+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Q13 Immigration / Citizenship status doubt (Country of birth)

indigonation5

Star Member
Dec 21, 2018
the exact wording of this question (please note the bolded part) - Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?

So my doubt is - do we need to separately mention the country of birth if it is different from my nationality/citizenship?

For my case, I am a Filipino and have a Philippines passport, but I was born in South Africa (as my parents were working there when I was born) and then we moved back to Philippines when I was 10.

Since they've mentioned "this includes your country of birth", do I need to mention two countries as follows?

Country or territoryStatusDate obtained/effectiveIf your status is no longer valid... or indicate current
South AfricaCountry of birth1989/071999/02
PhilippinesCitizen1989/07Current

Thank you in advance for your kind help and advice - God bless you all

Gemini020

Oct 11, 2015
Yes you'll have to include south africa but specify what your status was. My parents don't remember my status but on the online version it includes foreign national so i selected that and wrote a letter of explanation for question 13

Reactions: indigonation5

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
I am in a somewhat similar situation. I am American and have only a US passport, but I was born outside the US but lived in the US since I was about a year old until I immigrated to Canada 3 years ago. I was naturalized as a US citizen when I was still a child and do have the date. However, I was a green card holder (permanent resident) for I'm not sure how many years before that. I see that question 13 includes any permanent resident statuses you have ever had, so my US permanent resident status would be from some time in my young childhood to when I acquired US citizenship. Do I need to include US permanent resident status in question 13, and if so, what would I put for the start date as I do not know?

Also, my country of birth does not allow dual citizenship but makes an exception for children who acquire a second citizenship, until they reach a certain age in adulthood, then they lose the citizenship if they don't renounce the second citizenship. So I lost my citizenship of birth and will put the day I reached the specified age of majority for my country of birth. But I don't have any formal documentation of losing the citizenship. I only just kept my US citizenship and never renewed the passport of my country of birth. Is it okay that I don't have any formal documentation of losing my citizenship at birth?

MericaEh

May 19, 2021
I am in a somewhat similar situation. I am American and have only a US passport, but I was born outside the US but lived in the US since I was about a year old until I immigrated to Canada 3 years ago. I was naturalized as a US citizen when I was still a child and do have the date. However, I was a green card holder (permanent resident) for I'm not sure how many years before that. I see that question 13 includes any permanent resident statuses you have ever had, so my US permanent resident status would be from some time in my young childhood to when I acquired US citizenship. Do I need to include US permanent resident status in question 13, and if so, what would I put for the start date as I do not know?

Also, my country of birth does not allow dual citizenship but makes an exception for children who acquire a second citizenship, until they reach a certain age in adulthood, then they lose the citizenship if they don't renounce the second citizenship. So I lost my citizenship of birth and will put the day I reached the specified age of majority for my country of birth. But I don't have any formal documentation of losing the citizenship. I only just kept my US citizenship and never renewed the passport of my country of birth. Is it okay that I don't have any formal documentation of losing my citizenship at birth?
Interesting question. I was born in the US so I used my d.o.b as the date obtained. I think that stating your green card status is irrelevant since you've become a citizen - not entirely sure though. Hopefully someone in a similar situation can shed some light on this. Good luck!

Dec 4, 2020
Interesting question. I was born in the US so I used my d.o.b as the date obtained. I think that stating your green card status is irrelevant since you've become a citizen - not entirely sure though. Hopefully someone in a similar situation can shed some light on this. Good luck!
I would mention everything including country of birth, Permanent statuses held, citizenships held etc, etc. You might think it's not important and most likely may not even come up during processing but if somehow it does, it will constitute misrepresentation and could land you in greater trouble.
Also, for OP to have travelled to US(even as a minor) some kind of travel document would have been required even if they were claiming asylum so dig deeper to find out what could be gathered before applying.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Update: I just called IRCC earlier this afternoon (1-888-242-2100). The rep said that I only have to put my US citizenship and no need to put that I had US PR before that.

Since there has been speculation in other threads and sites that visitor visas might need to be listed, and Visitor is an option in the dropdown of the online application, I also took the chance to ask if it is required to put visitor visas and the rep said no. The rep pretty much said that they really just care about our other citizenships.

Note for anyone else who needs to call IRCC: be prepared to wait and make sure you have a good connection to not get cut off. You have to listen to some long blurbs about going to their website, COVID-19 delays, applying for PR as an essential worker already working in Canada, etc. then you have the option to enter your UCI number, then you are finally presented with the menu options - 3 for general information/FAQ, 4 for citizenship, 1 for information about applying for citizenship, then 0 after the message to get in line to speak to a rep. Except the first few times I called, it said that they are experiencing exceptionally high call volume and I could hang up and call back later.

Finally after a few tries, I got into the queue and was told it would be about a 35 minute wait. The wait ended up being almost an hour, but finally I got a rep.

They do tell you that you can press 1 to request a callback to a Canadian number, and I did choose that option in one of the call sessions but also chose to hold the line in another. Thank goodness I did, because when I received the callback, my phone just rang once and cut off and they didn't call back again.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram
Dec 4, 2020
Update: I just called IRCC earlier this afternoon (1-888-242-2100). The rep said that I only have to put my US citizenship and no need to put that I had US PR before that.

Since there has been speculation in other threads and sites that visitor visas might need to be listed, and Visitor is an option in the dropdown of the online application, I also took the chance to ask if it is required to put visitor visas and the rep said no. The rep pretty much said that they really just care about our other citizenships.

Note for anyone else who needs to call IRCC: be prepared to wait and make sure you have a good connection to not get cut off. You have to listen to some long blurbs about going to their website, COVID-19 delays, applying for PR as an essential worker already working in Canada, etc. then you have the option to enter your UCI number, then you are finally presented with the menu options - 3 for general information/FAQ, 4 for citizenship, 1 for information about applying for citizenship, then 0 after the message to get in line to speak to a rep. Except the first few times I called, it said that they are experiencing exceptionally high call volume and I could hang up and call back later.

Finally after a few tries, I got into the queue and was told it would be about a 35 minute wait. The wait ended up being almost an hour, but finally I got a rep.

They do tell you that you can press 1 to request a callback to a Canadian number, and I did choose that option in one of the call sessions but also chose to hold the line in another. Thank goodness I did, because when I received the callback, my phone just rang once and cut off and they didn't call back again.
The contact center agents are full of it. I bet if you called again and spoke with a different person, they will give you a different answer.

This is the official information provided by CIC and I want to believe deviating from it may constitute misrepresentation. It's MY personal understanding tho and like I said they might not even notice but I would personally not chance it. I was born in the states but I also held European citizenship and had to fill everything each time I applied .

Question 13.
Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada (e.g. your country of birth)

• Check either yes or no.
  • If you check yes, complete the chart.
  • Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold (student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen).
  • Date you obtained each status(YYYY-MM-DD)
  • End date if no longer valid, if applicable (YYYY-MM-DD). Leave blank if you currently hold this status
Heres the source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4