+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query on Taxes

Dano2014

Jul 8, 2014
Will appreciate seniors input on this. Two years back we came to Canada in a short landing and went back home to have some issues settled before we make our final transition to Canada, I came back to Canada with my kids 3 months ago and my husband will be following us in 6 months time, he has a work contract that he needs to complete before coming here, that's why he will be delayed. My question is: when I apply for the child's benefit, the spouse income will need to be declared for the previous year, but do we have to pay income taxes for these few months during which my husband is still working overseas, what implications applying for the child benefit my have? would the CRA question us about paying taxes on these months?

Thank you for your help

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
No, even if he filed (but not required) the income tax computation would be still be zero for one month income (unless he had like a $20,000++ income for a month) if he considers himself as resident for tax purposes because of you living in Canada. IMO, he doesn't have to file as he is not required to file, but you should file zero income so you are in CRA's system.
CRA will ask for your family's worldwide income for 2016-2017 just for the BASIS of their CCB computation.

Dano2014

Jul 8, 2014
No, even if he filed (but not required) the income tax computation would be still be zero for one month income (unless he had like a $20,000++ income for a month) if he considers himself as resident for tax purposes because of you living in Canada. IMO, he doesn't have to file as he is not required to file, but you should file zero income so you are in CRA's system.
CRA will ask for your family's worldwide income for 2016-2017 just for the BASIS of their CCB computation.
Thanks for answering. But in the child benefit form, both parents must sign the form, does this mean that I can't apply unless my husband is here?

Also my understanding is that, there are additional forms (form RC66sch & CTB9) that should be filled by my husband for the purpose of declaring his income for the previous year, these forms should be provided along with the CCB application, is my understanding correct?

You mentioned that he doesn't need to file taxes for 2017, will the forms mentioned above compensate for this?

Lastly, will the CRA ask for proof of income, if yes, what kind of proof they may ask for?

I know that I am being inquisitive, but these tax laws seem complex for me, may be because we are still not well settled yet. Thank you again for your input.

Last edited:

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Email the forms to him, let him sign, scan and email them back to you. Easy.
3 forms to submit to CRA:
1. Canada Child Benefits Application
2. Status in Canada / Statement of Income
3. Canada Child Benefit – Statement of Income
Proof of income is ITR, does he not file ITR in his country? Or statement from his employer about his earnings.