+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Immigration Options for UK Citizen

crabbit

Mar 21, 2016
Hi folks, I'm wondering if some of you may be able to offer a little advice to point me in the right direction. Here's some background information:

I'm 35, I'm a UK citizen and I'm currently in Quebec on a stamped passport. I was not given an exit stamp which means unless I apply for an extension, I have to leave before the 15th of June. I'm a self employed web developer, I work through my own UK limited company and I do not have any Canadian clients. I've been continuing my work while in Canada. I do not own any property in the UK, all my furniture and belongings are in storage. My girlfriend is Canadian by birth and has been a Quebec citizen for 6 years, before which she was a citizen of Ontario. She works as a teacher here in Quebec. We met online it the very beginning of 2015, with my first visit to Quebec at the end of April. She then came to Scotland for 5 months in July and when she returned in December, I came with her.

We've been quite careful to keep evidence of our relationship because although quite a heavy subject for a new relationship, at the time we realised it may be necessary. We have evidence of my visit in April, but more importantly, as soon as she arrived in the UK she opened a bank account at my address. I did the same when we got to Canada in December, opening a joint account at the same time. We also have a joint cellphone contract and a letter from our current landlord. We will be moving house at the weekend and we will both be on the lease. There are many dated photos of us and we have each spent time with the others immediate family.

I think trying to gain permanent residency through employment is going to be quite difficult with my current profession, which I love. I gave up a career in the construction industry 5 years ago as a draftsman which I didn't really enjoy but I have 9 years experience. However it's unlikely I'd find anyone willing to employ with no experience in the last 5 years. So I think that leaves us with the common law sponsorship option. If I am successful in application for an extension to my visit, at the end of July we will have been living together for a year.

So based on all that, I have several questions:

• Going the common law sponsorship route, will the evidence we have collected be sufficient for an application?
  • Are there any tips for applying for an extension? Am I likely to be declined if I apply for another full 6 months?
  • Are there any other options for me with regards to permanent residency in Quebec?

Many thanks!

azdazd

May 5, 2011
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Delhi
Hi there,

First of all, I suggest you to think of CSQ (Quebec Skilled Worker ) immigration scheme , here is the seslection factors, you may go through it carefully
canadavisa.com/quebec-skilled-worker-immigration.html

secondly, whenever you need to renew your visa in the next time, never delay, just jump to US for seconds and re-enter Canada, your visa will be renewed!

Lastly, common law sponsorship route is fine, but maybe could take time!

Sincerely,
Azd.

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
crabbit said:
So based on all that, I have several questions:

• Going the common law sponsorship route, will the evidence we have collected be sufficient for an application?
  • Are there any tips for applying for an extension? Am I likely to be declined if I apply for another full 6 months?
  • Are there any other options for me with regards to permanent residency in Quebec?

Many thanks!
Hello,

I think you have it figured out. The common law route seems straight-forward with the evidence you have gathered. Pictures, letters, proof of visits and/or cohabitation, joint banking should be sufficient. You can also take a look at the spousal sponsorship questionnaire which will give you an idea about the things they're looking for.

I'd just add one comment: make sure the evidence and documents you'll be presenting don't convey the impression that you've been "planning" this since the beginning of the relationship. It's understandable that you're trying to plan ahead, as you should, just don't make it seem too calculated. This is just my opinion.

You'll get better and deeper insights if you post (or lurk) in the spousal sponsorship section of the forum, but bear in mind that you'd have to go through the additional step of applying for a family-class CSQ (after the sponsorship approval step and before submitting the PR application). The whole process (outland) should take under a year from start to finish.

The other option to become a PR in QC is to apply for a skilled worker CSQ but that's a VERY long and more complicated route.

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
azdazd said:
secondly, whenever you need to renew your visa in the next time, never delay, just jump to US for seconds and re-enter Canada, your visa will be renewed!
This is a very dangerous piece of advice and a recipe for disaster. On his way back he needs to convince the border officers that he's not "living" in Canada, which is exactly what they will suspect when they see someone has been staying in Canada for six months, then steps outside for "seconds" and attempts to return as a visitor/tourist.
This forum has many stories of US citizens and other visa-exempt nationals who got themselves into very complicated situations because of this.
Follow the proper visa extension procedure and you should be fine.