+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Queries on Canadian Border Services Agency- Using Movers

May 15, 2016
This is a query on duty on goods importing to Canada.
I am a Canadian PR and this is my first permanent move to Canada as a PR Cardholder. I am exempt from paying duty for all the goods. Here are some details moving company and driver needs to be aware of. Please forward this email to your office.

When we arrive in Canada we will have to give our list of goods to the border services officer, even if you do not have the goods with you at the time. Based on the list of goods you submit the officer will complete Form B4 or BSF186, Personal Effects Accounting Document, for us, assign a file number to our B4 or BSF186 form and give us a copy of the completed form as a receipt. We will need to present our copy of the form to claim free importation of our unaccompanied goods when they arrive.

In our case, Professional Moving Truck will start and I am planning to start in my car a day after that . There are two possibilities.

1. If I am the one who will be crossing the border first, I will complete this process, but how will I communicate this to the driver? Do we have an option to give truck details to the Border Securty and they track it ?
2 If the truck is crossing the border first how will handle this?

Reference:
Memorandum D2-2-1, Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00, provides information about the B4 or BSF186
forms for people settling in Canada. It can be found at:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Thanks
Leo

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Not an expert but I doubt if shipping company will dispatch your truck from USA before they get all the custom docs in hand. You will need to cross the border first and then fax/email custom documents to shipping company. Once shipping company has all the custom docs, they will dispatch your truck.

z0mbie

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
You definitely need to do your landing before the truck is at the border. Shipping company only asked for a copy of my passport. I met the truck driver at the customs office in the city where I live and not at the border for release of shipment. you will need to BSF forms, passport, COPR at the customs office.