+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec to other province

Canadaprseeker

Dec 22, 2014
i have read somewhere that it will create issue when you try to renew ur PR or apply for citizenship after 5 years . It might be treated as misinterpretation as you initially agreed to stay in Quebec but moved out to other province. But i know that many people do so. Last year alone almost 10000 people moved to other provinces. I advise you to check with some credible source.

cryptic0

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
As has been made clear in many threads on this forum, putting restrictions on where you can live violates the constitution. That being said, a province is granting you PR in good faith so that you may contribute to the economic developments there. If you have no intention of staying there from the get go, you are essentially committing a fraud. Does that sit well with your conscience? I realize that sometimes jobs simply don't work out, or a great out of state opportunity comes up. But unless you have made serious efforts to find a job in the province, jumping the ships is tantamount to unethical behavior.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cryptic0 said:
As has been made clear in many threads on this forum, putting restrictions on where you can live violates the constitution. That being said, a province is granting you PR in good faith so that you may contribute to the economic developments there. If you have no intention of staying there from the get go, you are essentially committing a fraud. Does that sit well with your conscience? I realize that sometimes jobs simply don't work out, or a great out of state opportunity comes up. But unless you have made serious efforts to find a job in the province, jumping the ships is tantamount to unethical behavior.
Provinces don't grant PR, the Federal government does. /pedantry.

Having said that, there is a fundamental dichotomy between the provincial (not just Quebec) requirements for an undertaking to settle in X province, and the Right of Free Movement inherent for PR holders.

At the moment, there are no penalties for those granted PR via PNP or QSW who move on to other provinces.

This may change in the future.

Otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree with your points. I.e. If an applicant does not intend to settle in Quebec (or at least make all possible efforts to do so), it would be better to apply directly for FSW/PNP in the province s/he intends to settle in.

However, I see nothing wrong for a Quebec applicant who obtains PR, lands in Qc, then gets an amazing job offer elsewhere in Canada and moves.

Tuki

Star Member
Jan 20, 2015
Hi
I am just sharing my experiences.
We (me and my husband) never ever wanted to move another province from Montreal. I just fall in love on this city since 2010 (when we first entered in Canada as international students). I had passed extreme toughest four years five month in my life in Montreal and finished my study. When I started to look for job, I have nothing found (no one replies). I was thinking I don't have very good reference. Even, my research supervisor asked couple of companies but they replied they only can hire Quebec citizen. All these incidents were truly disappointing at that time though I received my CSQ.
Suddenly, my husband got a contract for a year from another province in last February and we temporarily moved from Montreal. In the same time I also forwarded my federal application as QSW.
If everything goes well, we have to come back to Montreal. But probably my husband has to leave his job for immigration (now the contract could be renew for another year).
We worked heard for Quebec more than four years but we didn't get jobs there. When we are going to get something, due to these rules and regulations may be we have loose this opportunity also :(.