+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

que regarding kids english schools in Monteral/Quebec

sumitbajaj07

Nov 23, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Hi have question regarding kids english schools in Monteral/Kirkland areas. I got job in Monteral but I am having hard time for finding private English schools for kids.

Please help.

Thanks,
Sumit

maleeksha

Star Member
Nov 26, 2015
Category........
PNP
Hello Sumit,
Any luck in finding private English schools? Do you have any recommendations?
Thanks,
Maleeksha

sumitbajaj07 said:
Hi,

Hi have question regarding kids english schools in Monteral/Kirkland areas. I got job in Monteral but I am having hard time for finding private English schools for kids.

Please help.

Thanks,
Sumit

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
sumitbajaj07 said:
Hi,

Please help.

Thanks,
Sumit
Hello,

I assume you're interested in private schools because you are not eligible to send your children to English-language public or publicly subsidized private schools.

Here is the official list of English-language unsubsidized private schools: http://www.education.gouv.qc.ca/fileadmin/site_web/documents/reseau/ens_prive/etablissements_prives_nonsubventionnes_2015.pdf

This list does not include subsidized private schools, which require an English eligibility certificate.

Schools in category A give you the most points if you want to send your kids to English public school later on, then in order B3, B2, C3, B1, C2, C1. The full regulation on this is available here: http://legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/ShowDoc/cr/C-11,%20r.%202.1/

The category A schools have tuition around $20,000 a year.

maleeksha

Star Member
Nov 26, 2015
Category........
PNP
Hello Frege,
Thanks for the links. $20k per year is too much!
Do you have any feedback from english speaking parents who have sent their kids to public schools in Quebec? My kids are aged 13 and 10. Your views and opinion will be much welcomed.

Thanks,
Maleeksha

frege said:
Hello,

I assume you're interested in private schools because you are not eligible to send your children to English-language public or publicly subsidized private schools.

Here is the official list of English-language unsubsidized private schools: http://www.education.gouv.qc.ca/fileadmin/site_web/documents/reseau/ens_prive/etablissements_prives_nonsubventionnes_2015.pdf

This list does not include subsidized private schools, which require an English eligibility certificate.

Schools in category A give you the most points if you want to send your kids to English public school later on, then in order B3, B2, C3, B1, C2, C1. The full regulation on this is available here: http://legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/ShowDoc/cr/C-11,%20r.%202.1/

The category A schools have tuition around $20,000 a year.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
maleeksha said:
Hello Frege,
Thanks for the links. $20k per year is too much!
Do you have any feedback from english speaking parents who have sent their kids to public schools in Quebec? My kids are aged 13 and 10. Your views and opinion will be much welcomed.

Thanks,
Maleeksha
English public schools are good in most places.

But if neither of you went to elementary school in Canada and you become permanent residents, then your kids will almost certainly have to go to either a French school or an unsubsidized English private school. If you are in Quebec on a temporary basis, they may be able to go to an English public school (or a subsidized private one). There are a small number of other exceptions. An explanation of the rules can be found here: http://www.education.gouv.qc.ca/en/parents-and-guardians/instruction-in-english/eligibility/

Age 13 isn't too late to switch. I'm sure a lot of people move to the U.S. and their kids don't speak English at first, but then they go to school with everyone else, learn it well and end up bilingual. It can be the same in Quebec with French.

French public schools have "reception classes" (classes d'accueil) for kids who don't speak French. The classes are taught in French, but they're for language learners, usually the children of new immigrants. After a year the kids are mainstreamed.

If you want your kids to study in English, then I think your only choices will be the ones in the list I linked to above (English-language unsubsidized private schools http://www.education.gouv.qc.ca/fileadmin/site_web/documents/reseau/ens_prive/etablissements_prives_nonsubventionnes_2015.pdf ).

Here is an academic ranking of most high schools in Quebec: http://quebec.compareschoolrankings.org/secondary/SchoolsByRankLocationName.aspx
There are options to sort them between English and French, public and private, by region, etc. The list doesn't distinguish between private subsidized and private unsubsidized. Some schools aren't on the list, and I think that happens mostly when they're very small.

The link below is to a ranking of most French-language public elementary schools in the Montreal area. Click on "carte" for a map of the schools. To send your kids to a public elementary school, you usually need to live in that school's catchment area, though the exact rules vary by school board ("commission scolaire"). There are exceptions for so-called "écoles à projet particulier," which would be called "magnet schools" in the U.S.
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/education/201508/31/01-4896548-palmares-des-ecoles-primaires-publiques.php

Generally, the top academic schools in Quebec tend to be certain French-language subsidized private schools, especially in larger cities. For example, the top high school in Quebec is Jean-de-Brébeuf, in Montreal, which costs about $5,000 a year. The top public schools are the "écoles internationales." To go to one of those, you have to live within the jurisdiction of the school board that runs it and pass an entrance exam.

maleeksha

Star Member
Nov 26, 2015
Category........
PNP
Thanks Frege. Actually we are all bilingual - French and English. But we have learnt french only as a language and our teaching medium is English. My only worry is mathematical and scientific terms in French. When I see your timeline, yours was a quick one. Based on your experience, do you have any personal recommendation or advice regarding schools in Quebec? In the meatime I'll go through the links you have provided.

Cheers,
Maleeksha

frege said:
English public schools are good in most places.

But if neither of you went to elementary school in Canada and you become permanent residents, then your kids will almost certainly have to go to either a French school or an unsubsidized English private school. If you are in Quebec on a temporary basis, they may be able to go to an English public school (or a subsidized private one). There are a small number of other exceptions. An explanation of the rules can be found here: http://www.education.gouv.qc.ca/en/parents-and-guardians/instruction-in-english/eligibility/

Age 13 isn't too late to switch. I'm sure a lot of people move to the U.S. and their kids don't speak English at first, but then they go to school with everyone else, learn it well and end up bilingual. It can be the same in Quebec with French.

French public schools have "reception classes" (classes d'accueil) for kids who don't speak French. The classes are taught in French, but they're for language learners, usually the children of new immigrants. After a year the kids are mainstreamed.

If you want your kids to study in English, then I think your only choices will be the ones in the list I linked to above (English-language unsubsidized private schools http://www.education.gouv.qc.ca/fileadmin/site_web/documents/reseau/ens_prive/etablissements_prives_nonsubventionnes_2015.pdf ).

Here is an academic ranking of most high schools in Quebec: http://quebec.compareschoolrankings.org/secondary/SchoolsByRankLocationName.aspx
There are options to sort them between English and French, public and private, by region, etc. The list doesn't distinguish between private subsidized and private unsubsidized. Some schools aren't on the list, and I think that happens mostly when they're very small.

The link below is to a ranking of most French-language public elementary schools in the Montreal area. Click on "carte" for a map of the schools. To send your kids to a public elementary school, you usually need to live in that school's catchment area, though the exact rules vary by school board ("commission scolaire"). There are exceptions for so-called "écoles à projet particulier," which would be called "magnet schools" in the U.S.
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/education/201508/31/01-4896548-palmares-des-ecoles-primaires-publiques.php

Generally, the top academic schools in Quebec tend to be certain French-language subsidized private schools, especially in larger cities. For example, the top high school in Quebec is Jean-de-Brébeuf, in Montreal, which costs about $5,000 a year. The top public schools are the "écoles internationales." To go to one of those, you have to live within the jurisdiction of the school board that runs it and pass an entrance exam.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
maleeksha said:
Thanks Frege. Actually we are all bilingual - French and English. But we have learnt french only as a language and our teaching medium is English. My only worry is mathematical and scientific terms in French. When I see your timeline, yours was a quick one. Based on your experience, do you have any personal recommendation or advice regarding schools in Quebec? In the meatime I'll go through the links you have provided.

Cheers,
Maleeksha
Well, I am the Canadian one, and my wife is British. I grew up here and went to English schools in Quebec. But for families where both parents are immigrants, and the children have never lived in other provinces in Canada, it's rare that they'll be allowed to go to English school in Quebec. So the reality is that short of sending your kids to expensive unsubsidized private schools, they will have to study in French.

If your kids already speak French, then you really shouldn't worry about mathematical and scientific terminology, particularly at the age they are. That's an extremely minor problem compared to learning a new language.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
docsazm said:
Hello,
Is it possible for students to send their children to other provinces for English school?
I doubt this is possible if it's a public school and you don't live in that province. However, temporary residents of Quebec can (temporarily) send their children to English school in Quebec, for a maximum of three years. If you are in Quebec on a student permit, it is worth looking into this.

Alternatively, there are parts of Ontario you could move to that are within commuting distance of Montreal. If your child studies for four years in English in Canada at the elementary level, and you later become a Canadian citizen, then he and his siblings can continue in English in Quebec.

docsazm

Star Member
May 11, 2016
Thanks frege,for the info
But do international students have to pay for their children at public schools too??
If yes, how much, any idea,
I hav 2 kids, 5 and 8 yrs...

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
docsazm said:
Thanks frege,for the info
But do international students have to pay for their children at public schools too??
If yes, how much, any idea,
I hav 2 kids, 5 and 8 yrs...
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you'll have to pay. To be certain, I would suggest you contact the English-language school board that has jurisdiction in the area you intend to live. If you're going to be in Montreal, but don't know where, contact the EMSB (English Montreal School Board), which covers the largest English-speaking population.

EVA RAO

Nov 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Australia
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/11/2015
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
02/12/2015
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
None
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Hope Soon
Are there any public english schools in quebec ? if yes please share information

EVA RAO

Nov 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Australia
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/11/2015
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
02/12/2015
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
None
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Hope Soon
Yes but if you are immigrating your children don't qualify. They must study in French.
What if I have CSQ and Permanent Migrant??