+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Qu. on Status in a former country

California2Canada

Apr 25, 2017
I am working on my address & employment history for the last 10 years as part of spousal sponsorship (I'm American, getting sponsored by my Canadian wife). One of those years (2011) I was living and working in Swaziland (southern Africa).

I know that my employers were paying taxes for/on me but I also know they never ended up getting me a work permit like they planned on. So I would leave the country every 30 days and re-enter as a tourist. I never worried about this, as it really wasn't a problem there, but now I don't know what to put on my form. If I list that I was working there but select 'visitor' as a status, surely that will make it look like I worked illegally. However if I choose my status as 'worker', are they going to check if I had a valid work permit? Which answer is worse?

Has anyone had to prove their worker status in another country before?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am working on my address & employment history for the last 10 years as part of spousal sponsorship (I'm American, getting sponsored by my Canadian wife). One of those years (2011) I was living and working in Swaziland (southern Africa).

I know that my employers were paying taxes for/on me but I also know they never ended up getting me a work permit like they planned on. So I would leave the country every 30 days and re-enter as a tourist. I never worried about this, as it really wasn't a problem there, but now I don't know what to put on my form. If I list that I was working there but select 'visitor' as a status, surely that will make it look like I worked illegally. However if I choose my status as 'worker', are they going to check if I had a valid work permit? Which answer is worse?

Has anyone had to prove their worker status in another country before?
Be 100% honest and it will not have any effect on your PR app. However, lying most definitely could have an effect, such as a 5 year ban for misrepresentation.