+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Applications Estimated at 24 Months?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
At this point, with 40k family members stuck in the backlog, I don't see how any Quebec government could approve to release more PRs in a given year, since that would reflect in the total number of permanent immigrants admitted and that would be a massive backlash in terms of political support.
You make good points, I should have said, my comments only from outsider's point of view - which I''m going to call 'rationality' - without view of what's acceptable in Quebec politically / from point of view of Legault government.

I don't think it's sustainable either to have the waitlist grow and grow long term - but whether it gets balanced somehow over six months (eg getting rid of the quota) or by increasing the quota gradually (i.e. years to stabilize /reduce the backlog), I don't know.

Or some other way, I dunno.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The thing I'm finding really disturbing about the whole thing is the lack of transparency and deliberate misinformation about the wait time for this particular group of visas which - by a strange coincidence - is the only visa that Quebec can't specify language requirements for.

I've been trying to find out why the processing time has jumped up so dramatically for Quebec (given that their immigration quotas haven't changed drastically in the last decade). The quotas used to be targets - it now looks like they're hard limits
edit: @armoured - exactly! (I didn't see your post until I posted mine) but yeah, I think you're right about the lack of visas being processed this year. I'll have to see if I can find any interim figures for the amount of completed visas this year.
Yes, to be perfectly clear, it DOES seem as if Quebec has started treating these 'targets' (which for some programmes like spousal were always just estimates) have been turned into quotas or limits. That's the core of the issue.

And the feds are clearly disputing this with Quebec govt but behind the scenes. Before this, they either didn't publish separate timelines for Quebec or they were not significantly different (and didn't get updated much).

Clearly now this is one way they are putting pressure on Legault's government. Complain: complain to your MNA, your mayor, your everyone you can think of. And yes, your MP, too - although your MP can't do much more than agree with the feds and maybe call their colleagues in the assemblée nationale.

Reactions: SethLePod

YULpj

Star Member
May 14, 2019
I tried to call MIFI and can't get a hold of them

My CSQ expired in September 2024 what happens now with the 41 month wait?

SCcanuck

Dec 4, 2023
I'm wondering if we will get any progress for the rest of December. I'm guessing they are about to go on Christmas break or already have. So i'm not expecting anything until January. And based on the idea the target/cap will reset in January, wait times may go down for a bit.

Feb 9, 2022
I'd like to share an update. I was scrolling through this thread earlier today, venting frustrations along with everyone else. I thought my case wouldn't show any progress until at least next year. To my surprise, I received portal 1 this afternoon. I submitted my application in May 2022. I thought Quebec's quota for this year was already filled. I'm not sure if this news had any impact, but I hope everyone sees some updates soon.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
I'd like to share an update. I was scrolling through this thread earlier today, venting frustrations along with everyone else. I thought my case wouldn't show any progress until at least next year. To my surprise, I received portal 1 this afternoon. I submitted my application in May 2022. I thought Quebec's quota for this year was already filled. I'm not sure if this news had any impact, but I hope everyone sees some updates soon.
Congratulations! Can you share your timeline? In particular: primary VO, secondary VO, CSQ dates, medical completed date, background completed date, eligibility completed date. Thanks

SCcanuck

Dec 4, 2023
I would think they are getting back from the holiday break. Plus if its a hard cap, i'm hoping there's a bunch of approvals coming soon. i just dont know when the number resets.