+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query on Travel ban exceptions for open work permit holders

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Hello,
Can you let us know if you got to board the flight after getting the letter from IRCC ?
Thanks in advance
I couldn't even secure any letter from IRCC we are going back and forth in circles. I email them and they keep saying the same thing that I am exempt. I know I am exempt but without the letter it's useless. They know that too but aren't giving any letter.

Vamsi05

Jan 22, 2020
I couldn't even secure any letter from IRCC we are going back and forth in circles. I email them and they keep saying the same thing that I am exempt. I know I am exempt but without the letter it's useless. They know that too but aren't giving any letter.
Ohh ! Please keep us posted whenever you find any progress. I will have to do the same in near future.

Aug 5, 2019
Think the person missed that your husband is not a PR or citizen.
I did mention in my Email that my husband is on open work permit and I got the same reply. Temporary work permit holders can enter without any authorization letter if the travel is essential. It also depends on the departure country and the officer at border patrol. If we have any job offer in hand, it can be considered essential however not sure if we can acquire one without the work permit letter (as this would be my 1st time travel to canada and yet to receive work permit at immigration)

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
I did mention in my Email that my husband is on open work permit and I got the same reply. Temporary work permit holders can enter without any authorization letter if the travel is essential. It also depends on the departure country and the officer at border patrol. If we have any job offer in hand, it can be considered essential however not sure if we can acquire one without the work permit letter (as this would be my 1st time travel to canada and yet to receive work permit at immigration)
Hi I am the same situation as your husband. I am also in open work permit. I tried to board the plane with my daughter who is on student visa. But we were denied boarding. Airlines contact border patrol and they said our trip was non essential.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are working in healthcare you may be considered essential but many jobs will not be considered essential.

Joshva

Star Member
Aug 9, 2018
Hi !

My canada WP (ICT) was approved in Nov 2019.I did not enter canada yet.I am in US currently.My company is requesting me to work remotely from canada, as my work authorization in US is still pending adjudication from USCIS.

Is it possible to enter canada in the given circumstances? what chances do i have

Kindly advise

Reactions: NivedhithaCibi

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Hi are you able to enter even without a work offer? CBSA doesn't want to let any foreign workers enter without any job offer. I am on open work permit as well and will be my 1st time to land so will still get the permit.

vish4501

Jun 13, 2018
Hello guys ..

I had come to my home county in March 2020 and was student at u Ottawa . Now , I have cleared the course and completed my masters program and would be eligible to apply for pgwp . However , I have few qns with travel exempt clause .

1) I have valid study trv ( until 2021) visa and I have just applied online outside Canada would I be able to board and travel ?

2)I currently have a job offer Letter from a startup (in Toronto) but they want me join by July could I use this offer letter to show At POE ?

3) last question could I do contract jobs in pgwp ?

Would really appreciate for time and help . looking forward for reply .

regards
Vishal rk

Jatin001

Jun 8, 2018
Please keep posting...as i am also i the same situation .....,Thanks
I am yet to apply for authorization letter......have you applied?......if yes, where you have applied for authorization letter? Please details.
Need guidance..Thanks

Last edited:

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Hello guys ..

I had come to my home county in March 2020 and was student at u Ottawa . Now , I have cleared the course and completed my masters program and would be eligible to apply for pgwp . However , I have few qns with travel exempt clause .

1) I have valid study trv ( until 2021) visa and I have just applied online outside Canada would I be able to board and travel ?

2)I currently have a job offer Letter from a startup (in Toronto) but they want me join by July could I use this offer letter to show At POE ?

3) last question could I do contract jobs in pgwp ?

Would really appreciate for time and help . looking forward for reply .

regards
Vishal rk
Hi, the only way to know is to call CBSA. I think they will allow those with valid work, but the question here is do they also check what kind of work if it's essential? I am also confused about this. Because they have mentioned that supply chain, medical and agrictulture are considered essential. But for those in tech industries, I have no idea if they will consider this as essential.

Aug 5, 2019
I have contacted IRCC now they are saying i don't need any letter if its an essential travel... However border patrol sees it as non-essential. Solution? The authorization letter. We all need letters because it's too risky. Being at the airport and being denied boarding since they are asking for the authorization letter, is something TFW must have to avoid any problems.
Hi.. any update on your travel please? Were you able to get an authorization letter?

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Hi.. any update on your travel please? Were you able to get an authorization letter?
Yes i did get a letter. But it's useless since I called CBSA and told them about the letter. Turns out even if I have the letter from IRCC but I don't have a job waiting for me in Canada I won't be able to go in.

Jatin001

Jun 8, 2018
Yes i did get a letter. But it's useless since I called CBSA and told them about the letter. Turns out even if I have the letter from IRCC but I don't have a job waiting for me in Canada I won't be able to go in.
Can you please let us know the procedure to get Authorization Letter from IRCC? How to apply? where to apply? Thanks

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Can you please let us know the procedure to get Authorization Letter from IRCC? How to apply? where to apply? Thanks
Email us at IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca and provide all the following information for you and your immediate family member in Canada:

· Full name

· Date of Birth

· UCI

· Application Number

· Passport Number

· Detailed purpose of travel

· Proof of relationship with an immediate family member in Canada

· Proof of immigration status of the immediate family member in Canada

· Proof of Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization

Aug 5, 2019
Email us at IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca and provide all the following information for you and your immediate family member in Canada:

· Full name

· Date of Birth

· UCI

· Application Number

· Passport Number

· Detailed purpose of travel

· Proof of relationship with an immediate family member in Canada

· Proof of immigration status of the immediate family member in Canada

· Proof of Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization
I did provide all necessary details and mentioned reason for travel to reunite with my husband. They rejected my request saying it is non essential. Anyone has any idea when can they actually reopen borders for all international travel?