+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec to Ontario

UnsungHero

Mar 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

Since Nursing is not there in this year's FSW list, my consultant advised me to apply for PR through Quebec Skilled Worker, and once I get my PR card i can move to Ontario. My query, is if i get my PR status through Quebec, how long should i stay in Quebec as i am not intending to settle in Quebec. As of my consultant, I just have to finish my landing process in Quebec, give a Quebec address (my consultant's associate's address in Montreal) for PR cards to be sent and then come back to where i am currently employed after a week. And once my consultant gets my PR cards, he will courier it to me and once i have the PR cards i can move permanently to Toronto. Is it safe to do so? May I face any problem for my PR renewal or my Canadian Citizenship? So, all of you please advise me about the consequences i may face if i hear my consultant's advice.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your consultant is a little crooked. When you apply under QSW, you have to sign that you intend to settle in Quebec. Applying under QSW when you do not intend to settle in Quebec is misrepresentation and misrepresentation can cost you your PR if you get caught.

However, it is unlikely that you will get caught. Currently, immigration is not going after PR's who leave their sponsoring province. They may do it in the future but because of your circumstances, planning to land in Quebec, leave after a week, finish your work contract in home country, tie up loose ends and then at some point move to Canada but to Ontario, you will have a gap period so in case you are asked about this at any point by immigration, you can insist that you intended to settle in Quebec when you applied and when you landed but during the time you went back home to finish up your work contract and while looking for work in Canada online, you found more jobs in Ontario than in Quebec so your intentions changed. However, it would be safer for you to move to Quebec at first and stay for 6 months or longer.

swamik

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
UnsungHero said:
Dear All,

Since Nursing is not there in this year's FSW list, my consultant advised me to apply for PR through Quebec Skilled Worker, and once I get my PR card i can move to Ontario. My query, is if i get my PR status through Quebec, how long should i stay in Quebec as i am not intending to settle in Quebec. As of my consultant, I just have to finish my landing process in Quebec, give a Quebec address (my consultant's associate's address in Montreal) for PR cards to be sent and then come back to where i am currently employed after a week. And once my consultant gets my PR cards, he will courier it to me and once i have the PR cards i can move permanently to Toronto. Is it safe to do so? May I face any problem for my PR renewal or my Canadian Citizenship? So, all of you please advise me about the consequences i may face if i hear my consultant's advice.
Its definitely of serious concern, Actually you may have to sign an undertaking that you intend to stay in Quebec, Off course, if you find it difficult to find a job in your field, and you stay there for considerable amount of time, say 3 months, then you can try your luck in Rest of Canada, but if you intend not to stay in Quebec, you should not apply there..It can come back and haunt during your Citizenship...

rn572482

Nov 13, 2013
UnsungHero said:
Dear All,

Hey there.. I think we are on the same boat here. I also want to enter Ontario, but the current FSWP does not include NOC 3152 sad to say. I also went to an Immigration consultant and it was the same thing said to me. She told me that I should apply for the QSW program (best option for nurses like us) and once I land in Quebec, i will stay for a month to wait for my PR card. Once I have it she assured me that I can transfer to Ontario. Do you think it's true? Safe? What did you do? I hope you can help me out as well.. thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rn572482 said:
Hey there.. I think we are on the same boat here. I also want to enter Ontario, but the current FSWP does not include NOC 3152 sad to say. I also went to an Immigration consultant and it was the same thing said to me. She told me that I should apply for the QSW program (best option for nurses like us) and once I land in Quebec, i will stay for a month to wait for my PR card. Once I have it she assured me that I can transfer to Ontario. Do you think it's true? Safe? What did you do? I hope you can help me out as well.. thanks!
Read my reply from September, it is still good. You should not apply under QSW if it is your intention to settle outside Quebec but if you do, the odds of getting caught are low, especially if you stay for a few months and of course if you don't tell anybody about your intentions beforehand. By the way, you would not have your PR card in a month. You can expect at least 6-7 weeks and sometimes it even takes longer.

I would recommend staying for at least 6 months because that puts you in good standing with health care. Quebec health care has a 3 month waiting period and as most provinces in Canada expect you to be resident in the province for 6 months a year to keep it. If you do those 6 months, you will have no risk if you move that anybody will ever come after you and try to backcharge you for health care you had used while you were in Quebec because you had not lived for a full 6 months in your first year. If you were to move to Ontario after 6 months, your Quebec health card would cover you until you get OHIP. However, if you move after say 2 months in Quebec, having gained your PR card but not your health card, you'd have another 3 month waiting period to get OHIP so you would be without health care coverage for 5 months. If you don't care about not being covered and you are otherwise healthy, you can do it but you should at least get emergency and accident insurance privately to cover you for emergencies until you get covered by some province.

You could also live on the Quebec/Ontario border and look for work in Ontario while living in Quebec. For example, you could work in Ottawa and live across the river in Quebec.