+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec - Crafty ways to change last name after marriage... or can I do it anyway

JemHollogram

Dec 13, 2017
I wanted to take my husbands last name after marriage. The only way I was able to successfully do it, was to have my last name legally changed to his.

I strategically changed my last name legally in my home province. I presented the documents showing this in QC. After a lot of confusion, I nowhave all ID in my husbands last name. I wanted the same last name for our family & household (like in other provinces).

JemHollogram

Dec 13, 2017
I'm hoping to find out if you were ever successful in changing your name in Quebec? I am also a US national who has immigrated to Quebec via spousal sponsorship. I am doing some research as to a name change and was considering try this route... thanks in advance.
Yes, there are ways it can be done.

timl

Mar 20, 2019
I was wondering if anyone has experience with changing their name while being on a temporary visa in quebec?
I'm a US citizen, and currently on a working visa. In the general Canadian immigration website it says that if one changes their name legally in their passport, their temporary visa can be updated. I wasn't able to find anything about such a situation in quebec and hope someone can share their knowledge :) thanks!

c_m_m

Nov 4, 2021
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
12-08-2021
AOR Received.
28-10-2021
Med's Request
08-12-2021
Med's Done....
22-12-2021
Passport Req..
09-02-2022
I can see this is an old thread but it may help someone to add my experience with this - I changed my name legally by deed poll (UK) after getting married in Canada and returning to my home country, but before we submitted our application. I ensured I had a new passport, driver's license, and evidence that I was using my new name legally & day-to-day before we started. I supplied a certified colour copy of the deed poll with our application. I included a copy of my old passport for a few reasons... it had entry stamps, I had a previous ETA associated with it... but also as additional evidence in case the name change raised any red flags. Our application and my documents have been issued in my new name without any issues. From what I have seen it is extremely difficult to change your name after the fact, if you intend to live in Quebec.

DSnyder

Sep 2, 2016
Montréal, QC
I can see this is an old thread but it may help someone to add my experience with this - I changed my name legally by deed poll (UK) after getting married in Canada and returning to my home country, but before we submitted our application. I ensured I had a new passport, driver's license, and evidence that I was using my new name legally & day-to-day before we started. I supplied a certified colour copy of the deed poll with our application. I included a copy of my old passport for a few reasons... it had entry stamps, I had a previous ETA associated with it... but also as additional evidence in case the name change raised any red flags. Our application and my documents have been issued in my new name without any issues. From what I have seen it is extremely difficult to change your name after the fact, if you intend to live in Quebec.
Yes, I think this will be my “issue”. I have had my PR since 20
Yes, I think this will be my problem. I’ve had my PR since 2017 and am planning to marry in Florida (home state and US nationality) and change my name there before applying for citizenship. But I’m not sure if I can assume the name and apply for an official change 5 years later.. if that would be approved or not.