+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec spousal sponsorship

Nawar Helala

Jan 12, 2019
Hi I recently signed up to this forum and I have a question in mind.
I am a PR living in Quebec and all I have seen here is Canadian spousal sponsorship threads or Quebec immigration so I need to ask about my specific situation.
we are applying as a common law because I am not married yet .
I cannot get married because I cannot go back to my country and my common law cannot get a visa to Canada.
The problem is that in our country there is no way we can produce documents to prove that we lived together (such as joint bank account or bills in both of our names) even my parents who are married for 32 years do not have such documents, all I could produce are statements of people who were close to us and photos and conversations between me and my common law.
my question is : do you think that would be enough to be accepted ?
second question is how long does a Quebec spousal sponsorship application take until (if accepted) we get a visa?
we already have the (accusé de reception)

Last edited:

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
to be considered common law, you and your partner must have lived together for as least 12 months......if you don't meet common law criteria, you may consider conjugal partner.

your application will only be approved based on the proof of your supporting documents and the genuineness of your relationship.....its very important that you submit the documents as required in the sponsorship checklist.....you don't need to have all the support documents but ensure under in section of the checklist that you provide at least the minimum as required in the checklist.

processing of must sponsorship applications is completed within 12 months.

Reactions: Nawar Helala

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
If you’re in a common-law relationship
You can sponsor the person as your common-law partner (same or opposite sex) as long as you’ve been living or have lived with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months in a marriage-like relationship.

If you’re in conjugal relationship
A conjugal partner is:
  • a person who is living outside Canada,
  • in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year, and
  • could not live with the sponsor as a couple because of reasons beyond their control (e.g. immigration barrier, religious reasons or sexual orientation).
This term applies to both opposite and same-sex couples.

You can sponsor a conjugal partner if:
  • there is a significant degree of attachment between the two of you, implying not just a physical relationship but a mutually interdependent relationship, and
  • you’ve been in a genuine (real) relationship for at least 12 months where marriage or cohabitation (living together) hasn’t been possible because of barriers such as sexual orientation, religious faith, etc.
Important: If you’re applying in the conjugal partner class, the person being sponsored cannot be living in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=347&top=14

Reactions: Nawar Helala

Nawar Helala

Jan 12, 2019
wow actually that helps a lot.
what if I already applied under common law, can I change that into conjugal ? because clearly this is much closer to my actual situation.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi I recently signed up to this forum and I have a question in mind.
I am a PR living in Quebec and all I have seen here is Canadian spousal sponsorship threads or Quebec immigration so I need to ask about my specific situation.
we are applying as a common law because I am not married yet .
I cannot get married because I cannot go back to my country and my common law cannot get a visa to Canada.
The problem is that in our country there is no way we can produce documents to prove that we lived together (such as joint bank account or bills in both of our names) even my parents who are married for 32 years do not have such documents, all I could produce are statements of people who were close to us and photos and conversations between me and my common law.
my question is : do you think that would be enough to be accepted ?
second question is how long does a Quebec spousal sponsorship application take until (if accepted) we get a visa?
we already have the (accusé de reception)
How and when did you become a PR? When did you become common-law?