+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Applicant Changing Jobs

Eidolon

Jul 3, 2013
Here's my current situation:
I was accepted by Québec for permanent residency in the Skilled Worker class in Feb 2012 and received my CSQ.
May 29, 2012 I heard back from Case Processing in Ottawa that my permanent residency files were received and that I can take my medical exams, which I took in June 2012.
June 2013 (over a year later) I got a note to pay my final RPRF. I paid it the same day, e-mails the receipt all filled out, and have yet to hear back.
Sept 7 2013 my three year work permit will expire.
My work status is about to change and I will no longer be working at the place that my work permit is for.

I know I can stay in the country until my work permit expires. But I may not have heard back about permanent residency before that day.

So here are my questions:
- Will my job status change affect my permanent residency application?
- Do I need to apply for an open work permit for when my current work permit expires? Or apply for visitor status?
- Instead of looking for a new job, I wish to start my own company here in my same field, but I obviously can't do that until I have PR. Does this change the answer to the previous question or even matter?
- I have implied status as a visitor while I wait for a decision on my PR, correct?
- I cannot collect EI because I'm a temporary worker currently, right?

darkesthorizon

Jun 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
25-01-2013
I'm in a somewhat similar situation to yourself. I'd say, find a new job, and then ask your new employer to provide with an offer of employment letter. You can then apply for a new work permit with your new job offer, though the processing will cost $150 and it'll probably take a month or so. As I understand it, if you have a permit application in process, you are allowed to work in the meantime.