+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Skilled Worker Federal Stage (After CSQ)

mananp

Apr 1, 2017
Hello friends,

We received your application for permanent residence on March 24, 2016.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 29, 2016.
We started processing your application on May 24, 2016.
Medical results have been received.

Medical request received on Dec 2016.

Today my ecas status shows "DECISION MADE" but still not got PPR request. :(

Any idea about it friends?

Thanks

Bajan4Quebec

Jan 17, 2012
Visa Office......
POS, Trinidad and Tobago
NOC Code......
4162-A
App. Filed.......
13-06-2016 Federal
Doc's Request.
08-03-2017
Nomination.....
27-04-2016 CSQ rec'd
AOR Received.
24-10-2016
IELTS Request
Not required
File Transfer...
10-12-2016
Med's Request
08-03-2017
Med's Done....
15-03-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Passport bio data requested 08-03-2017 submitted March 21, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Visa exempt country, COPR received April 18, 2017
LANDED..........
May 21, 2017.
Nikusa said:
Hello Bajan4Quebec,

Thanks for the reply!,....I was wondering if you know if the 2-copy list of items one is carrying has to follow a certain standard. I am just planning to list
all items in one Check-In bag and one Carry-On....in two columns. Left column will have name of item/with serial if available/model number if available and then
the right column will be the cost of the item. Would this sort of list be approved upon landing?

I checked another form format online from the cic website but it seemed too complicated to fill out so I am making my own which will hopefully suffice.

Do you think the form format I proposed would suffice?

Thanks in advance of your advice!
Hello Nikusa

I am pleased to inform you that you are on the right track. Below is some information I found while planning ahead on my own that I can share that will benefit all of us in this forum.

Crossing/ entering Canada's border

1) You must have some documents with you enter Canada. Without these documents, you will not be allowed into Canada.

Essential documents:

a Canadian immigrant visa (if applicable) and a Confirmation of Permanent Residence for each family member travelling with you
a valid passport or other travel document for each family member travelling with you
two (2) copies of a detailed list of all goods (personal or household items) you intend to bring into Canada as settler’s effects (showing the value, make, model and serial number if the item has one). Divide the list into two sections: the goods you are bringing with you and the goods to follow(2 copies of each). I will suggest also to take photographs, have receipts where available, and estimated date item was purchased in cases where depreciation may be applied (see below for more). Apply a value to them and total, please note that the value you placed must be in Canadian dollars and in this respect it will be a good idea to do the conversion before landing.

What you can bring

You may bring your personal and household goods with you without paying duty. But you will have to pay duty on any item you bring that has not been used. A duty is a fee that the government charges on some goods when they enter Canada. This is the importance of having a list, because items not listed either accompanying or to arrive at a later date can be subject to taxes.

You do not have to pay duty on:

Antiques
Appliances, such as a stove or refrigerator (but why bother, these are cheaper in Canada, just sell them and have more money in hand)
Books
Clothes
Furniture
Hobby tools and other hobby items
Jewelry
Linens
Musical instruments
Private collections of coins, stamps or art
Silverware
Gifts (worth CDN $60 or less each)

Important

Wedding gifts
If you get married within three months of coming to Canada or if you plan to marry no later than three months after you arrive here, you may bring your wedding gifts without paying duty. However, you must have owned them before you arrived in Canada. In these items the “use” requirement for the goods does not apply. These same conditions apply to household goods you bring in as wedding gifts.

Alcohol and tobacco
If you bring alcohol or tobacco, you may have to pay duty on it.

Vehicles
Vehicles brought into Canada for personal use are duty free. Some restrictions may apply. Cars must meet Canadian safety and pollution control standards.

Pets (you can do your research, I do not have any so I didn't investigate this area)

Jewelry or precious ornaments
Officers may ask you questions about these items during your customs interview. Make sure you describe these items on your list of goods. To avoid delays at customs when you enter Canada:

On your list of goods, use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweler’s appraisal.
Have photographs of the items.
Know how much you paid for the items or have a receipt showing how much you paid. You do not need to pay duty or tax on family heirlooms.

Gifts
You must declare all gifts to the Canada Border Services Agency. You can bring in gifts worth CDN $60 or less each duty-free and tax-free, but you must declare them. For gifts worth more than CDN $60, you may have to pay duties and taxes on the excess amount. You cannot import tobacco and alcohol as gifts.

You do have to pay duty on:

Items you have leased or rented. The Canada Border Service Agency does not consider that you own leased or rented items.
Items you have bought on your way to Canada
Vehicles you plan to use for business
Farm equipment
Equipment you plan to use in construction, contracting or manufacturing

Upon arrival You also have to fill out a BSF186 - Personal Effects Accounting Document, where you list any goods with you and the goods that you will send later. If your goods are not listed on your original BSF186, they are not eligible for duty-free importation at a later time. It would be wise to download and fill this form also before arrival to smooth the process, don't sign, only in the presence of the official.

If you need more space to list your goods, you can use your type out list or fill out a subsequent BSF186A form.

Hope his helps

Dorina D

Star Member
Mar 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2016
AOR Received.
21-02-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront,submitted on 23-03-2017
mananp said:
Hello friends,

We received your application for permanent residence on March 24, 2016.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 29, 2016.
We started processing your application on May 24, 2016.
Medical results have been received.

Medical request received on Dec 2016.

Today my ecas status shows "DECISION MADE" but still not got PPR request. :(

Any idea about it friends?

Thanks
Congratulations! Are you inland applicant?

Bajan4Quebec

Jan 17, 2012
Visa Office......
POS, Trinidad and Tobago
NOC Code......
4162-A
App. Filed.......
13-06-2016 Federal
Doc's Request.
08-03-2017
Nomination.....
27-04-2016 CSQ rec'd
AOR Received.
24-10-2016
IELTS Request
Not required
File Transfer...
10-12-2016
Med's Request
08-03-2017
Med's Done....
15-03-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Passport bio data requested 08-03-2017 submitted March 21, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Visa exempt country, COPR received April 18, 2017
LANDED..........
May 21, 2017.
Nikusa said:
URGENT QUESTION BEFORE LEAVING FOR LANDING AT MONTREAL

Hello all...

I have a really urgent question as I am leaving for Montreal to complete landing process soon as a Single Applicant:

I currently have funds of about approx. CDN$ 40k. I already have a certified bank letter stating the amounts I have in addition
to having 6 months bank statements which were also stamped and signed by the bank manager.

The bank is a US local bank. Are US local banks acceptable for showing certified bank letters and/or bank statements?

Will the bank letter and statement suffice as complete Proof Of Funds?

I need some advice urgently as I am departing for Montreal tomorrow! :)

Thanks in advance!

Hello Nikusa

I hope this message finds you well and before your departure to Montreal. This post is also copied here to benefit other forum members going through this process. The following was copied from another forum and edited by me for those of us in the QSW stream.

WHEN SHOULD WE 'LAND':
After getting the PR visa, we are supposed to complete our 'record of landing', on or before the Visa Expiry Date [mentioned on the visa]. The visa Expiry Date is related to EITHER*:
a) 1yr. from the meds, or
b) Passport expiry date of the Principal Applicant (PA) or anyone of his/her accompanying Dependents
*Whichever of the above 2 is earlier.
Please land in the time frame given as there are no extensions on landing visas.

WHO SHOULD LAND FIRST:
It is the obligation of the PA to 'land' first. Which can be 'alongwith' one or more or all the accompanying family members. Let it be clear that the PA's dependents CANNOT land first.

PROCEDURE AT THE Point of Entry (POE):
Before debarking the a/craft we'll be provided with a 'Disembarkation Card/Form'. We take that form & first go to the 'Passport Control'.

At the Passport Control:
Here we need to inform the Immigration Officer (IO) that we have come to do our 'landing'. The IO will check our Disembarkation Card and our passport/s & visa. S/he will then direct us to "Newly Landed Immigrants' Counter".

At the Immigration Counter:

The IO here will scrutinize our Passport/s & COPRs. S/He would [sometimes may not] ask to see our POF. Most of the times the officer will not count the 'actual' money & accept what we say. But, no false representations please as in recent years this became strict to review all landing funds. S/he will then fill some portions of the COPR & ask us to sign it, wherein it'll be attached on our passport. We'll be asked to fill-in the 'PR Card Application Form' & give an address where our PR cards will be forwarded within 3-6 weeks. Thereby, s/he would 'Welcome us to Canada' and direct us to another office. Note, at this point you can probably ask the IO if you can arrange to have the PRcard sent to a friend or relative (that you trust) that may live elsewhere in Canada and you can arrange to collect from them. The IO may indicate yes or no, if no you will have to visit service Canada at a later date when you have a long term a address in Quebec.

At the Services Canada Office:

The Services Canada section is for assisting the Newcomers' settlement moves. Here we'll get lots of books/pamphlets, that'll provide all the crucial info on Canada and our Settlement plan here. From here will be directed to the CBSA counter.

At the CBSA [Customs] Office:
This is an important location. We are required to present (1) List of Items Accompanying; (2) List of Goods to Follow (I wrote on this in a previous post); (3) Currency Declaration [We'd have to 'declare' any amount of $10K or more]. Items 1 & 2 (mentioned here) must be brought in 2 copies, one would be retained by CBSA and the 2nd copy will be returned back to us. We'll need the 2nd copy when our shipments come-in.

Note: [1] If we are not bringing-in any goods later, we don't need the 'goods to follow list'. [2] At a random the CBSA might 'actually' check the POF here. Thus, no complacency is acceptable. [3] If there are 'jewelry' involved, do not forget to bring 'Printed Photographs' of the same (details later).

Acceptable proof of funds is:

Bank accounts in your name or the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner;

Cash-able investments in your name or the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner;
Cash-able fixed deposits in your name of the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner.

Please Note following type of bank accounts are not acceptable.

1.Bank accounts in someone else’s name;

Bank accounts which are joint in your name and someone else (other than your accompanying spouse/common-law partner);
Bank accounts in the name of your spouse who is not accompanying you to Canada ;
Property valuations;
Vehicle valuations;
Jewellery valuations.
In short anything that cannot be easily transferred (liquidated) cannot be used as proof of funds.

What do I need to bring to Canada with me?

You are not required to carry all your funds in cash when you arrive in Canada. You are, however, required to show documentary evidence that you have the funds available (in bank accounts or cash-able investments), and that they can be transferred to Canada.

A port of entry officer in Canada may seek to confirm these funds before granting you permanent residence along with your dependents.

Please Note: Canadian customs regulations require you to declare if you are bringing more than C$10,000 into Canada. If you do not declare, you can be fined, imprisoned or money seized.

Can I borrow the money from someone?

Please note that borrowing money for proof of funds and pretending those funds are yours, when they are not, is misrepresentation because:

– You will be defrauding the Canadian government

– You will be cheating the system which is unfair on other honest applicants – It is also unfair on the Canadian welfare system when you arrive in Canada with borrowed money which is not yours

– It is unfair on yourselves to put further strain on what will already be a financial struggle.

CIC explicitly say

You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependents after you arrive in Canada. You cannot borrow this money from another person”

Do I need to show 6 months balance?

CIC does not necessarily require you to show a six months balance. You only need to show the current available balance in your account (e.g. using a bank statement or a bank certificate).

FORMS REQUIRED FOR THE 'LANDING':
Even if you stay ONLY for a day at Canada, you will need the following:

1. Passport with stamped Visa. -off course
2. COPR (IMM 5292B)
3. POF.
4. Passport size photos. -2 or 3 for PRC (may not be needed, but good to have)
5. PR Card Application (IMM 5444E). -carry it filled pre-printed, for ease
6. Goods to Follow List (Form B4 / B4A). -carry it filled pre-printed, for ease
7. Goods Accompanying List. 2 copies of items you are carrying on person (value & Totaled)

[flash=200,200]http://Forms required later[/flash]

8. SIN Card Apps Form (NAS 2120). -Not Needed at the A/port [later at Services Canada]
9. Kids Immunization Record. -Not Needed at the A/port [later for School Admission]
10. If you are Driving your Car.

NOTE: The more you are organized before hand, the better 1st impression you deliver and the IO/CBSA officer shall be happier.

SHORT STAY ACCOMMODATION:
For sure you must arrange a 'short-stay' accommodation prior to your landing. The necessity of which cannot be overemphasized more. If you have friends/relatives, they can be approached for the same, if you do not have anyone, the following is recommended:

NOTE: Except for ppl with enough $$$ to spend, avoid Hotels & Motels. They are far costlier. Also, if you must take a hotel, avoid the ones close to the A/port -for obvious reasons.

Sites that I've found for cheap short term accommodation while you look around: I suggest bed and breakfast (or Airbnb):

https://www.booking.com
https://Kijiji.ca
https://fr.airbnb.ca
https://quebecvacances.com

HOUSE RENTAL:
The best way to do house hunting [long-term accom.] is to land at Canada & then start searching. Word of mouth & Bulletin Boards are a great ‘real-time' source. However, we cannot condone the importance of the web. Some of the good sites [there are many] could be:
a) http://www.rentquebecapartments.com
b) http://www.century21
c) http://www.kjiji.ca/ (Good Classifieds site)
d) http://www.remx-Quebec.com

MONEY: PROOF OF LANDING FUNDS:
What Proofs Are Acceptable?
If you are carrying more than C$10,000, tell a Canadian official when you arrive in Canada. If you do not tell an official, you may be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:
• Cash
• Securities in bearer form (for eg, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills) or
• Negotiable instruments in bearer form (for eg, B/drafts, Cheques, TCs or MOs).
Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

How Much Funds Can I Carry?
There is no Max limit known....only if we can prove its legitimate source & declare anything at/or more than $10,000 [that's the CBSA regulation]. There is a Minimum limit though... we must carry at least or more than what CIC requirement states, vis-a-vis for the no. of persons in the family [accompanying].

Tax & Duties Component:
The funds we bring inside Canada are Non-Taxable. It is only the 'interest' earned on that which is taxed. The moment our funds start accruing interest [while lying in a Canadian Bank a/c] the bank will start deducting tax 'on source'. The same applies for any 'investment' in Canada that we make with these funds.

BANKING:
Though most international banks operate in Canada, the 4 main Canadian Banks are presumably the best, in terms of their presence, availability & location of ATM machines, branches etc.:
1) Scotiabank,
2) TD Bank,
3) CIBC
4). BMO

PR CARDS (PRC):
Your PR Card application (IMM 5444E) shall be done at the POE itself. It is part of the PR package [free] and the photos & details will be the same as you supplied for the PPR. Our PR Card/s come back to us via regular post mail, in 45days, It is 'advisable' to stay in Canada, collect our PRC and then return back [if you must].

If you leave the country before it arrives, you'll have to make arrangements for its collection & forward delivery to you, overseas, through a friend/relative [Not a Recommended Action], however, done all the time by ppl. But there is a danger of losing it in transit. And if that happens, we'll have a tedious process to get new ones made.

Procedure Of PR Card Application:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5445E.PDF

NOTE: The PRC is probably the 'most important' document after we are thru with our PR application process. This is valid for 5 yrs. First time: Free; Renewals cost $50/card.

SIN CARDS:
After 'landing' we'll have to visit the nearest Services Canada Office for the SIN Card. We get the SIN No. immediately as a 'print-out' -signed & stamped upon applying, the same day, the same time. That'd suffice for all our further actions in Canada, viz Job Search, Bank a/c, House Hunting etc. There use to have a card delivered but I don't think that's the case any longer.

NOTE: Remember, we don't need the SIN Card for anything. Only the SIN No. Which we'll get the same time as we apply for it. It'd be wise to visit Services Canada Office the very next day upon arrival.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Both PR Card & SIN Cards are Federal documents. Meaning? One card for the entire nation -Canada.

HEALTH CARDS:

I strongly suggest to purchase travel insurance upon arrival to Canada. As we know Canada provides free health care for its citizens and PR. However, we must apply for the health card and it takes on average 3 months to complete. So in the event someone is hurt and you don't have insurance it will be costly. In his manner you must purchase temporary insurance or commonly called travel/visitors insurance. This travel insurance can be purchased at some banks, and insurance companies. The insurance company I contacted was Blue Cross and it is located throughout Canada but in Quebec it can be found in Montreal on rue Sherbrooke. The price can vary depending on age and different characteristics, but they will quote you different packages (eg. 50k, 100k, 150k coverage) at an average price of $300cdn

Health is a provincial matter. It is NOT FEDERAL. Thus, if you change provinces, you'll have to AGAIN get that province's Health Card. And again the waiting period* shall apply.

DRIVING LICENSE:
Still researching this area and will update accordingly

ITEMS TO CARRY FROM HOMELAND:
Very debatable... I would say, do your maths first. Is the extra baggage costs worth the effort? Most items are readily available in Canada, also at very reasonable price.

Ditto for Indian Food & Spices [Rice, Dal, Pickles, Papad (?) etc.] And ditto for Italian [Pasta, Lasagna etc.], Japanese [Sushi, Tapanyaki, Teriyaki etc.], Tex-Mex, you name it.

Besides, many items are also not permitted entry. And there is otherwise a quality/quantity restriction as well. Check the CBSA website for those. Moreover, hiring a container full of goods? I'd say No... No. It may not be worthwhile at all.

What To Take? [Purely My Advise]:
1. Personal effects [for imdt use, large quantities... No]
2. General clothing [some warm ones also]
3. Laptop [no desk top, printer etc.]
4. Digicam / Camcorder
5. Heirlooms [heritage collections, murals, artifacts etc.] -Check CBSA rules.
6. Original Certificates / Documents
7. Prescription Medicines
8. Books & DVDs
9. Mobile Phone* [non CDMA] -a NA charger will be needed
*Only GSM850-1900MHz models [that's the Canadian frequency -not all countries have that]

What "Not" To Take? [Purely My Advise]:
1. Furniture [whatever, small or big]
2. TV [even if it's an LCD], Fridge, Washing machine etc.
3. Curtains, Bedspreads, Pillows & linens
4. Cars, Bikes etc.
5. Large-sized Toys of kids
6. Food [Perishable or Non-perishable] items
7. Over-the-Counter Medicines
8. Meat or Meat products [including Fowl, Fish etc.]

NOTE: Asian make electronic/electrical items won't work in Canada. [read 230 vs 110 Volts]

GOODS LISTS [FORM B4 / B4A]:
All goods that we carry, either 'on person' or 'following' needs to be 'listed' in form B4 / B4A, separately. These forms are available in the CBSA website, link given below:
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

It is the same form for 'Goods Accompanying' & 'Goods to follow'. We should club similar items in groups [eg. DVDs: Qty-98, Books: Qty-42 etc.].

The entire list should be priced against each group & totalled in the end. We should carry 'original' invoices for high-end items [Diamonds -MUST]. Others can be broadly/generally priced, but appropriate.

Jewelry items MUST be listed [each item wise]; and should carry their "photographs". We should print-out the pics under similar groups [eg. Rings -all in one or more pages, Necklaces -in another page etc.]

We'll need 2 copies of each form, as one would be kept by the CBSA & one would be returned to us, for 'customs' clearance. This 2nd copy will be signed & stamped by the CBSA at the POE.

NOTE: All goods brought for 'landing' are non-taxed. If we were to bring-in goods 'later', either by personal carriage or thru a transporter, this list MUST be stamped on the 1st Landing. Else, they will be 'dutiable'. No compromise on that is possible. That's the law.

ABOUT KID's SCHOOLING:
Canada has 2 types of schools -the 'Public Schools' & the 'Catholic Schools'. There are some 'ethnic' schools as well, but not for regular education. Most of our kids [say 70%] go to the Public Schools -this education is FREE. The Catholic Schools are Fee-Paid [payable by us].

Usually, our kids will be accepted imdtly into the *neighborhood school, whether we arrive mid-term or during a new session. There can be an 'entry test', but that's not for rejection -but for assessment of the extra care that the school need to provide to a kid.

Even if our kids are not very good in either of the 2 Canadian official languages -English &/or French, by law a school is required to provide admission to our kids.

*Each neighborhood will have their own Public School/s; and our kids are required to ONLY be admitted there. We have no choice on that. The only way out [if we think that a particular school is better] is to move our residence to that area [neighborhood]. We have to provide our 'residency contract' for this purpose.

NOTE: Do not be hooked by the thought that the Catholic Schools are better than the Public Schools. Both are equally compititive in Edu-care. In fact some of the Public Schools are 'excellent' & remember, 70% Canadian kids study in them.

I hope I've addressed most issues, if not all... to ease the process of our landing. If I missed out anything or if something is wrongly put, plz notify. Also other members who have more info to add may kindly post theirs for the benefit of everyone.

Bonne chance à tous!

T-hEMK

Apr 3, 2017
Hello folks,
I am new here. I was reading this Post few days ago and I want to share with you my timeline, I am inland applicant:

1- application for permanent residence sent from Canada on August 4, 2016.
2- application received on August 9, 2016.
3- AOR received on November 24, 2016.
On Ecas: we started processing your application on November 25, 2016.
4- Email to pay the residence fees on January 10, 2017.
5- Medical request received on January 23, 2017.
6- Medical results have been approved
I have also got a request to send the Police certificate on January 10, 2017.

My background check on GCKey is "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information." since the day I received the AOR

rushabh.mechatronics

Oct 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
HONK KONG
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bajan4Quebec said:
Hello Nikusa

I hope this message finds you well and before your departure to Montreal. This post is also copied here to benefit other forum members going through this process. The following was copied from another forum and edited by me for those of us in the QSW stream.

WHEN SHOULD WE 'LAND':
After getting the PR visa, we are supposed to complete our 'record of landing', on or before the Visa Expiry Date [mentioned on the visa]. The visa Expiry Date is related to EITHER*:
b) Passport expiry date of the Principal Applicant (PA) or anyone of his/her accompanying Dependents
Please land in the time frame given as there are no extensions on landing visas.
excellent

sunnymks

Champion Member
Mar 24, 2012
Bajan4Quebec said:
Hello Nikusa

WHEN SHOULD WE 'LAND':

WHO SHOULD LAND FIRST:
It is the obligation of the PA to 'land' first. Which can be 'alongwith' one or more or all the accompanying family members. Let it be clear that the PA's dependents CANNOT land first.

PROCEDURE AT THE Point of Entry (POE):
Before debarking the a/craft we'll be provided with a 'Disembarkation Card/Form'. We take that form & first go to the 'Passport Control'.

At the Passport Control:
Here we need to inform the Immigration Officer (IO) that we have come to do our 'landing'. The IO will check our Disembarkation Card and our passport/s & visa. S/he will then direct us to "Newly Landed Immigrants' Counter".

At the Immigration Counter:

The IO here will scrutinize our Passport/s & COPRs. S/He would [sometimes may not] ask to see our POF. Most of the times the officer will not count the 'actual' money & accept what we say. But, no false representations please as in recent years this became strict to review all landing funds. S/he will then fill some portions of the COPR & ask us to sign it, wherein it'll be attached on our passport. We'll be asked to fill-in the 'PR Card Application Form' & give an address where our PR cards will be forwarded within 3-6 weeks. Thereby, s/he would 'Welcome us to Canada' and direct us to another office. Note, at this point you can probably ask the IO if you can arrange to have the PRcard sent to a friend or relative (that you trust) that may live elsewhere in Canada and you can arrange to collect from them. The IO may indicate yes or no, if no you will have to visit service Canada at a later date when you have a long term a address in Quebec.

At the Services Canada Office:

The Services Canada section is for assisting the Newcomers' settlement moves. Here we'll get lots of books/pamphlets, that'll provide all the crucial info on Canada and our Settlement plan here. From here will be directed to the CBSA counter.

At the CBSA [Customs] Office:
This is an important location. We are required to present (1) List of Items Accompanying; (2) List of Goods to Follow (I wrote on this in a previous post); (3) Currency Declaration [We'd have to 'declare' any amount of $10K or more]. Items 1 & 2 (mentioned here) must be brought in 2 copies, one would be retained by CBSA and the 2nd copy will be returned back to us. We'll need the 2nd copy when our shipments come-in.

Note: [1] If we are not bringing-in any goods later, we don't need the 'goods to follow list'. [2] At a random the CBSA might 'actually' check the POF here. Thus, no complacency is acceptable. [3] If there are 'jewelry' involved, do not forget to bring 'Printed Photographs' of the same (details later).

Acceptable proof of funds is:

Bank accounts in your name or the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner;

Cash-able investments in your name or the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner;
Cash-able fixed deposits in your name of the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner.

Please Note following type of bank accounts are not acceptable.

1.Bank accounts in someone else’s name;

Bank accounts which are joint in your name and someone else (other than your accompanying spouse/common-law partner);
Bank accounts in the name of your spouse who is not accompanying you to Canada ;
Property valuations;
Vehicle valuations;
Jewellery valuations.
In short anything that cannot be easily transferred (liquidated) cannot be used as proof of funds.

What do I need to bring to Canada with me?

You are not required to carry all your funds in cash when you arrive in Canada. You are, however, required to show documentary evidence that you have the funds available (in bank accounts or cash-able investments), and that they can be transferred to Canada.

A port of entry officer in Canada may seek to confirm these funds before granting you permanent residence along with your dependents.

Please Note: Canadian customs regulations require you to declare if you are bringing more than C$10,000 into Canada. If you do not declare, you can be fined, imprisoned or money seized.

Can I borrow the money from someone?

Please note that borrowing money for proof of funds and pretending those funds are yours, when they are not, is misrepresentation because:

– You will be defrauding the Canadian government

– You will be cheating the system which is unfair on other honest applicants – It is also unfair on the Canadian welfare system when you arrive in Canada with borrowed money which is not yours

– It is unfair on yourselves to put further strain on what will already be a financial struggle.

CIC explicitly say

You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependents after you arrive in Canada. You cannot borrow this money from another person”

Do I need to show 6 months balance?

CIC does not necessarily require you to show a six months balance. You only need to show the current available balance in your account (e.g. using a bank statement or a bank certificate).

FORMS REQUIRED FOR THE 'LANDING':
Even if you stay ONLY for a day at Canada, you will need the following:

1. Passport with stamped Visa. -off course
2. COPR (IMM 5292B)
3. POF.
4. Passport size photos. -2 or 3 for PRC (may not be needed, but good to have)
5. PR Card Application (IMM 5444E). -carry it filled pre-printed, for ease
6. Goods to Follow List (Form B4 / B4A). -carry it filled pre-printed, for ease
7. Goods Accompanying List. 2 copies of items you are carrying on person (value & Totaled)

[flash=200,200]http://Forms required later[/flash]

8. SIN Card Apps Form (NAS 2120). -Not Needed at the A/port [later at Services Canada]
9. Kids Immunization Record. -Not Needed at the A/port [later for School Admission]
10. If you are Driving your Car.

NOTE: The more you are organized before hand, the better 1st impression you deliver and the IO/CBSA officer shall be happier.

SHORT STAY ACCOMMODATION:
For sure you must arrange a 'short-stay' accommodation prior to your landing. The necessity of which cannot be overemphasized more. If you have friends/relatives, they can be approached for the same, if you do not have anyone, the following is recommended:

NOTE: Except for ppl with enough $$$ to spend, avoid Hotels & Motels. They are far costlier. Also, if you must take a hotel, avoid the ones close to the A/port -for obvious reasons.

Sites that I've found for cheap short term accommodation while you look around: I suggest bed and breakfast (or Airbnb):

https://www.booking.com
https://Kijiji.ca
https://fr.airbnb.ca
https://quebecvacances.com

HOUSE RENTAL:
The best way to do house hunting [long-term accom.] is to land at Canada & then start searching. Word of mouth & Bulletin Boards are a great ‘real-time' source. However, we cannot condone the importance of the web. Some of the good sites [there are many] could be:
a) http://www.rentquebecapartments.com
b) http://www.century21
c) http://www.kjiji.ca/ (Good Classifieds site)
d) http://www.remx-Quebec.com

MONEY: PROOF OF LANDING FUNDS:
What Proofs Are Acceptable?
If you are carrying more than C$10,000, tell a Canadian official when you arrive in Canada. If you do not tell an official, you may be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:
• Cash
• Securities in bearer form (for eg, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills) or
• Negotiable instruments in bearer form (for eg, B/drafts, Cheques, TCs or MOs).
Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

How Much Funds Can I Carry?
There is no Max limit known....only if we can prove its legitimate source & declare anything at/or more than $10,000 [that's the CBSA regulation]. There is a Minimum limit though... we must carry at least or more than what CIC requirement states, vis-a-vis for the no. of persons in the family [accompanying].

Tax & Duties Component:
The funds we bring inside Canada are Non-Taxable. It is only the 'interest' earned on that which is taxed. The moment our funds start accruing interest [while lying in a Canadian Bank a/c] the bank will start deducting tax 'on source'. The same applies for any 'investment' in Canada that we make with these funds.

BANKING:
Though most international banks operate in Canada, the 4 main Canadian Banks are presumably the best, in terms of their presence, availability & location of ATM machines, branches etc.:
1) Scotiabank,
2) TD Bank,
3) CIBC
4). BMO

PR CARDS (PRC):
Your PR Card application (IMM 5444E) shall be done at the POE itself. It is part of the PR package [free] and the photos & details will be the same as you supplied for the PPR. Our PR Card/s come back to us via regular post mail, in 45days, It is 'advisable' to stay in Canada, collect our PRC and then return back [if you must].

If you leave the country before it arrives, you'll have to make arrangements for its collection & forward delivery to you, overseas, through a friend/relative [Not a Recommended Action], however, done all the time by ppl. But there is a danger of losing it in transit. And if that happens, we'll have a tedious process to get new ones made.

Procedure Of PR Card Application:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5445E.PDF

NOTE: The PRC is probably the 'most important' document after we are thru with our PR application process. This is valid for 5 yrs. First time: Free; Renewals cost $50/card.

SIN CARDS:
After 'landing' we'll have to visit the nearest Services Canada Office for the SIN Card. We get the SIN No. immediately as a 'print-out' -signed & stamped upon applying, the same day, the same time. That'd suffice for all our further actions in Canada, viz Job Search, Bank a/c, House Hunting etc. There use to have a card delivered but I don't think that's the case any longer.

NOTE: Remember, we don't need the SIN Card for anything. Only the SIN No. Which we'll get the same time as we apply for it. It'd be wise to visit Services Canada Office the very next day upon arrival.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Both PR Card & SIN Cards are Federal documents. Meaning? One card for the entire nation -Canada.

HEALTH CARDS:

I strongly suggest to purchase travel insurance upon arrival to Canada. As we know Canada provides free health care for its citizens and PR. However, we must apply for the health card and it takes on average 3 months to complete. So in the event someone is hurt and you don't have insurance it will be costly. In his manner you must purchase temporary insurance or commonly called travel/visitors insurance. This travel insurance can be purchased at some banks, and insurance companies. The insurance company I contacted was Blue Cross and it is located throughout Canada but in Quebec it can be found in Montreal on rue Sherbrooke. The price can vary depending on age and different characteristics, but they will quote you different packages (eg. 50k, 100k, 150k coverage) at an average price of $300cdn

Health is a provincial matter. It is NOT FEDERAL. Thus, if you change provinces, you'll have to AGAIN get that province's Health Card. And again the waiting period* shall apply.

DRIVING LICENSE:
Still researching this area and will update accordingly

ITEMS TO CARRY FROM HOMELAND:
Very debatable... I would say, do your maths first. Is the extra baggage costs worth the effort? Most items are readily available in Canada, also at very reasonable price.

Ditto for Indian Food & Spices [Rice, Dal, Pickles, Papad (?) etc.] And ditto for Italian [Pasta, Lasagna etc.], Japanese [Sushi, Tapanyaki, Teriyaki etc.], Tex-Mex, you name it.

Besides, many items are also not permitted entry. And there is otherwise a quality/quantity restriction as well. Check the CBSA website for those. Moreover, hiring a container full of goods? I'd say No... No. It may not be worthwhile at all.

What To Take? [Purely My Advise]:
1. Personal effects [for imdt use, large quantities... No]
2. General clothing [some warm ones also]
3. Laptop [no desk top, printer etc.]
4. Digicam / Camcorder
5. Heirlooms [heritage collections, murals, artifacts etc.] -Check CBSA rules.
6. Original Certificates / Documents
7. Prescription Medicines
8. Books & DVDs
9. Mobile Phone* [non CDMA] -a NA charger will be needed
*Only GSM850-1900MHz models [that's the Canadian frequency -not all countries have that]

What "Not" To Take? [Purely My Advise]:
1. Furniture [whatever, small or big]
2. TV [even if it's an LCD], Fridge, Washing machine etc.
3. Curtains, Bedspreads, Pillows & linens
4. Cars, Bikes etc.
5. Large-sized Toys of kids
6. Food [Perishable or Non-perishable] items
7. Over-the-Counter Medicines
8. Meat or Meat products [including Fowl, Fish etc.]

NOTE: Asian make electronic/electrical items won't work in Canada. [read 230 vs 110 Volts]

GOODS LISTS [FORM B4 / B4A]:
All goods that we carry, either 'on person' or 'following' needs to be 'listed' in form B4 / B4A, separately. These forms are available in the CBSA website, link given below:
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

It is the same form for 'Goods Accompanying' & 'Goods to follow'. We should club similar items in groups [eg. DVDs: Qty-98, Books: Qty-42 etc.].

The entire list should be priced against each group & totalled in the end. We should carry 'original' invoices for high-end items [Diamonds -MUST]. Others can be broadly/generally priced, but appropriate.

Jewelry items MUST be listed [each item wise]; and should carry their "photographs". We should print-out the pics under similar groups [eg. Rings -all in one or more pages, Necklaces -in another page etc.]

We'll need 2 copies of each form, as one would be kept by the CBSA & one would be returned to us, for 'customs' clearance. This 2nd copy will be signed & stamped by the CBSA at the POE.

NOTE: All goods brought for 'landing' are non-taxed. If we were to bring-in goods 'later', either by personal carriage or thru a transporter, this list MUST be stamped on the 1st Landing. Else, they will be 'dutiable'. No compromise on that is possible. That's the law.

ABOUT KID's SCHOOLING:
Canada has 2 types of schools -the 'Public Schools' & the 'Catholic Schools'. There are some 'ethnic' schools as well, but not for regular education. Most of our kids [say 70%] go to the Public Schools -this education is FREE. The Catholic Schools are Fee-Paid [payable by us].

Usually, our kids will be accepted imdtly into the *neighborhood school, whether we arrive mid-term or during a new session. There can be an 'entry test', but that's not for rejection -but for assessment of the extra care that the school need to provide to a kid.

Even if our kids are not very good in either of the 2 Canadian official languages -English &/or French, by law a school is required to provide admission to our kids.

*Each neighborhood will have their own Public School/s; and our kids are required to ONLY be admitted there. We have no choice on that. The only way out [if we think that a particular school is better] is to move our residence to that area [neighborhood]. We have to provide our 'residency contract' for this purpose.

NOTE: Do not be hooked by the thought that the Catholic Schools are better than the Public Schools. Both are equally compititive in Edu-care. In fact some of the Public Schools are 'excellent' & remember, 70% Canadian kids study in them.

I hope I've addressed most issues, if not all... to ease the process of our landing. If I missed out anything or if something is wrongly put, plz notify. Also other members who have more info to add may kindly post theirs for the benefit of everyone.

Bonne chance à tous!
Excellent :) very useful information

MIMM

May 30, 2016
roadtonowhere said:
Yup similar timeline here. Inland application. CIC received my application March 29th, still waiting.
Current wait time is 13 months so hoping by end of April. I called and followed up and they told me the same
Hi roadtonowhere, how often do you call CIC to follow up, I call them every two weeks since the beginning of March because I saw other April applicants have received their PPR in the beginning of March. But when I call them today, I was told I have to wait until the end of August, which really upset me.

raja06042016

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
MIMM said:
Hi roadtonowhere, how often do you call CIC to follow up, I call them every two weeks since the beginning of March because I saw other April applicants have received their PPR in the beginning of March. But when I call them today, I was told I have to wait until the end of August, which really upset me.
Your Timeline ??
They told me the same as yours.

MIMM

May 30, 2016
raja06042016 said:
Your Timeline ??
They told me the same as yours.
Hi, raja CIC received my application on April 20, 2016 and medical in Sept. Did they also told you have to wait until August ?

raja06042016

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
MIMM said:
Hi, raja CIC received my application on April 20, 2016 and medical in Sept. Did they also told you have to wait until August ?
Yes, you will hear news hopefully before end of summer (august)

MIMM

May 30, 2016
raja06042016 said:
Yes, you will hear news hopefully before end of summer (august)
Did they tell you why? Is there any issue on your application? Did you order GC notes? I ordered one but I have wait untill mid-April to receive it.

raja06042016

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
MIMM said:
Did they tell you why? Is there any issue on your application? Did you order GC notes? I ordered one but I have wait untill mid-April to receive it.
No, My Application Due Date is Apr 15 in my GCMS.

Your BGC says NOT APPLICABLE ??