+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Immigration - Is French Mandatory

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will bet there are some people who may be offended by u comparing Vancouver with Timbuktu. anyway... have u lived in Timbuktu before? how does it compare with Vancouver?

I don't understand this. If u can find a job in US, why would u still go to Canada? also, may I ask where in the US r u right now?

rupeshhari said:
Timbuktu is a famous city in Africa. It is in the desert so most people would think it is not the best place to live. I was trying to give an example where there maybe people who would rather live in Timbuktu than in Vancouver, but I am not one of them.

Yes, it is expensive but I seriously don't see myself moving to Canada without a job upfront. The only way I would do that is if I can't get a job anywhere and I need to go somewhere to go look for a job, then if i have a PR , i might go to canada and look for a job. Otherwise, I am hoping to get a job before moving to canada even if it means working in the US first. Finding a job in canada is a bit easier for academics going to one of the bigger universities.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
I didn't say Timbuktu is bad nor did i say vancouver is bad. I am saying that preferences for city is very much an individual preference. No one should be offended for that. No, I haven't lived in Timbuktu but it is a famous city. As for how it compares to Vancouver, Vancouver is modern and more of a city that most people would want to live in but I am sure there are some people who prefer Timbuktu for personal reasons like maybe they like the heat, or their family is there, etc.

US is not the be all and end all. I think Canada is great. I would rather live in Canada than most parts of US. It also depends on the places I end up in. I think except for maybe 3 cities in the US (like NYC, SF and San Diego....unfortunately all expensive), I would rather live in most places in Canada (except the cold parts) than in the US.

I should get going but if you have other questions, PM me. I am in the east coast of the US. How about you, where are you from?

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rascojenkins,

can u share all the details of wat happened to ur friend who applied for Quebec?

rascojenkins said:
CometoAlberta said:
Please, please show me any link which says "French is a must".

no such rule, for people who is not good at knowing these stuffs, please DON'T mislead those people. you should note that in Quebec, there are still lots of job which only use ENGLISH, for example , a researcher in a university.

people always make conclusions without any study

rascojenkins said:
CometoAlberta said:
for people with statistics/bio-statistic degree,it's pretty easy even you get 0 point in the interview. do more study please. check their immigration law word by word.

Leon said:
CometoAlberta said:
Please don't mislead people, no such words saying that "French is mandatory". however, if you know French, you may get more points and you can do better when interview.

I suggest people who pass the score point and who know English well but don't know French could apply for this program, and during the processing time, he/she can learn some French so that during the interview, he/she can get some points.
Ok, if you want to apply for the Quebec skilled worker without knowing any French, by all means do it and make sure to come back and tell us how it went. Good luck.
French is a requirement for Quebec.
What do you mean Misleading? If you do not hava a level of French you'll be turned down. My Friend was turned down Just for that.

Malmo

Star Member
May 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2010
Hello,
In the self assessment tool I stated that I knew VERY basic French. I can't make a fluent conversation but can introduce myself briefly.

I had French for 3 years in primary school and 2 years in High School. ( I have documented that) BUT its more than 10 years ago and I never EVER spoke French afterwards.

My French is very weak now. I passed the point system eventhough I stated that my French is VERY basic.

I guess if you during the interview show an initiative to learn French and improve your French (no matter how bad it is) you may succeed.

Malmo

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
I applied to Quebec more tan 6 years ago. I remember that the website did not specified french as an specific requirement and I passed the self assessment tool specifying NO french knowledge. I filled up my form, applied to this province and got my interview 4-5 months later at NY.
At the beginning of the interview the immigration started speaking in french and I told her that I did not speak french. Anyway we started the interview in English and at the end of it she asked me the reason I chose Quebec if I did not speak French. She told me that I did not have enough points to get the nomination but she gave me 6 months to learn French, or alternatively to apply to an English speaking province via federal process instead.
I never took French classes and lost the opportunity... good news is that 6 years later I applied to Alberta and got my PR :)

rascojenkins said:
Ok, if you want to apply for the Quebec skilled worker without knowing any French, by all means do it and make sure to come back and tell us how it went. Good luck.

French is a requirement for Quebec.

What do you mean Misleading? If you do not hava a level of French you'll be turned down. My Friend was turned down Just for that.

coolguy001

Star Member
Oct 28, 2008
CometoAlberta said:
Please don't mislead people, no such words saying that "French is mandatory". however, if you know French, you may get more points and you can do better when interview.

I suggest people who pass the score point and who know English well but don't know French could apply for this program, and during the processing time, he/she can learn some French so that during the interview, he/she can get some points.
i second

Malmo

Star Member
May 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2010
Hello,
I spoke to my immigration lawyers (CanadaVisa.com) and they told me that speaking French is not a prerequisite. Those who get rejected are those who claim that they speak French, while during the interview they can't even say one sentence in French.

French will help you. It will give you points. Also if you are learning French or show a willingness to learn the language during the interview, this will suffice.

Regards

Malmo

Shahi

Champion Member
Oct 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2010
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
15-02-2011 CSQ
AOR Received.
25-05-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with Initial Application
File Transfer...
25-02-2011
Med's Request
13-03-2011
Med's Done....
14-03-2011
Interview........
NR
Passport Req..
13-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2011
LANDED..........
30-05-2011
Hi All,

I absolutely agree!..if you know french..a lot of weak points you might have like less work exp..or slightly less qualified are covered.

Regrds,
Shahi

god0fwar

Star Member
Apr 25, 2010
i've taken the online assessment in the quebec official site for immigration.

i'm an electronics engineer with >8years industry experience.

my English is very good (i'm from the Philippines where we have English as our second official language).

however, no french ability at all! and that's the reason i'm failing even just the online assessment (it needs to be at least intermediate level)

i started to take online (those free ones) french lessons, and also planning to take french classes. i'd like to immigrate to quebec especially my job is not in the 38 skilled jobs where i could apply to the fed gov't directly. also, i find the french language really interesting to learn (not only it is appealing and romantic to hear :) )

hopefully i could get to a good level of french in a year time and get a french ability certification.

wingsofmaybe7777

Mar 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/04/2011 Federal
Nomination.....
CSQ received 04/04/2011
AOR Received.
09/05/2011 Federal
IELTS Request
NR
File Transfer...
NR
Med's Request
25/05/2011
Med's Done....
30/05/2011
Passport Req..
26/08/2011
VISA ISSUED...
12/09/2011
Hey guys... I was just reading the forum and I am mostly interested in getting in touch and/or speaking with Malmo. I am about to apply for Quebec Skilled worker in Vienna and I am a lil concerned about my French and being successful at the interview. I have BS in Management (Business) from a US college and 9 months of legal experience in Business Management. I believe that I fall under the fast track processing system under Quebec new regulations however my French is I would say at the advanced beginner level at best.
I am constantly taking French classes at Alliance Francaise and I am also taking an online course from Babbel Languages. I am hoping that by the time I get to an interview my level will be at lower intermediate at least. What are my chances? How long does it usually take from the point of filing an application to getting an interview?

Thanks.

Malmo

Star Member
May 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2010
Hey guys... I was just reading the forum and I am mostly interested in getting in touch and/or speaking with Malmo. I am about to apply for Quebec Skilled worker in Vienna and I am a lil concerned about my French and being successful at the interview. I have BS in Management (Business) from a US college and 9 months of legal experience in Business Management. I believe that I fall under the fast track processing system under Quebec new regulations however my French is I would say at the advanced beginner level at best.
I am constantly taking French classes at Alliance Francaise and I am also taking an online course from Babbel Languages. I am hoping that by the time I get to an interview my level will be at lower intermediate at least. What are my chances? How long does it usually take from the point of filing an application to getting an interview?
Hello,
I had a phone conversation with my lawyer (CampbellCohen office in Montreal) (they actually run this website) and she told me that French is NOT obligatory. Many people whom she assisted knew 0 French yet they passed the interview. They look at your overall experience, integration option, willingness to work hard and be a proper citizen, education, funds, age etc. YES, if you know French well (upper level Basic French/intermediate) this will ofcourse help you. But if you tell them straightforward that you dont know much French but you want to learn the language (if you rnot already taking a course) then they will respect that and continue in English. My lawyer's clients applied from within Montreal and some from Europe.

I had French (3 years in primary school) and 2 years in high school more than 11 years ago. I haven't spoken any French since and I am quite sure that your French is better than mine.

I am practicing my French now though and its coming back quickly. I can introduce myself and talk about why I want to live in Montreal. (memorizing works you know ;) ) But I cannot make a conversation for long.

IF you state in your application that you know intermediate French and you are not able to prove that, THIS may be the reason for rejection. Be honest. If your French is VERY BASIC, write VERY BASIC. Then the officer will talk to you in THAT level.

It takes approximately 9 months for you to get an interview call....... some 8 months some 10...so 9 is the standard. ATLEAST in Europe......

This is coming from my lawyer and not my own opinion.

Malmo

netsaig

Jun 4, 2010
Bonjour...

Jemappelle Netsai et J'habit au Londres, England...
I enjoy reading this forum comments. This is really a points based system and there are also points on langues. Vous parlez Francaise en Anglais, then you have a chance to get all points for the language. If u speak Anglais, great too, you get half the points. If french only and no Anglais, then maybe 3/4 of the points. Francaise is NOT compulsory. I have written that i have no knowledge of French, because I do not have it, just converse with my kids coz I have always loved the language (oh, btw, all my kids have French names, lol). I believe I will enjoy mixing with those of a French dialect, i may have to go to school once I get there to get myself fluent and ready for the job market. I love French, and I dont take it that the QUEBEC gvt is punitive and believe they are fair. If I meet the points, even without French, then i WILL GET THE VISA. I have already submitted application, AOR received 07/06/2010. I will keep y'all updated. Remember Francaise and Anglais are the 2 official langues in Quebec.
Merci!!!

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
netsaig said:
Bonjour...

Jemappelle Netsai et J'habit au Londres, England...
I enjoy reading this forum comments. This is really a points based system and there are also points on langues. Vous parlez Francaise en Anglais, then you have a chance to get all points for the language. If u speak Anglais, great too, you get half the points. If french only and no Anglais, then maybe 3/4 of the points. Francaise is NOT compulsory. I have written that i have no knowledge of French, because I do not have it, just converse with my kids coz I have always loved the language (oh, btw, all my kids have French names, lol). I believe I will enjoy mixing with those of a French dialect, i may have to go to school once I get there to get myself fluent and ready for the job market. I love French, and I dont take it that the QUEBEC gvt is punitive and believe they are fair. If I meet the points, even without French, then i WILL GET THE VISA. I have already submitted application, AOR received 07/06/2010. I will keep y'all updated. Remember Francaise and Anglais are the 2 official langues in Quebec.
Merci!!!
Good luck. I thought Bill 101 made French the sole official language of Quebec. Is it English too?

netsaig

Jun 4, 2010
Hi Maatis...

To be really honest, I'm not sosure about that bill. But I did read somewhere about English being an official language. I will try and find it and post the link.

Are u already in QUEBEC?

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
no, in the US. I do like Quebec though.