+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Queries around settling up post Permanent Move

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
I am relocating to Toronto on 26 January 2020.
I currently have PR and had got the SIN when I did soft landing 2 months back. I need help in the following:

a) Other than applying for the Health card, there is nothing that I need to do right in terms of registrations & documents? Is Ontario state photo i card a necessity to apply? We dont plan to have a DL for significant period of time as no plans to buy a car soon.
b) I'd planning to rent the apartment. Generally, what is the security deposit that apartments ask for so that I keep that much amount handy
c) Best places to buy furniture in Toronto area to set up the unfurnished flats? Is delivery and setting up taken care of by the vendors?
d) When we rent an apartment, do we get all basic amenities up and running or do we need to rush out to register for all the utilities?
e) For home wi-fi connection, is it as easy as calling the vendors and they will do all the installation like in India? Or we need to visit respective offices?
f) Can I get sim card immediately post landing in canada. or does it take time to get one?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I am relocating to Toronto on 26 January 2020.
I currently have PR and had got the SIN when I did soft landing 2 months back. I need help in the following:

a) Other than applying for the Health card, there is nothing that I need to do right in terms of registrations & documents? Is Ontario state photo i card a necessity to apply? We dont plan to have a DL for significant period of time as no plans to buy a car soon.
b) I'd planning to rent the apartment. Generally, what is the security deposit that apartments ask for so that I keep that much amount handy
c) Best places to buy furniture in Toronto area to set up the unfurnished flats? Is delivery and setting up taken care of by the vendors?
d) When we rent an apartment, do we get all basic amenities up and running or do we need to rush out to register for all the utilities?
e) For home wi-fi connection, is it as easy as calling the vendors and they will do all the installation like in India? Or we need to visit respective offices?
f) Can I get sim card immediately post landing in canada. or does it take time to get one?
It's provincial ID, not state , and no
I just rented a place, first and last months rent
Six post dated cheque’s for the rest
Each rental is different, some utilities are included, some aren't . My electricity is separate. In the place I sold , gas, water, electricity, all separate. It'll be specified in the lease. One year, then month to month
Internet you can call or visit , depending upon the provider
My landlord required me to get tenant insurance
Also required me to give two references, place of employment, plus copy of my credit report. And that was even with me giving a certified draft for six months rent in advance
I just went online with IKEA for a few things. Delivery was extra, I paid, as well as paying for someone to put the things together ( life is too short for that )
I rent in Toronto

Last edited: