+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query : Driving License, Proof of Funds & Electornic goods from India

Canadian4U

May 12, 2010
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
D/All,

Would request to kindly give your valuable inputs on my below mentioned queries :

1. Funds requirement for family of 3 is CAD 17011. How much(Maximum) I can carry as cash.
Note : Landing alone. Wife and kid will follow in next couple of months.

2. Electronic Good : Is it worth to carry electronic items from India. Items such as "DVD Player, Press, Rice Cooker, Vaccum cleaner etc"?
I heard that 220v supplies electronic good work in india however supply in canada is 110v(Not very confident about this)

3. Driving License : An immigrant required to carry along driving license? if yes national or international required?

Thanks

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Funds requirement for family of 3 is CAD 17011. How much(Maximum) I can carry as cash.
Note : Landing alone. Wife and kid will follow in next couple of months.?
>> any amount which you wish to bring to Canada. There is no upper limit.

2. Electronic Good : Is it worth to carry electronic items from India. Items such as "DVD Player, Press, Rice Cooker, Vaccum cleaner etc"?
I heard that 220v supplies electronic good work in india however supply in canada is 110v(Not very confident about this)
>>>> No need to any of these stuff which u have mentioned. It would not work here and these thing ar quite cheap here.

3. Driving License : An immigrant required to carry along driving license? if yes national or international required?
.>> Bring original DL and the authentication letter from the transport authority on their letter head and rubber stamp

Canadian4U

May 12, 2010
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
explorer101 said:
Note : Landing alone. Wife and kid will follow in next couple of months.?
>> any amount which you wish to bring to Canada. There is no upper limit.

>>>> No need to any of these stuff which u have mentioned. It would not work here and these thing ar quite cheap here.

.>> Bring original DL and the authentication letter from the transport authority on their letter head and rubber stamp
Paji - Thanks for your reply.

Out of CAD 17011 how much cash one can carry during landing... Someone says $3000 someone says $5000?

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian4U said:
Paji - Thanks for your reply.

Out of CAD 17011 how much cash one can carry during landing... Someone says $3000 someone says $5000?
Really does not matter....you may carry as less as $300. It is convenient to carry some cash to deal with first couple of days.

Mitali

Canadian4U

May 12, 2010
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mitali said:
Really does not matter....you may carry as less as $300. It is convenient to carry some cash to deal with first couple of days.

Mitali
Thanks Mitali - I wanted to carry as much I can out of CAD 17011. Just wanted to know the upper limit from India.

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian4U said:
Thanks Mitali - I wanted to carry as much I can out of CAD 17011. Just wanted to know the upper limit from India.
I believe it is $5000 USD according to the link below: Scroll to point # 6.

http://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/FAQView.aspx?Id=11

There is a page in your passport (last but one) which will have details stamped on it regarding the foreign exchange for travelling expenses.It will be wise to double check with the Airport authorities before your departure so that you are not surprised if any new Law has kicked in. I urge you to double check because the link is dated Jun 2004...hopefully it is updated!!!!

Mitali

nano24482

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/02/2010
Doc's Request.
20/04/2010
AOR Received.
27/08/2010
File Transfer...
27/04/2010
1. Check the link below.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp
I think the upper limit is 10,000 dollars.
In my opinion carry around 1000 to 2000 dollars cash and open a bank account in a Canadian Bank from India itself.
You can carry lesser cash too, but it could be useful in case you are fined or anything(lets hope it doesn't happen).

2. Electrical/Electronic Goods:
Bring only portable electronic goods(cell phone, laptop, etc). Home appliances are quite cheap and to operate Indian appliances you'll need voltage converter which again is costly. Check prices online on Canadian website to get a picture.

3. Driving Licence:
If you have driving licence in your home country, than get an international one. Indian RTO provides International licence on your Licence when you show them your visa and ticket. If you have licence from India and it is some years old than your insurance premium, when you buy a car will be much less than if you have a brand new license.
Plus getting licence in Canada from base point will be time consuming...

Canadian4U said:

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nano24482 said:
1. Check the link below.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp
I think the upper limit is 10,000 dollars.
Hi Nano,

How have you been doing? I just have a little correction to make on your post....hope you don't mind.

Any amount of $10,000 Cad (cash) and above needs to be reported at Canadian POE during landing.This rule is in effect on all occasions- Visit, study or brief transit that requires leaving the Airport.

He could get all the amount $17,000 in cash, but he has to report that without fail......so there is actually NO UPPER LIMIT to the amount of cash that one can bring in.

His latter question was related to - How much cash can he take out of INDIA?
and the answer is - $5000USD according to the Reserve Bank of India weblink in my previous post, that requires confirmation from Airport authorities/RBI before his departure from India.

Mitali

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:D Hi,
I agree to mitali's post. Usually people don't think about the restrictions from RBI side and also the customs or immigration at departure airports at India won't ask about the money some one carry. However, carrying liquid cash below 2000 CAD would be sufficient and safe for any one during travel.

soby

Mar 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 15, 2009
Doc's Request.
Oct 30, 2009
AOR Received.
Feb18, 2010
File Transfer...
Nov 3, 2009
Med's Request
March 4, 2011
Med's Done....
March 19 & 26, 2011
Interview........
Jan 30, 2011
Passport Req..
Sept 15, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 19, 2011 (PP Submitted on 13/10 received on 20/10)
LANDED..........
March 2, 2012
mitali said:
His latter question was related to - How much cash can he take out of INDIA?
and the answer is - $5000USD according to the Reserve Bank of India weblink in my previous post, that requires confirmation from Airport authorities/RBI before his departure from India.

Mitali
But the point No 6 says Either USD 5000 or the amount precribed by the country of emigration. so here its CAD 17011. so you must be allowed that amount to be carried.(not in cash though)

"6. How much foreign exchange is available to a person going abroad on immigration?

Person going abroad for immigration can draw foreign exchange upto US$ 5,000 or the amount prescribed by the country of emigration from an authorised dealer in India. These amount is only to meet the incidental expenses in the country of migration. No amount of foreign exchange can be remitted outside India to become eligible or for earning points or credits for immigration. All such remittances require prior permission of the Reserve Bank."

Rgds,
Soby

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
soby said:
But the point No 6 says Either USD 5000 or the amount precribed by the country of emigration. so here its CAD 17011. so you must be allowed that amount to be carried.(not in cash though)

"6. How much foreign exchange is available to a person going abroad on immigration?

Person going abroad for immigration can draw foreign exchange upto US$ 5,000 or the amount prescribed by the country of emigration from an authorised dealer in India. These amount is only to meet the incidental expenses in the country of migration. No amount of foreign exchange can be remitted outside India to become eligible or for earning points or credits for immigration. All such remittances require prior permission of the Reserve Bank."

Rgds,
Soby
You answered your own question.....He could take $17011 but only $ 5000USD in CASH out of India.

Mitali