+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Qorax, PMM, Leon----parents extending visitor status

caribgrl55

Star Member
Aug 21, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know family class talks mostly about spousal, but I have a few questions about parents. I know the parent sponsorship process is extremely long. Can the process be made easier with extensions to visits?

-how easy is it for parents of a PR to extend their 6 month visitor status? (They are US citizens)
-what is the max length it can be extended to?
-how many times can you seek an extension?
- can a reason for asking for the extension just be they would like to spend more time with family?

I'm just trying to figure out how to make things as easy and bearable as possible.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can extend a visit for up to six months at a time. You can request an extension as many times as you want to. However given how long it takes to sponsor parents (5+ years), you should expect that an extension request will be denied sooner or later and they will have to return to the US and live there.

caribgrl55

Star Member
Aug 21, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks for the reply scylla. What you say does make sense. I just wanted to see if during the 5 or 6 years of the entire process, if parents would be able to visit for a decent bit of time. I also wonder if parents were granted a 6 month extension and end up staying for a year, if they go home for a few months and visit again, is it possible to be outright denied coming back in?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - they could be denied if they spend too much time here. Keep in mind that they are only allowed to visit. If they start behaving like they live here (i.e. spend more time here than in the US), that's possible grounds for being denied entry into Canada or for being granted a visit of less than six months. The decision on whether to let them in or not is ultimately up to the individual immigration officer.

caribgrl55

Star Member
Aug 21, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks again scylla,

I guess you just have to hope and pray your parents don't get terribly sick or God forbid die during the sponsorship process huh..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Keep in mind that while your parents are visiting Canada, the will not be covered by the health care system. So make sure they purchase travel insurance to cover their entire stay here.

caribgrl55

Star Member
Aug 21, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Definitely.... Doesn't it make sense that parents who have pending sponsorship applications should be allowed to stay in Canada during the process once they have their own private insurance until the process is complete- then, Canada would not have to worry about them putting a strain on their resources.

I know many times, parents would be retired and of course Canada does not see them as contributing to the economy in terms of being working age. But many of these people have their life savings with them. This money will be injected directly into the Canadian economy over time! I'm no economics guru, but I don't see parents as being the HUGE burden Canada makes them seem to be.

That's my little 5c.. I'm sure there are arguments against as well ::)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I had an interesting disucsssion with a friend of mine in health care some time ago on this subject.

They track all sort of stats on health care use and the costs of providing these services - and apparently something like 80% of the medical costs each of us will incur over your lifetime happen in the last year or two of our lives. (I know I don't have the numbers quite right - but they're close enough.)

So the argument is that someone who has lived here their entire life and had paid taxes their entire life will end up paying into the health care system (and therefore supporting the health care systems) very significantly more than someone who immigrated late in life (and either doesn't work or works only a few years before retiring). The second group costs Canada money (because over their lifetime as a Canadian they will pay significantly less in taxes) and their health care costs are subsidized heavily by the first group. It's true that the second group will inject money into the economy by spending their savings - but this isn't even remotely enough to "cover their costs" because maintaining the health care system is expensive and because the majority of their health care spend will come near the end of their life.

caribgrl55

Star Member
Aug 21, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, I do see your point. If you take in all the pros and the cons of that segment of population, I suppose you would still be in the red, and therefore, it will not be 'good business sense' for Canada.

Nonetheless, it is still sad that the process is a lengthy one with a lot of risk in that if a parent is healthy as a horse at the beginning of the process, and then some medical issue that is considered a big strain on Canada pops up before they do their medicals, application will most likely be denied. I suppose it is just a risk you take.

But then again, the whole issue of backlog applicants is another sad one (some waiting for 7 years).

Such is life. Nice to see you contributing so much on this forum even after you have landed. Sent some positive karma your way.