Query: Housing question/advice near York University, Toronto

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

This question is for people who are in Canada at the moment. I'd been active on students section on this forum and posted this query there but didn't got much responses.

The more time I spent in searching for an affordable accommodation, the more confused and stressed I get.

I've a few question to people who are in Canada (or better, North York, Toronto), please do respond back:

1. Do we always need to sign a lease of 12 months? What if you want to change in few months and break the lease? Hoe easy is is to sublet to students (in case you have to move out)?

2. Residence costs a lot and we need to pay 8 months rent in advance. Any benefit of living in Residence which justifies the high cost?

3. Any recommendation for housing near York University, Toronto?

4. Average prices for a room in a house in North York region (Toronto)?

5. For room in a house, do we also need to sign a lease? If yes, then for how many months and what is the minimum stay required?

6. Except craiglist and torontostar, any other links for searching for accommodation? Are the pictures, facilities mentioned genuine on the website? How to book a room in Canada from India?

7. Most hotel price seems to be 110 per day! Any reasonable accommodation suggestion for 2-3 day or a week's stay.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

GS

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Legally speaking, yes. But lots of people rent out without making lease agreement.
2. Legally first and last month, but when it comes no credit history, potential renters might add more amount of deposit to "sweeten" it.
3. Check the off/on campus section or craiglist
4. If you don't mind to share a bedroom/living room with the poster below for $425/month, contact him for details:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/toronto-room-rental-roommate-t76648.0.html

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
1. Legally speaking, yes. But lots of people rent out without making lease agreement.
2. Legally first and last month, but when it comes no credit history, potential renters might add more amount of deposit to "sweeten" it.
3. Check the off/on campus section or craiglist
4. If you don't mind to share a bedroom/living room with the poster below for $425/month, contact him for details:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/toronto-room-rental-roommate-t76648.0.html
Thanks Steaky,

Very useful information. The link/apartment you shared in in downtown so it would be too far from my campus.

Now a legal question: as far as I know, even if you sign a lease, and give a 60 days advance notice to you landlord, then you can vacate your apartment/room even before the lease expires. Is it true or not?

Thanks,
GS