+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QORAX other Seniors Bad Experience with CBSA ( Goods to follow) Clearance

toenjoy

Star Member
Apr 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear all forum members,

I would like to share one of the bad experience with CBSA people.

I went to CBSA office for self clearance of my goods to follow which was arrived at FedEX.

When I filled goods to follow form when i land here before 6 months. I have declare 12200$ amount of total goods to follow list.

I have handed over to the clearance officer that filled form B4 stamped by CBSA officer at airport when i land here.

That clearance officer gave me one form mentioning my shipment is selected for examination of customs and other government of canada dept. he told me to call after 24 hours to know status of your shipment examinations.my shipment INR value is 10,340/- INR..

I handed over detail breakdown list including value in INR that what's things are included in shipment.he has also asked to submit stamped goods to follow form, i did that..

when next day I visit office they told me that I have to pay 201$ duty because all items are new in your shipment including vessels clothes.I told that offcier my shipment included all items that were used by me and my family.
I keep on telling him that pls give me chance to provide justification i can prove my point let's go to the shipment location and i am ready to give clarification.he told me that we can't do that and offcier who have examine your shipment is different and i got ordered from him to take 201 $ duty.

you have to pay duty and later on you file appeal for refund.

So i paid duty and received detail break up from CBSA.

My total duty was only 63$ excluding tax .

Tax amount 138$

I ask them pls explain me duty break up and tax amount they told me that it is not our duty.

But I am not feed up , I am going to file appeal for refund.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
This situation usually happens if one has many 'new' items in the shipment - especially pricey ones viz. Home Theatre systems, TVs, Laptops, Car etc. However, for lesser worth goods I haven't heard anyone getting a hardtime.

In any case - everything that we bring-in (new immigrants) r 'legally' Duty Free, if listed in the GTF. Probably your Inspecting Officer, unfortunately, wasn't aware of the correct rules - & thus s/he fed that report. And once done - the Desk Clerk couldn't help... though their Supervisor could have intervened & wrote a 'waiver'.

Nothing lost yet - file that 'appeal' & the amount would be Refunded. But, it takes around 2-4 months (yes, 'months' for getting the refund). But, it'd sure come back.

Thanx for sharing...

Qorax
Ps.: I'm aware of cases where ppl had to pay duty for their Cars@a Border Post, while landing by road. They got their 'refunds' too subsequently.

toenjoy

Star Member
Apr 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanx Qurax,

My shipment not included any new items not any costly items. they have problems with my vessels they charge duty $ 54 and if add tax to vessels only $116.

if items are brand new then it's not included in duty free though you have included in form b4.

they found that my all vessels are new... value of my vessels in CAN $ they have assess was $842 and charge me duty 54$ and tax $116 on it...