+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Skilled Worker Federal Stage (After CSQ)

bassamkaaki

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
Is there any hop
Nope, I'm an September 2018 applicant , didn't receive MR yet. Web form submitted last month ,I got a reply saying that due to Covid-19 they are working with critical staff and my file will be processed ASAP. It's been a month, I don't understand what do they mean by ASAP ?
Same for me. After, I submitted a web form asking for the status since may 16 marking 100% on my green status line, I got a similar reply as you did!

Aug 3, 2020
PLEASE HELP!!

I have a valid CSQ until this next September as it was approved this past 2018. Unfortunately I've been taking care of my grandma and haven't been able to come back to Canada so I've been out of the country since my previous Work and Holiday permit expired.

However, I really want to come back to Canada and I'm desperately trying to understand how I should proceed.

Do I still have time to apply to the PR?

Would I still be able to get a Work Permit or eventually move back to Quebec before I get an official answer from Immigration?

Or there's nothing else I can do at this stage? :(

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance

Italy

May 23, 2020
I
PLEASE HELP!!

I have a valid CSQ until this next September as it was approved this past 2018. Unfortunately I've been taking care of my grandma and haven't been able to come back to Canada so I've been out of the country since my previous Work and Holiday permit expired.

However, I really want to come back to Canada and I'm desperately trying to understand how I should proceed.

Do I still have time to apply to the PR?

Would I still be able to get a Work Permit or eventually move back to Quebec before I get an official answer from Immigration?

Or there's nothing else I can do at this stage? :(

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance
I think you can apply for PR, if you do it by September; and apply for a work permit, as a CSQ holder.
The CSQ doesn't expire if you are waiting for a decision on your PR application.

Last edited:
Reactions: RamC and Immstu

Sleep

Aug 1, 2019
Background: Applied through PEQ after CSQ. Currently on a closed work permit in quebec with my current employer valid till late 2021, still awaiting my AOR.

Can I leave the country for a trip and return on my work permit? I have had conflicting information about whether I am permitted to do this from immigration officers. I understand my current work permit does not GUARANTEE readmission at the border, but does this mean in reality I cannot leave without forfeiting my status. Or unless there are strange circumstances is it often in practise permitted as my permit would be valid way beyond my return date?

Obviously with the current health pandemic I have had no plans to travel but there's an important family event coming within the next year and I wondered whether being able to attend was at all a possibility, covid-19 permitting.

Just wanted to see if anyone in here had any relevent experiences or advice! Many thanks.

Italy

May 23, 2020
Background: Applied through PEQ after CSQ. Currently on a closed work permit in quebec with my current employer valid till late 2021, still awaiting my AOR.

Can I leave the country for a trip and return on my work permit? I have had conflicting information about whether I am permitted to do this from immigration officers. I understand my current work permit does not GUARANTEE readmission at the border, but does this mean in reality I cannot leave without forfeiting my status. Or unless there are strange circumstances is it often in practise permitted as my permit would be valid way beyond my return date?

Obviously with the current health pandemic I have had no plans to travel but there's an important family event coming within the next year and I wondered whether being able to attend was at all a possibility, covid-19 permitting.

Just wanted to see if anyone in here had any relevent experiences or advice! Many thanks.
Why you would not be allowed to leave the country and come back on your work permit?
I must be missing something, as I would reply: of course you can!
Even with the covid, if you have a job, you are allowed to come back, as it is considered essential travel.
Or maybe depending on your passport you have restrictions that I am not aware of.
I have been living in Canada with a closed work permit for more than 4 years and I left and re-entered the country many times.

Last edited:

RamC

May 3, 2020
Montreal
Category........
QSW
App. Filed.......
24-01-2020

Is the question about not being able to re-enter due to COVID? Or about work permits and re-entry more generally? As you mentioned, work permits do not authorize entry into Canada even under normal circumstances. So if your passport is from a country that requires a visa and/or ETA, it is my understanding that that is still the case even with a work permit. I do not have personal experience with this as I'm from the US, but a friend from Pakistan on a work permit told me he was not going to leave Canada because he would need a visa to come back.

If the question is about being denied re-entry due to COVID-related travel restrictions, I DO have personal experience with this situation, including the conflicting information from immigration people. I came to Canada in mid-March right before the US border closed, so I didn't have any problem getting in at that point. But then in mid-April, I needed to return to the US to move out of my apartment there (my lease was ending in April) and bring my stuff back to Canada. We called CBSA several times to figure out if we would be allowed back in, and some of the agents seemed very hung up on whether our trip into the US was essential or not (we even said I needed to get medications refilled in the US and I did not have health insurance in Canada and the agent said that is not essential, wtf). However, it is my understanding from the text of the travel restrictions that admissibility to Canada depends on your reason for entering Canada, not why you were out of the country in the first place.

So in the end, we decided to go to the US (by car). When we came back to the border, the agent seemed agitated that we were traveling during the pandemic, and he did not seem to think that needing to move out of an apartment (to avoid losing thousands of dollars in deposits and possessions) constituted essential travel. But ultimately he was most concerned with where we lived, and since we said we lived in Canada and held valid study and work permits, we were let back in. We just had to go straight home and quarantine for 14 days.

I'm not sure if the guidelines on letting people into Canada have changed since mid-April, but it was my understanding that if you have a valid study or work permit and live in Canada, you are supposed to be allowed back into Canada (however, it is always up to the individual agent, so there is no guarantee). My advice would be to remain calm and pleasant and heavily emphasize that you live in Canada (maybe take proof with you, like your lease or recent utility bills). If the agent asks why you left Canada, try to make it sound semi-essential (don't say to attend grandma's 90th b-day party).

Reactions: VCIce

Hassananwar1

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Is there anyone on this forum, send application in July 2020 and still didnt receive XEP ?

I have send my application in mid june, received on 4 July and after webform inquiry the application is yet not into the system.

ballak1984

Feb 4, 2019
Middle East
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Is there anyone on this forum, send application in July 2020 and still didnt receive XEP ?

I have send my application in mid june, received on 4 July and after webform inquiry the application is yet not into the system.
Hassan, IRCC are not currently posting any AORs for 2020 applicants as ive seen many similar cases as urs on this forum due to the outbreak and everything. Sit tight and be patient. Its a long journey.... Gd luck bro

Reactions: Hassananwar1

aeya

Feb 28, 2016
Montreal
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-10-2019
I

I think you can apply for PR, if you do it by September; and apply for a work permit, as a CSQ holder.
The CSQ doesn't expire if you are waiting for a decision on your PR application.
To obtain a work permit when you are a CSQ holder you need to have a valid work permit at the moment of submitting the request.

Aug 3, 2020
To obtain a work permit when you are a CSQ holder you need to have a valid work permit at the moment of submitting the request.
Does that mean that even if I apply to the PR before my CSQ expires I wouldn't be able to get any work permit until I have the PR approved?

Sleep

Aug 1, 2019
Why you would not be allowed to leave the country and come back on your work permit?
I must be missing something, as I would reply: of course you can!

That's good news. I have a UK passport and do not need any further visas as I have an etA valid for some years ahead. I can't pinpoint exactly what gave me the impression , perhaps a comment from an immigration lawyer, a post on a forum, or indeed vague commentary from an agent that suggested when I was in the closed work permit phase of awaiting PR I would be wise to simply not exit the country at all, as my status may not be continued.

Is the question about not being able to re-enter due to COVID? Or about work permits and re-entry more generally?
Question was just about work permits generally. As for covid I will monitor the situation and act accordingly, it's somewhat in the future I just wanted to be informed before I perhaps started to look into it.
As you say I'm aware it would be technically up to the discretion of the border agent, but as I am employed full time, have a partner and an address etc I don't think it would be a hard sell to justify a small trip home for any legitimate cause. For whatever reason I was under the impression it was basically impossible full stop, so I'm glad to hear that it sounds like excepting a clear reason NOT to let you back there should be no troubles.

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses!

Italy

May 23, 2020
That's good news. I have a UK passport and do not need any further visas as I have an etA valid for some years ahead. I can't pinpoint exactly what gave me the impression , perhaps a comment from an immigration lawyer, a post on a forum, or indeed vague commentary from an agent that suggested when I was in the closed work permit phase of awaiting PR I would be wise to simply not exit the country at all, as my status may not be continued.
Not being able to leave Canada for 2+ years would be quite hard to accept..