Query: Admission Timeline (Seneca), Study Visa and SPP

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Friends,

I've been reading posts in this forum from past few weeks and I am quite impressed with the quality of discussion and interaction happening among past, present and future International students.

I must thanks everybody in this forum who had spent so much of time and efforts in answering newbie queries. Though the past discussion had given me a rough idea about most of my questions, I would still be interested in getting my ideas validated. As they say, half knowledge is worse than no knowledge.

I'd highly appreciate if anyone of you be kind enough to answer few of my basic queries (and validating/contradicting my thoughts) about timelines for Admission and Study Visa, and SPP requirements:

Q1. How much time does it actually takes to get admission/refusal letter from Seneca (Toronto) for a post graduate certificate program? I self-applied as a student in first week of March 2011 and sent my documents immediately after that which reached the college after a week and I didn't heard anything from them yet.

When can I expect the most awaited letter (admission offer) of my life?

Q2. How much time does it takes for CHC New Delhi to issue study visa in SPP category with premedical done before applying? I do understand that it depends upon case to case but a rough idea would be good enough.

In addition, how much does it cost for Visa fees, and for medical test fees? Do we need to pay medical test fees or is it included in Visa fees (pre medical or post medical cases?)?

Q3. I understand that for SPP we need to include a loan approval letter. The loan amount required seems to be: 80% of tuition fees + living cost. If my fees if 12,000 CAD, then does this calculation looks correct: 9600 (80% of 12,000) + 10,000 (living cost) = 19600 CAD or roughly Rs 9 lakhs (INR)

Q4. Is there any requirement to pay first semester fees (say 6000 CAD) before applying for Visa? How much time usually we get after we receive the offer letter and the last date for transferring funds?

In your experience what people general do: do they pay the fees after or before applying for Visa?

Q5. What happens if we pay the fees before Visa application and our visa is rejected? How much money is deducted by college and how soon do they return the funds?

Q6. A personal question (feel free to skip if you are not comfortable to answer it on a public forum): If you had the chance to go back in time, and reconsider your decision to study in Canada, will you still opt to study in Canada? If yes, then what would be the motivating factors for your decision. If no, then what would be the reason of your apathy (lack of enthusiasm)?

Thank you very much for reading my query and I hope to hear from this excellent International student community soon.

Thanks,
GS

Obeid_oo

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GS_Stud said:
Hi Friends,

I've been reading posts in this forum from past few weeks and I am quite impressed with the quality of discussion and interaction happening among past, present and future International students.

I must thanks everybody in this forum who had spent so much of time and efforts in answering newbie queries. Though the past discussion had given me a rough idea about most of my questions, I would still be interested in getting my ideas validated. As they say, half knowledge is worse than no knowledge.

I'd highly appreciate if anyone of you be kind enough to answer few of my basic queries (and validating/contradicting my thoughts) about timelines for Admission and Study Visa, and SPP requirements:

Q1. How much time does it actually takes to get admission/refusal letter from Seneca (Toronto) for a post graduate certificate program? I self-applied as a student in first week of March 2011 and sent my documents immediately after that which reached the college after a week and I didn't heard anything from them yet.

When can I expect the most awaited letter (admission offer) of my life?

Q2. How much time does it takes for CHC New Delhi to issue study visa in SPP category with premedical done before applying? I do understand that it depends upon case to case but a rough idea would be good enough.

In addition, how much does it cost for Visa fees, and for medical test fees? Do we need to pay medical test fees or is it included in Visa fees (pre medical or post medical cases?)?

Q3. I understand that for SPP we need to include a loan approval letter. The loan amount required seems to be: 80% of tuition fees + living cost. If my fees if 12,000 CAD, then does this calculation looks correct: 9600 (80% of 12,000) + 10,000 (living cost) = 19600 CAD or roughly Rs 9 lakhs (INR)

Q4. Is there any requirement to pay first semester fees (say 6000 CAD) before applying for Visa? How much time usually we get after we receive the offer letter and the last date for transferring funds?

In your experience what people general do: do they pay the fees after or before applying for Visa?

Q5. What happens if we pay the fees before Visa application and our visa is rejected? How much money is deducted by college and how soon do they return the funds?

Q6. A personal question (feel free to skip if you are not comfortable to answer it on a public forum): If you had the chance to go back in time, and reconsider your decision to study in Canada, will you still opt to study in Canada? If yes, then what would be the motivating factors for your decision. If no, then what would be the reason of your apathy (lack of enthusiasm)?

Thank you very much for reading my query and I hope to hear from this excellent International student community soon.

Thanks,
GS

Hello GS
A1. Well if your IELTS is done then Time framework usually varies from 1-1.5 months for obtaining acceptance, sometimes it is longer depending upon the number of students applying .

A2. to the best of my knowledge it takes one to two weeks max for decision making under SPP .

A3. your calculation is fine, you can also show additional documents like FD's, bank statements which belong to you.

A4. generally people don't pay the fees before applying, but under SPP u must make payment of first semester.

A5. If your app is rejected then the college will refund 85-90% of your fee.

http://www.vfs-canada.co.in/images/SPP%20Checklist%20English%20Version.pdf.... this is the SPP check list link

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Obeid,

Thanks a lot for the information. it is very useful.

generally people don't pay the fees before applying, but under SPP u must make payment of first semester.
Does this means that in my SPP application I can show a loan of 6 lakhs and show that I've submitted the first sem fee of 3 lakhs (making it a total of 9 lakhs; the required amount)?

Thanks,
GS

Obeid_oo

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GS_Stud said:
Hi Obeid,

Thanks a lot for the information. it is very useful.

Does this means that in my SPP application I can show a loan of 6 lakhs and show that I've submitted the first sem fee of 3 lakhs (making it a total of 9 lakhs; the required amount)?

Thanks,
GS
hi , yes you can show the fee receipts and payment to college thru bank wire

you can show them that your loan was 9 lakhs and after payment it was 3 lakhs.

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot Obeid,

Appreciate your help!

I'm just a bit worried about the offer letter. Seneca seems to be kind of slow in responding to emails or in the processing.

It's been 4 weeks and my heart is pumping faster every moment with anxiety :)

GS

Obeid_oo

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GS_Stud said:
Thanks a lot Obeid,

Appreciate your help!

I'm just a bit worried about the offer letter. Seneca seems to be kind of slow in responding to emails or in the processing.

It's been 4 weeks and my heart is pumping faster every moment with anxiety :)

GS
Have u tried mailing the international admissions office ?

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Obeid,

I'd mailed them a week back and didn't received any reply.

I called them five minutes back and checked status of my application. They checked their records and confirmed that they have received my application but they didn't had the time to evaluate it yet.

They told me to wait for another 4 weeks and also told me that it usually takes 6-8 weeks of processing time in Seneca.

Alas, four more weeks of anxiety coming my way! Beam me up scotty!

- GS

Obeid_oo

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GS_Stud said:
Hi Obeid,

I'd mailed them a week back and didn't received any reply.

I called them five minutes back and checked status of my application. They checked their records and confirmed that they have received my application but they didn't had the time to evaluate it yet.

They told me to wait for another 4 weeks and also told me that it usually takes 6-8 weeks of processing time in Seneca.

Alas, four more weeks of anxiety coming my way! Beam me up scotty!

- GS
Well that means waiting for a month , at least you can get enough time to attend the seminar

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I finally received the much awaited admission letter from Seneca.

Here are my timelines:
  • Self applied to Seneca (without any consultant) online at Seneca website: First week of Mar
  • Sent my documents through DHL from New Delhi: Start of Second week of Mar
  • Document received by Seneca (took 5 days): End of second week of Mar
  • Admission Letter dispatched through TNT courier from Toronto (took exactly 4 weeks for admission decision): End of second week of April
  • Admission letter received in New Delhi (took 5 more days): Third week of April

Thanks to everyone ( @ Obeid and others) who provided information related to my queries.

- GS

Obeid_oo

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GS_Stud said:
Hi All,

I finally received the much awaited admission letter from Seneca.

Here are my timelines:
  • Self applied to Seneca (without any consultant) online at Seneca website: First week of Mar
  • Sent my documents through DHL from New Delhi: Start of Second week of Mar
  • Document received by Seneca (took 5 days): End of second week of Mar
  • Admission Letter dispatched through TNT courier from Toronto (took exactly 4 weeks for admission decision): End of second week of April
  • Admission letter received in New Delhi (took 5 more days): Third week of April

Thanks to everyone ( @ Obeid and others) who provided information related to my queries.

- GS
HI GS , that sounds like good news, so you can apply as soon as your other documents are in order

as for me I am still waiting for the last 2 papers from Holland , my consent forms.

rasel

Apr 23, 2011
Canada.
Visa Office......
VFS Singapore
App. Filed.......
20-05-2013
IELTS Request
7 (L: 7.5, R, W: 6.5, S: 7)
File Transfer...
27-05-2013
Med's Request
11-06-2013
Med's Done....
12-06-2013
Passport Req..
13-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-07-2013
LANDED..........
30-08-2013
Hi GS_Stud, nice to hear that you got Acceptance from Seneca College.

I also got the Acceptance from Seneca last week in "Computer Programmer" diploma. Now the same question arise in my mind like you which is :

In our country there is no SPP facility. So I am applying for visa as a general student. Now what r u doing to solve this problem? R u sending the 1st semester tuition fee to the Seneca??

I send a mail to Seneca, asking about their refund policy. But they didn't answer my query yet.

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rasel said:
In our country there is no SPP facility. So I am applying for visa as a general student. Now what r u doing to solve this problem? R u sending the 1st semester tuition fee to the Seneca??

I send a mail to Seneca, asking about their refund policy. But they didn't answer my query yet.
Hi Rasel,

You offer letter will have a last date for paying first sem fees (top right). And since it takes time for an international transaction to reach your overseas college account, you have to submit the fees at least 10 days before the expiry date (2 weeks before to be safe).

In my letter, the date was only 8 weeks after I got the letter (I got it after 1 week since it got issued). This means that I must make payment in next 5 weeks. I think your case would be similar.

I once read somewhere in Seneca website that in case your visa is rejected, Seneca deducts about 200 CAD and returns rest of the money.

200 CAD is a very less amount compared to the dream of higher studies. I'm sure you would agree :)

-GS

jas_to_canada

Star Member
Dec 9, 2010
Toronto
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
GS_Stud said:
Hi Rasel,

You offer letter will have a last date for paying first sem fees (top right). And since it takes time for an international transaction to reach your overseas college account, you have to submit the fees at least 10 days before the expiry date (2 weeks before to be safe).

In my letter, the date was only 8 weeks after I got the letter (I got it after 1 week since it got issued). This means that I must make payment in next 5 weeks. I think your case would be similar.

I once read somewhere in Seneca website that in case your visa is rejected, Seneca deducts about 200 CAD and returns rest of the money.

200 CAD is a very less amount compared to the dream of higher studies. I'm sure you would agree :)

-GS
To be more precise they deduct CAD$ 100 if Visa is rejected and CAD$400-500 if you Defer the admission

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
1 - I do not know about Seneca, but I applied for Sheridan first in February and I got admission letter in couple weeks. I accepted it but than later on dropped it and applied for Humber. I was in touch with them through out time. They are good in email responses. Usually get reply with in 24 - 48 hrs of the inquiry. I got admission 2nd week and received my admission letter via UPS. My city din't have UPS so they locally dispatched LOA kit thru TCS to my home. Got it in 4th day from Canada!!

2 - You urself got visa in 11 working days, so does mehtab.92. I guess, 1 months is more than enough for ND to finalize cases ( I am jealous :p)

3 - Yeah, ur calculations are good.

4 - I guess, follow your fee deadline instead of VISA, coz by not paying fee, you may loose your chances of scoring your seat for the session your are applying for.

5 - Every college has refund policy. Everyone charges different. At Humber, if VISA has been rejected, you have to inform them immediately, and they will deduct Administrative Fee (about $550) and refund the rest of the fee. It takes 2 - 4 months to get it back. Where as, Stouffville College deducts about 25% of total fee in case of refund. So it depends...