+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Skilled Worker Federal Stage (After CSQ)

Thursty9

Star Member
Nov 5, 2021
Hey guys! I have a doozy for you. I’m offered a fully remote role in another province (BC) so would remain in QC. Here’s the thing. We’ve applied already for BOWP but we know that takes months and it outlines “employment location” must be QC (not really an “open” permit after all). We are in parallel applying for LMIA exempt closed permit which I can get on the spot by flagpoling at a border, BUT the natural question will be why I’m “landing” in QC for a BC-based role. I’ve already spoken with lawyers and finance professionals who’ve confirmed so long as my residence continues to be QC with proof (taxes, my kids attending CPE, etc), my PR application is not being misrepresented, but that’s all semantics. Only a border agent will ultimately decide whether to approve for me a closed permit for a company based in another province. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Just sitting and waiting on the PR process to play out is way too long and now that we’re in a COVID world, most every employer has gone remote in my field so there’s no need to take up residency in the same province as “the office” (in quotes since my future company no longer has a physical location but uses BC as that is where it was based prior to COVID). If no one has any advice or experience, it’s ok, but just leaving this here in case it helps someone else in the future. Thanks!

ValeriaS

Sep 19, 2019
Quebec
Hey guys! I have a doozy for you. I’m offered a fully remote role in another province (BC) so would remain in QC. Here’s the thing. We’ve applied already for BOWP but we know that takes months and it outlines “employment location” must be QC (not really an “open” permit after all). We are in parallel applying for LMIA exempt closed permit which I can get on the spot by flagpoling at a border, BUT the natural question will be why I’m “landing” in QC for a BC-based role. I’ve already spoken with lawyers and finance professionals who’ve confirmed so long as my residence continues to be QC with proof (taxes, my kids attending CPE, etc), my PR application is not being misrepresented, but that’s all semantics. Only a border agent will ultimately decide whether to approve for me a closed permit for a company based in another province. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Just sitting and waiting on the PR process to play out is way too long and now that we’re in a COVID world, most every employer has gone remote in my field so there’s no need to take up residency in the same province as “the office” (in quotes since my future company no longer has a physical location but uses BC as that is where it was based prior to COVID). If no one has any advice or experience, it’s ok, but just leaving this here in case it helps someone else in the future. Thanks!
I have a question though, why do you need flagpoling at a border?
I just got my CWP extension by mail :D

ValeriaS

Sep 19, 2019
Quebec
Also, a work permit is sooooo long to get, maybe you'll get your residency sooner?
I am from a non-exempt visa country, I decided to wait and not even bother to apply for a new TRV.

Thursty9

Star Member
Nov 5, 2021
I have a question though, why do you need flagpoling at a border?
I just got my CWP extension by mail :D
I got a cwp extension by email but I want to change employers…from one based here in QC to one based in Vancouver.

The extension email I received for the BOWP was for the same conditions only (same employer, same province).

I’m nervous as heck because, but Flagpoling seems the only way to get a start date on my new offer sooner than “months from now”(no company would or should have to wait that long) and to be able to explain human to human what I’m trying to do vs someone just reading a name on a huge stack of files and rejecting me due to the employers location. There’s a “notes” section in the application, but again we have to pray someone reads it and takes care.

ValeriaS

Sep 19, 2019
Quebec
I got a cwp extension by email but I want to change employers…from one based here in QC to one based in Vancouver.

The extension email I received for the BOWP was for the same conditions only (same employer, same province).

I’m nervous as heck because, but Flagpoling seems the only way to get a start date on my new offer sooner than “months from now”(no company would or should have to wait that long) and to be able to explain human to human what I’m trying to do vs someone just reading a name on a huge stack of files and rejecting me due to the employers location. There’s a “notes” section in the application, but again we have to pray someone reads it and takes care.
You always can write a letter of explanation, I did this for my PR application, I also screwed up a bit in one of my previous TRV, but I wrote a nice letter and everything seems all right :)
I also write an LOE for fact that my bf is Canadian and I won't provide any documents for our "love story" or whatever they ask for spouses, and they didn't ask me too :)

So if you don't want to flagpole, you can write LOE :)

IMO Situation is a bit tricky, considering that employer in Vancouver. I suspect that you are a dev or something, and usually, IT companies are willing to wait, so I would wait.

Reactions: Thursty9

Sanjar718

Apr 4, 2019
Montreal
Category........
QSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-08-2021
Hello, i'm in similar situation ,but i dont have AOR yet. So, technically lawyer told me that my CSQ is useless to be Exempt from LMIA cuz my remote company based in Toronto. So they are going LMIA and work permit from begining. But i still want to stay in Quebec cuz my PR application already submitted in quebec. And for BOWP i guess if you get LMIA then you may cancel it.
Interesting case, thanks for sharing!

Thursty9

Star Member
Nov 5, 2021
Hello, i'm in similar situation ,but i dont have AOR yet. So, technically lawyer told me that my CSQ is useless to be Exempt from LMIA cuz my remote company based in Toronto. So they are going LMIA and work permit from begining. But i still want to stay in Quebec cuz my PR application already submitted in quebec. And for BOWP i guess if you get LMIA then you may cancel it.
Interesting case, thanks for sharing!
We sound very similar except that my PR is further along. I’ll keep you in the loop.

Reactions: Sanjar718

00iris00

Dec 20, 2020
Got my accounts linked today!! (Haven't received AOR yet)
So I've been checking online everyday since my XEP was May 27 and it was issued on June 7 2021. Today I saw a few updates on fb with the same dates that have received AOR so I went to check my status here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html
Despite not having received my AOR yet, I found, using my UCI and family name, that my account has been created. It wasn't the case yesterday!

I then proceeded to link it to my account and succeeded, using UCI, my family name (I don't know my application number since I haven't gotten the AOR) and My passport number and dates. And it worked! For those waiting for AOR, it might be worthwhile to check your status.

Thursty9

Star Member
Nov 5, 2021
So I've been checking online everyday since my XEP was May 27 and it was issued on June 7 2021. Today I saw a few updates on fb with the same dates that have received AOR so I went to check my status here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html
Despite not having received my AOR yet, I found, using my UCI and family name, that my account has been created. It wasn't the case yesterday!

I then proceeded to link it to my account and succeeded, using UCI, my family name (I don't know my application number since I haven't gotten the AOR) and My passport number and dates. And it worked! For those waiting for AOR, it might be worthwhile to check your status.
That’s interesting! What’s your status look like in the account? Is it blank or application received?

Sundar2019

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019

Amazing!! the UCI you used is the one in WP, right? or the one in XEP document, the one that starts with letter T.

Sundar2019

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
What is the option to send a missing document while we wait for AOR? looks like i missed to attach a certified true copy for a translated doc that i submitted. Is there a possibility they delay start processing my application because of that?

Also, does criminality status have anything to do with AOR? i see "Criminality: In Progress" in my GCMS response

00iris00

Dec 20, 2020
That’s interesting! What’s your status look like in the account? Is it blank or application received?
It's application received and it shows that it is 33% complete. I think they started the case but just haven't gotten around to send the AOR yet, that's why I can access it.

Amazing!! the UCI you used is the one in WP, right? or the one in XEP document, the one that starts with letter T.
For me my UCI has already been the same, since when I filed for PR I filled in my UCI from previous applications. If you have two different ones I say try both? They probably need to link the two together. My UCI starts with 11xxxxxx and it is 10 digits, only number.