Query: Housing question/advice for Canada

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

This question is for people who are in Canada at the moment.

The more time I spent in searching for an affordable accommodation, the more confused and stressed I get.

I've a few question to people who are in Canada, please do respond back:

1. Do we always need to sign a lease of 12 months? What if you want to change in few months and break the lease? Hoe easy is is to sublet to students (in case you have to move out)?

2. Residence costs a lot and we need to pay 8 months rent in advance. Any benefit of living in Residence which justifies the high cost?

3. Any recommendation for housing near York University, Toronto?

4. Average prices for a room in a house in North York region (Toronto)?

5. For room in a house, do we also need to sign a lease? If yes, then for how many months and what is the minimum stay required?

6. Except craiglist and torontostar, any other links for searching for accomodation? Are the pictures, facilities mentioned genuine on the website? How to book a room in Canada from India?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

GS

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
No you dont always have to sign a lease for 12 months, but most of the time it is an requirement to sign a lease for 12 months..

You can look at Toronto Kijiji if you like, there are some really good housing options on that site, I rented out my apartment from that..

If you want to break your lease than it all depends on your landlord to be honest, If hes a nice guy he would just take away your last months rent and leave you alone but according to the laws you have to pay for every month to get out of a lease, So be very careful in Signing a lease specially if your living with someone.

Not really, I personally think that there is no benefit at all to live in residence but this is my personal opinion, The only benefit is that your near the univeristy, Most of the time residences are very loud and it can be hard to study, And to be honest sometimes it is good to just get out of that student world, Residences are more like hostels..I mean they are good but off campus accomodation is better in terms of comfort.

I dont live in Toronto so I dont know the room prices.

If you rent a room in a House chances are that you will be still required to sign a lease, but there are also chances that you may not have to sign a lease because its a house and homeowners dont weant you to be committed to for that long. But most of the house owners also ask for a lease signing. Depends, you just have to look hard..

Its better to get yourself a temporary accomodation here in Canada which is a much better idea than you can start searching as soon as you land here.

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
icecool222 said:
Its better to get yourself a temporary accomodation here in Canada which is a much better idea than you can start searching as soon as you land here.
Thanks icecool,

You reply was very helpful.

Even I wanted to stay in a temporary accommodation for 1 week and then lease out something.

However, the hotels near the Uni are extremely expensive( (> 100/night excluding taxes). If I stay there for 3-4 days, it would cost around 500.

Do you any temp accommodation resources which may cost up to 200-250/week?

Thanks,
GS

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
GS_Stud said:
Thanks icecool,

You reply was very helpful.

Even I wanted to stay in a temporary accommodation for 1 week and then lease out something.

However, the hotels near the Uni are extremely expensive( (> 100/night excluding taxes). If I stay there for 3-4 days, it would cost around 500.

Do you any temp accommodation resources which may cost up to 200-250/week?

Thanks,
GS
Not I am aware of, when I came here I paid like 80 a night until i found a temporary accomodation, First thing you do is get a cell phone in Canada as soon as you Land and than try to access internet so you can look around accomodation..

Paul-in-Canada

Mar 10, 2011
Let me try to answer some of your questions ....

Try Googling terms like "Vacation Rental + YourCityName" or "Short Term Rental + YourCityName". Try these terms even in CL search.

Vacation/Short Term Rentals are usually more expensive than (regular) 12 month lease kind of rentals, but way less than what Hotels charge.

For example if a Regular apartment is $800 / month, then its Short Term (1-3 month) rent is usually around $1200 / month (almost 50% more)

If you compare it with a hotel for 30 days, you end up paying $3000 ($100/day).

Short Term Rentals are (very) easy to find in off-season rather than in a (tourist) season.

The pics posted in ads are mostly genuine, but believe me, apartments/homes in pics looks pretty most of the times. It may not look as pretty when u see it in person.

Hope it helps ..... :)

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
icecool222 said:
Not I am aware of, when I came here I paid like 80 a night until i found a temporary accomodation, First thing you do is get a cell phone in Canada as soon as you Land and than try to access internet so you can look around accomodation..
Thanks a lot icecool.

I was told to get a Public Mobile as it is no contract, and at about (15 + 15) 30/month you can make unlimited calls to India and in canadian province.

I checked and my phone will work in Canada. Can I use Public Mobile sim, put it in my phone, and use it right away?

How long does it takes for the whole process of getting and activating the sim? Can it be done at the Airport itself?

Thanks,
GS

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Paul-in-Canada said:
The pics posted in ads are mostly genuine, but believe me, apartments/homes in pics looks pretty most of the times. It may not look as pretty when see it in person.

Hope it helps ..... :)
Thanks Paul,

Very useful tips. Seems like yearly lease is the only way to go.

I've a co-op of 4 months after 4 months. If I have to move out, how easy is to to sublet our room (since you have signed a lease)?

Thanks,
GS

Paul-in-Canada

Mar 10, 2011
GS_Stud said:
Thanks Paul,

Very useful tips. Seems like yearly lease is the only way to go.

I've a co-op of 4 months after 4 months. If I have to move out, how easy is to to sublet our room (since you have signed a lease)?

Thanks,
GS
Subletting is not easy. Actually it depends on your landlord. Ask him before signing the lease. Most of the times its clearly mentioned in the lease that you cannot sublet the apartment. So just speak to your Landlord and read the lease carefully before signing.

Also if money is tight, you can share apartment with other Students/Professionals. Google "Shared Apartments + YourCityName". U may find a good deal.

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
GS_Stud said:
Thanks a lot icecool.

I was told to get a Public Mobile as it is no contract, and at about (15 + 15) 30/month you can make unlimited calls to India and in canadian province.

I checked and my phone will work in Canada. Can I use Public Mobile sim, put it in my phone, and use it right away?

How long does it takes for the whole process of getting and activating the sim? Can it be done at the Airport itself?

Thanks,
GS

You can get a pay as you go phone straight away from rogers shop without any formalities.