+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec CSQ Application - Regular program – Temporary worker

sebbo

Jan 1, 2012
Hey there

I have seen following program on the Quebec Immigration website:
Regular program – Temporary worker
The regular program is aimed at you if you were legally admitted to Québec as a temporary worker for a total period of at least one year.
I can't really find any more in detail information about this program. Currently I work full time in Quebec with the International Experience Canada - Young Professionals program, I have a work permit for a specific employer for one year. I just started working for the employer one month ago. Can I already apply under the above program? It doesn't say that I have to have worked for 12 months or anything like that. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Marlee

Jan 16, 2014
Montréal, Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
CSQ: BIQ New York; QSW: CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CSQ: 14-01-2014, QSW: 08-12-2014
Doc's Request.
13-11-2015
Nomination.....
DM: 07-01-2016, CSQ: 15-10-2014
AOR Received.
CSQ: 14-05-2014, QSW: 26-03-2015
IELTS Request
IELTS 8.5 - TEFÀQ C1/C1
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waiver
Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016
Hey there,

No, unfortunately you can't. I've been in almost the same situation. I arrived here in June 2013 (Working Holiday visa). The year of employment has to be completed by the time you apply.

Hence, you have three options:

1. Your employer offers you a contract extension and applies for an LMO in combination with a closed work permit (which will only be approved if there is no other suitable Canadian citizen or permanent resident available for the position, unfortunately - and since they recently updated their policies, they are stricter than ever and most LMO applications are being rejected)

2. You apply for permanent residence - either via the Québec Skilled Worker program (assuming your profession is on the list of the professions currently being in demand, otherwise your file will just be put aside and it will take years for it to be processed or you will simply be rejected) or (if you have a partner who is either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident who you have been living with in a marriage-like relationship for at least one consecutive year, meaning living together, split bills etc.) you could apply for the Québec Family Class Sponsoring. After one year of working for your company, you might as well apply for the Québec Experience Class, however, if you wish to stay while your file is being processed, you will again need a closed work permit (see option 1)

3. You apply for a Working Holiday visa which is an open work permit, hence, there are no restrictions concerning who you work for or what your position is (certainly the easiest option, although you will have to be quick - last year the visas were gone within a few hours, which means you will have to check the IEC homepage regularly for announcements and be ready to go once they open the application process)

I know it's crazy but hey, you're not alone. I hope that helps a bit!

Cheers from Montréal,
Marlee

sebbo

Jan 1, 2012
Hey Marlee

Thank you for your response.

I am referring to following websites:
immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/stay-quebec/application-csq/index.html
immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/temporary-workers/stay-quebec/application-csq/workers-quebec/index.html
immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/temporary-workers/stay-quebec/application-csq/workers-quebec/when-where-submit.html

However, you may submit a CSQ application in Québec at any time during your stay as a temporary worker, if you satisfy the following conditions:

you are staying in Québec principally to work here and you hold a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ – Québec acceptance certificate) for temporary work and a valid work permit unless you are exempted by regulation;

OR
you hold a work permit in the framework of a working holiday program and you currently have a full-time job;

AND
you comply with all the conditions of your work permit and, if applicable, of your CAQ (a CAQ is not required for participants in a Working Holiday Program and for certain categories of temporary workers);
you were legally admitted to Québec for a period of at least one year or for consecutive periods totaling at least one year.

How does that work, can I apply with a realistic chance for the CSQ under above program with my one year work permit under the Young Professionals program? Would I still need to meet the points requirements? I didn't find anything about that my one year work permit would give me any more points. However for the points I only find the table for the "normal" skilled worker process.

Unfortunately my country doesn't participate in the Working Holiday program, just the Young Professionals.

How did you do it? Accordingly your timeline you have applied after 6 months?

Thank you.

Cheers from Montreal too
Sebbo

Marlee

Jan 16, 2014
Montréal, Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
CSQ: BIQ New York; QSW: CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CSQ: 14-01-2014, QSW: 08-12-2014
Doc's Request.
13-11-2015
Nomination.....
DM: 07-01-2016, CSQ: 15-10-2014
AOR Received.
CSQ: 14-05-2014, QSW: 26-03-2015
IELTS Request
IELTS 8.5 - TEFÀQ C1/C1
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waiver
Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016
Yes, you will still need to get the necessary points.
I applied for the Skilled Worker Program since I have a nursing degree and nurses are in high demand here.

However, if you are planning to stay here, I would strongly advise you to immigrate via the Quebec Experience Program since it is a lot faster than the Skilled Worker Program. You will be able to do so after exactly one year of having worked for your current employer. Still, you will need a new work permit after one year since the YP visa cannot be renewed. You can only apply for it once in a lifetime.

Hence, this is what I would do (it's certainly the easiest way):

- You talk to your employer about your situation and if he is willing to apply for a closed work permit for you

- Your employer applies for a closed work permit for you (be sure to start this process in time - at least 3 months prior to the expiration of your current visa since it takes some time)

- Once your YP visa is about to expire, you go to the Canadian/US border to activate your closed work permit

- Now you can continue to work for your current employer while your PR application is in progress

- Once you have been employed for exactly one year, you apply for the Quebec Experience Class [if you don't speak French yet, get going - you have to pass at least level B2 (intermediate/advanced) on the TEF/TEFAQ (French test) but I made it, it's not impossible; there are several French courses for immigrants/temporary workers here in Montreal that are funded by the government, therefore you merely pay $80 for an entire course which is quite awesome actually] -> check the requirements here, you should meet them: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/temporary-workers/stay-quebec/application-csq/workers-peq/conditions-steps.html

I hope this helps! ;)