+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query on Travel ban exceptions for open work permit holders

Aug 5, 2019
Indian citizen. Open Work permit(dependent visa) approved last year and haven't travelled to Canada yet. Stuck in UK currently due to covid-19. Latest travel ban exception rules say temporary foreign workers can travel if they pass in airline medical check and provide appropriate isolation plan. Just confused whether I'm under temporary foreign worker category and did anyone travel recently to canada with similar visa status?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Indian citizen. Open Work permit(dependent visa) approved last year and haven't travelled to Canada yet. Stuck in UK currently due to covid-19. Latest travel ban exception rules say temporary foreign workers can travel if they pass in airline medical check and provide appropriate isolation plan. Just confused whether I'm under temporary foreign worker category and did anyone travel recently to canada with similar visa status?
You haven’t landed and assume your work isn’t essential so I believe the answer is no.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You should be able to travel according to the exemptions, it best to check with the airline what they will allow. "essential" doesn't actually mean you have to be doing essential work, this wording is even being removed from the border agencies guidance docs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should be able to travel according to the exemptions, it best to check with the airline what they will allow. "essential" doesn't actually mean you have to be doing essential work, this wording is even being removed from the border agencies guidance docs.
Yes but moving to Canada so you could work would not be considered an essential travel reason. This is especially the case if one has not landed with the OWP yet.

Aug 5, 2019
Is going back to reunite with immediate family member (spouse in my case) could be considered essential? My husband is in canada and my UK visa is also about to expire next month.
Cannot even go to India as it hasn't opened borders yet.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

vish4501

Jun 13, 2018
Hello guys

I Am a student pursuing my masters at Ottawa . I came to India on March 2nd and I had plans to leave by 30 th March . Unfortunately, the country decided to go under lockdown . I would like to know Two things here .

1)my visa is valid till 2021 , looking at the travel exempt by cic , will I be able to borad?

2) I read at one of the forum that special Provisons are being made for lifting the Canadian citizen at present , does this imply to Student visa, holders how have already landed Canada before March 18th ?

Would appreciate your help.
Looking for your reply.
Regards
Vish

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello guys

I Am a student pursuing my masters at Ottawa . I came to India on March 2nd and I had plans to leave by 30 th March . Unfortunately, the country decided to go under lockdown . I would like to know Two things here .

1)my visa is valid till 2021 , looking at the travel exempt by cic , will I be able to borad?

2) I read at one of the forum that special Provisons are being made for lifting the Canadian citizen at present , does this imply to Student visa, holders how have already landed Canada before March 18th ?

Looking for your reply.
Regards
Vish
Any repatriation flights will be for citizens or PRs. Have you started your course? If so you should be liaising with your school about any online schooling that may be possible.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Is going back to reunite with immediate family member (spouse in my case) could be considered essential? My husband is in canada and my UK visa is also about to expire next month.
Cannot even go to India as it hasn't opened borders yet.
I am on spouse open work visa and my daughter on student visa. Firs time to go to Canada to get the work permit and to see my husband who is also on w-1 closed work permit since January. Been stuck since March. Last 2 day ago I WAS NOT ABLE TO BOARD THE PLANE because they coordinated with the border patrol and said my TRAVEL WAS NON-ESSENTIAL. SINCE I DO NOT HAVE A JOB WAITING FOR ME AND MY DAUGHTER'S SCHOOL HAS NOT STARTED. I argued about the family reunification program but it seems like it fell on deaf ears so I have applied for a letter of essential travel to IRCC but I am now not sure if I am able to secure one because its not considered ESSENTIAL.

Reactions: Swethatippaluri

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
IF
Hello guys

Looking for your reply.
Regards
Vish
If you are on student visa, they will only let you board if school starts asap meaning next week or next month. If it does not they wont consider it as essential.

Aug 5, 2019
I am on spouse open work visa and my daughter on student visa. Firs time to go to Canada to get the work permit and to see my husband who is also on w-1 closed work permit since January. Been stuck since March. Last 2 day ago I WAS NOT ABLE TO BOARD THE PLANE because they coordinated with the border patrol and said my TRAVEL WAS NON-ESSENTIAL. SINCE I DO NOT HAVE A JOB WAITING FOR ME AND MY DAUGHTER'S SCHOOL HAS NOT STARTED. I argued about the family reunification program but it seems like it fell on deaf ears so I have applied for a letter of essential travel to IRCC but I am now not sure if I am able to secure one because its not considered ESSENTIAL.
Thanks for your reply. They had mentioned that the exceptional approval will come within 48 hours if it is a valid case. Please keep us updated if you find any way to travel. Good luck !

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Thanks for your reply. They had mentioned that the exceptional approval will come within 48 hours if it is a valid case. Please keep us updated if you find any way to travel. Good luck !
I have contacted IRCC now they are saying i don't need any letter if its an essential travel... However border patrol sees it as non-essential. Solution? The authorization letter. We all need letters because it's too risky. Being at the airport and being denied boarding since they are asking for the authorization letter, is something TFW must have to avoid any problems.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have contacted IRCC now they are saying i don't need any letter if its an essential travel... However border patrol sees it as non-essential. Solution? The authorization letter. We all need letters because it's too risky. Being at the airport and being denied boarding since they are asking for the authorization letter, is something TFW must have to avoid any problems.
Think the person missed that your husband is not a PR or citizen.

Vamsi05

Jan 22, 2020
Hello,
Can you let us know if you got to board the flight after getting the letter from IRCC ?
Thanks in advance