+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query: I have an Open Work Permit but I received TRV showing visa type as a Visitor visa.

npnan

Star Member
Apr 20, 2021
Hi , same situation...//received V1 instead of S1 or W1 when applied for TRV after sp or wp-ext. What it means having wp valid and v1 when you travel and come back? Does it need to be W1/S1 in TRV passport stamp? i am trying to tall to IRCC agent but can not connect yet.. Guys, plz share your experience.

npnan

Star Member
Apr 20, 2021
I talked to IRCC agent and they said no issue.. see below: (V1 just allow to reenter, without SP/WP it let you enter for 6 month and with WP in hand let you enter till expirey of WP) note: you need to apply new permit when wp or sp expire or even need to apply even if u want to change to visitor status inside canada. nutshell: they are offering this as a new way of entry! but permit let you study or work!
Difference between a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) and a Status Document after arrival in Canada

Entry
and stay in Canada are two different things and the validity of each is determined by different documents.

Entry - Visa (TRV)

A TRV allows entry into Canada. It is valid for a limited period of time. You must therefore come to Canada and present yourself at a port of entry up until the expiry date on your TRV.

Please note that a valid TRV does not guarantee entry into Canada. If your situation has changed between the date you applied for your TRV and the date you arrived in Canada, an officer will decide if you still meet the requirements to enter the country.

Stay - Stamp or Status Document

Once entered, the duration of your stay will not be determined by the validity of your TRV but by either a stamp in your passport or a status document such as a work permit or a study permit. In the absence of any of those, unless there is a date written by hand on the stamp in your passport, you are deemed to have been authorized a stay of 6 months.

Re-entry

While you are in Canada, your TRV may expire. This has no effect on the validity and duration of your stay. However, if you plan on leaving and returning to Canada, you are required to obtain a new TRV. As an exception, you do not have to obtain a new TRV if you are returning to Canada after travelling only to the United States* and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon by the end of the period initially authorized for your stay or any extension to it.

*Including its Territories and Possessions, but not cruises entering international waters.

Reactions: Miracle2018

Priya99

Oct 4, 2021
Hi,

I did my master's degree in Canada and completed it in 2020. I applied for my open work permit from within Canada and received it in January 2021. After receiving my open work permit, I applied for a temporary resident visa (TRV) in February 2021 from within Canada. I got my passport stamped in August 2021. But my visa classification shows visitor (V1) with multiple entries. All my friends who applied at the same time got worker (W1) stamped in their passports. I am still in Canada.

1. Will the visa classification affect my work permit status?
2. Is it possible to get the TRV visa classification changed by raising a separate request? I doubt that because there is no separate category while applying for TRV (only options are Visitor or Transit). Please correct me if I am wrong.
3. My understanding is that a TRV is required only to enter the Country whereas my open work document defines my eligibility to work and current residency status in Canada. Even though my visa says visitor but my residency status is that of a worker due to my open work permit. Therefore, I can continue to live and work in Canada until my work permit expires or I travel outside Canada. Is my understanding correct?
4. If I travel outside Canada for a certain duration (weeks or months), can I enter again with my visitor visa (TRV) and open work permit document? If permitted can I continue working with my current employer? This is my main query.

I will appreciate the help.

Thank you

Hi there,

I have the same case. II have the same issue and this is what I found at IRCC website. https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=208&top=22

Foreign students and workers who got a temporary resident (visitor) visa in Canada
If there is a V-1 code on your visitor visa

This is not an error. Due to COVID-19, we have temporary measures in place to process visitor visa applications submitted from inside Canada.

• Foreign students and workers who applied for a visitor visa in Canada since July 2021 may get a V-1 visitor visa.
  • You can use your V-1 visa to leave and re-enter Canada – the same way you would use your S-1 or W-1 visa.
  • You don’t need to request a different type of visa or follow up with the processing office or client support centre. A new visa will not be issued in this case.
Validity period is different on the V-1 visa

• The V-1 visa is valid until the expiration date of your passport.
    • This is part of the temporary measures in place that will be in effect until further notice.
    • If your V-1 visa expires, you can apply for a new visitor visa.

krishkrish

Star Member
Dec 30, 2019
Hi,

I have Canada open work permit, I came to India last 4 months back and applied TRV in India.
I got 10 years of Visiter visa instead of a work visa stamp, Now I am planning to travel to Canada Should I need to buy a one-way ticket or a round ticket because visitors visa need to have a two-way ticket.

krishkrish

Star Member
Dec 30, 2019
I also got a v1 stamp instead of w1. Now I want to travel from India to Toronto Canada.
I want to buy a One-way flight ticket or a two-way ticket because everyone saying visitor visa stamp needs to book two-way tickets.

How you traveled Please help me.

krishkrish

Star Member
Dec 30, 2019
I also got a v1 stamp instead of w1. Now I want to travel from India to Toronto Canada.
I want to buy a One-way flight ticket or a two-way ticket because everyone saying visitor visa stamp needs to book two-way tickets.

Lucymax

Jul 10, 2018

I am going to india at the end of November. I also have the V1 category on my passport. So don't worry, passport is just a travel document.
Remember, You need your Work permit(Visa). Both essential and non essential travel are allowed.
Register on arrivecan app.
Keep you vaccination certificate.

Reactions: krishkrish

Blazikaran

May 15, 2021
Hi,

I did my master's degree in Canada and completed it in 2020. I applied for my open work permit from within Canada and received it in January 2021. After receiving my open work permit, I applied for a temporary resident visa (TRV) in February 2021 from within Canada. I got my passport stamped in August 2021. But my visa classification shows visitor (V1) with multiple entries. All my friends who applied at the same time got worker (W1) stamped in their passports. I am still in Canada.

1. Will the visa classification affect my work permit status?
2. Is it possible to get the TRV visa classification changed by raising a separate request? I doubt that because there is no separate category while applying for TRV (only options are Visitor or Transit). Please correct me if I am wrong.
3. My understanding is that a TRV is required only to enter the Country whereas my open work document defines my eligibility to work and current residency status in Canada. Even though my visa says visitor but my residency status is that of a worker due to my open work permit. Therefore, I can continue to live and work in Canada until my work permit expires or I travel outside Canada. Is my understanding correct?
4. If I travel outside Canada for a certain duration (weeks or months), can I enter again with my visitor visa (TRV) and open work permit document? If permitted can I continue working with my current employer? This is my main query.

I will appreciate the help.

Thank you
My TRV application was approved within 3 days and I got stamped passport back the next week, but with Visitor instead of worker. In my opinion, judging from the discussions on the thread I feel it is to promote tourism(given the fast process) and should not be an issue at the border while re-entry as long as you provide the work permit and probably employer proof(i.e stubs or proof of employment letter).

I have had a hard time reaching out to call IRCC, but i am going to try on Monday morning to clarify this. Lets hope for the best!

Blazikaran

May 15, 2021
My TRV application was approved within 3 days and I got stamped passport back the next week, but with Visitor instead of worker. In my opinion, judging from the discussions on the thread I feel it is to promote tourism(given the fast process) and should not be an issue at the border while re-entry as long as you provide the work permit and probably employer proof(i.e stubs or proof of employment letter).

I have had a hard time reaching out to call IRCC, but i am going to try on Monday morning to clarify this. Lets hope for the best!
Update:
I called IRCC. The officer told me there has been a new policy in place due to Covid-19. If you are inside Canada and on a study/work permit and apply for a TRV, you are issued a Visiting TRV until the expiry of your passport. When you reutrn to the country, you must show the officer Your work/study permit so they do not stamp an official exit date on your passport. Initially I was worried but it actually turned out to be a very favourable situation for all WP/SP holders that are in the country.

krishkrish

Star Member
Dec 30, 2019
Thank you so much for your reply, I have one more question You said it's a favorable situation.
may I know how it's helpful?

Thanks in advance

Blazikaran

May 15, 2021
Thank you so much for your reply, I have one more question You said it's a favorable situation.
may I know how it's helpful?

Thanks in advance
Its favourable for a person like myself who has less than a year of Work Permit left. In the future when my status expires and I fly back to India, I have the option to come back as a visitor while I wait for my PR application. I don’t see any losses here just wins.