+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Q5: Is this a mistake?

Aug 2, 2020
So my mother sent her application last week but I think she made a mistake.

In Question 5, she left the boxes blank. She doesn't have any nicknames, or used any other name than the one on her immigration papers. However she did get a correction made to her name on her IMM document last year. That is listed in the "name change" section and the document attesting such is also included in the app. She hasn't changed any of her IDs to match this (health card, driver's license) so she hasn't technically "used" any other name. Is this a mistake that will get her application sent back?

This application is so damn confusing. :(

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
So my mother sent her application last week but I think she made a mistake.

In Question 5, she left the boxes blank. She doesn't have any nicknames, or used any other name than the one on her immigration papers. However she did get a correction made to her name on her IMM document last year. That is listed in the "name change" section and the document attesting such is also included in the app. She hasn't changed any of her IDs to match this (health card, driver's license) so she hasn't technically "used" any other name. Is this a mistake that will get her application sent back?

This application is so damn confusing. :(
This section isn't supposed to be left blank. She's supposed to write her name at birth or maiden name (at the very least) as written on her immigration paper(s).

REF:
Q5. List all names that you have used, including name at birth, maiden name, previously married name(s), alias(es) and nicknames.

Aug 2, 2020
This section isn't supposed to be left blank. She's supposed to write her name at birth or maiden name (at the very least) as written on her immigration paper(s).

REF:
Q5. List all names that you have used, including name at birth, maiden name, previously married name(s), alias(es) and nicknames.
Should she submit another application or wait for this one to be returned in 6 months?

Bhadz_ironside

Aug 27, 2016
Should she submit another application or wait for this one to be returned in 6 months?

That part is a bit confusing.

In the Instruction Guide it says:

We need to know all of the names you have ever used in order to verify your identity. If you used any other names "other than" the one being requested in your grant of citizenship application, print them in the chart.

So I though that if you did not change your name and you are still using the same name since birth, you do not need to write anything in that space. You already provided your name in Question 4A. And also, the name you are using for Citizenship Application is the same with what you used for Permanent Residency Application or Work or Tourist and IRCC has that on record.

I might be wrong. I would call IRCC for clarification.

singhGrewal

Star Member
Jun 26, 2015
That part is a bit confusing.

In the Instruction Guide it says:

We need to know all of the names you have ever used in order to verify your identity. If you used any other names "other than" the one being requested in your grant of citizenship application, print them in the chart.

So I though that if you did not change your name and you are still using the same name since birth, you do not need to write anything in that space. You already provided your name in Question 4A. And also, the name you are using for Citizenship Application is the same with what you used for Permanent Residency Application or Work or Tourist and IRCC has that on record.

I might be wrong. I would call IRCC for clarification.
I have also done the same thing . Did you hear anything from call centre agent regarding this question.
thanks