+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec investor program~Immigration at the airport and freight

poker

Apr 23, 2015
Hi everyone.
We are to come to Montreal soon and very excited but I have heard some articles here and there that at Trudeau Airport custom and immigration will hold you there for a long time for all sorts of questions, and I am wondering if those who have come through with quebec investor program like us could share the experiences?

Also, we already packed and sent our furnitures but as we will be looking for a place to rent when we get there, we had no choice but to send our container to our friend in Toronto... Would this cause any problems?

Would be great to hear from you guys.

Cheers

vizsagar

May 28, 2013
Dubai
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
poker said:
Hi everyone.
We are to come to Montreal soon and very excited but I have heard some articles here and there that at Trudeau Airport custom and immigration will hold you there for a long time for all sorts of questions, and I am wondering if those who have come through with quebec investor program like us could share the experiences?

Also, we already packed and sent our furnitures but as we will be looking for a place to rent when we get there, we had no choice but to send our container to our friend in Toronto... Would this cause any problems?

Cheers
Hi There,

Congratulations and all the best buddy.
There is no need to panic and take it easy and I was told same thing through some
people I met in the forum but in other topic one of the guys has just done landing
few days back and I am giving you the link below. You can read it for yourself and
can relax as there is nothing like what you have said.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/quebec-investor-program-current-timeline-6-years-4-months-t204510.15.html

Hope this will be of help.

With regards to your cargo, please note that Montreal is arrival port and from their containers
are railed to Toronto and if you have plans to settle down only in Quebec then it will be costly
affair for you to send the cargo all the way from Montreal port to Toronto terminal and then
bring it back. Trucking & handling costs in Canada will kill you. I am telling you this because
I am from freight industry so if cargo is yet to reach Montreal then suggest ask your shipping
company to hold it there.

In an ideal solution you should have delayed the movement of your cargo to arrive Montreal
in a way that it reaches around after 20 to 30 days of your arrival there so that you have place
available to take all the cargoes.

Just a suggestion only and hope this is of help.

All the best and will appreciate if you can share your timeline and VO etc.

God bless!!!
Viz

poker

Apr 23, 2015
Thank you Vizsagar for a very detailed reply!!!

I've read the link and I am less stressed out now. I heard from people that immigration at Trudeau Airport won't let you get out easily and they make sure to ask questions that make you want to go home :'(
I read it some time ago that a kid was asked questions about the reason for their visit separately and so on...
I still have alot of things I am not sure about, I would really appreciate if you guys could share the experiences.

Regarding about the cargo, I wonder if I could request a change of destination?? We were told that the container will go direct to toronto, so we initially said we will get a mover to unload and bring them to Quebec.... Iknow it sounds and probably is going to be costly. Another worry was that I thought this container will give us a headache from immigration as it is going to Toronto. As the linked story said you need to give a list of what you are going to bring later, they would raise questions to why not to Montreal?
Am I panicing too much?!

vizsagar

May 28, 2013
Dubai
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Poker,

Glad that my input is of some help and would suggest that you closely follow "XpressEnterprise"
posts as he has just landed there and is very helpful as well if you ask him any questions.

I am sure there are different officers and everybody has different way of taking things up but overall
what I would suggest is not to panic and do check CIC website as most of the information is available
there and in these forums as well. Make sure all your paperwork is good and offcourse if they ask any
questions then just answer precisely what they asked and everything should be ok. Secondly if you have
gone through the lawyer then ask them to guide you as well.

So this case I feel you should relax and do let me know when you are traveling and as requested please
do share your timeline as well and VO etc. for benefit of others.

Regarding your cargo you can surely change the destination but it depends which shipping line you have
used as some route cargo to Toronto via New York or some via Montreal so you will have to check with
shipping line and would strongly suggest that if you are surely planning to settle down in Montreal then
move the container to Montreal which would be cheaper than getting cargo at Toronto and then moving
cargo to Montreal. Plus you are very right that customs might (though not sure) ask you why you are
getting cargo in Toronto which might be creating doubt in their mind of intentions to stay in Quebec or
not.

These are once again my personal thoughts and I am not an expert but suggesting as a friend only.

I agree with you that you are unnecessarily panicking and suggest that you do research in these forums
and on CIC website as well hence take it easy bro. After spending so much time and money you don't
want to spoil it all.

Do stay in touch and please do share your timeline, VO and when you are landing etc. and where are
you from as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
All the best and God bless!!

Viz

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
01-12-2010 (Damascus, Syria)
Passport Req..
21-02-2012 (PPR1) / 15-10-2014 (PPR1 with chart) / 17-11-2014 (PPR2)
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2014 (Received on 01-01-2015)
LANDED..........
12-04-2015 (PR Card : 09-07-2015)
Hi Poker,

You are panicking unnecessarily. My experience in Montreal Trudeau Airport was very pleasant. The only thing I didn't like was the waiting period. Our bags were never even touched (mainly because we are landing immigrants and exempted from taxes). We were only asked about the program for which we had Applied for (Quebec Investor Program, NV5-QC) Plus, we were not carrying any meat or dairy items.

Kindly look into the following links to know what you can and cant bring in Canada as they give you a fairly brief idea:

- What you can bring home to Canada
- What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products?

Upon arrival, you MUST provide an address in Montreal to Immigration Official for your PR card processing. It doesn't matter where your cargo is coming from, however there is some cost involve in transporting your cargo from Toronto to Montreal and you must have some research and quotations to show if asked by immigration official.

Since you have already sent Cargo, there is no need to explain anything now.

Just relax, enjoy and it will make your journey pleasant. (We were upgraded for business class for free... so... anything good can happen ;D )

broadwayeast

Apr 15, 2015
poker said:
Hi everyone.

Cheers

As of to date, I am sure if you have already landed in Montreal, Quebec.

However, my concern in your case scenario will be whether or not an Immigration Officer at the Tredeau Airport did cause you some troubles by way of asking why you shipped your cargo to Toronto instead of Montreal as your had declared of your intent to reside in the province of Quebec.

Your kind input will be so much appreciated, many thanks.