Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 22 2010
Med's Done....
april - 08 - 10
hello,

among the documents needed is : statutory declaration of individuals with personal knowledge that your is genuine. deos that mean just get plain letters from our friends stating that they know about our relationship etc or get them signed from a notary ?

thank you

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lessen said:
hello,

among the documents needed is : statutory declaration of individuals with personal knowledge that your is genuine. deos that mean just get plain letters from our friends stating that they know about our relationship etc or get them signed from a notary ?

thank you
Hi,

The Immigration Act (IRPA) requires TWO sworn declarations for each applicant who doesn’t have identity documents. One from the applicant herself or himself — the client. The second EITHER from someone who knew the applicant before coming to Canada OR from a credible organization that can swear to the applicant’s identity.

review the link for details:

http://www.cpj.ca/en/establishing-identity-statutory-declarations

fibud

Star Member
Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
Med's Done....
18-12-09
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03-06-10
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-10
LANDED..........
23-06-10
letters from friends and/or family should be originals and signed by the person but they do not require a notary's signature.

i know statutory declaration makes you think otherwise - but i know several applicants, including myself who just submitted signed letters from 3-5 friends/family - no notary signature.

lessen

Jul 24, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 22 2010
Med's Done....
april - 08 - 10
fibud said:
letters from friends and/or family should be originals and signed by the person but they do not require a notary's signature.

i know statutory declaration makes you think otherwise - but i know several applicants, including myself who just submitted signed letters from 3-5 friends/family - no notary signature.
thank you very much :) i feel ashamed coming up everyday with a new question . we are gathering all the documents and dont want to leave anything by chance . thx guys

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
wilson said:
The Immigration Act (IRPA) requires TWO sworn declarations for each applicant who doesn't have identity documents....
That's for a refugee who doesn't have a passport or other ID. I expect that the original poster of this thread has ID. If you do get it certified by a third party, it can be a commissioner of oaths. It doesn't have to be a notary. I've seen various people here say that they succeeded without statdecs, but the guide does ask for them. Various people here have also said that they sent mostly emails (no signatures). Still, I would go for original signatures if you can.

In any case, make sure a letters of support, etc., have the writer's address and phone number, in case they need to be verified.

silverbee

Star Member
May 22, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo --> NYC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 15, 2010
File Transfer...
August 15, 2010
Passport Req..
November 9, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010
Statutory Declaration means it HAS to be notarized by a notary public or a lawyer.

I know the application says that it requires two, but how many do people typically send?

Apart from the TWO notarized ones, are extra letters from friends and family okay if they are in an email format?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You need two statutory declarations about your relationship - these should be notarized, by a notary public or a lawyer. Some people have said they got accepted without them being notarized, but they are supposed to be notarized, so why risk it.
However, this is necessary only for the common-law and conjugal partner class - if you're married, you don't need statutory declarations.

Get the two statutory declarations - notarized. Then you can include other letters supporting your relationship. These other letters don't have to be notarized. They can just be letters or emails. The writer should include his/her full name, address, telephone number and email. The visa officer is unlikely to contact them.

Keep in mind affidavits or notarized documents are better (as proof) than a simple letter or email, but letters and emails will be accepted. If you want to get all the letters notarized, that's up to you.

If you have a lot of proof your relationship is genuine, you don't need as many letters of support. If you have little proof, you need more of these letters. I sent in two affidavits from my husband's friends attesting that they mete me in 2001 - the beginning of our relationship, of which we have very little evidence. I then got 4 more affidavits from friends stating that they believe our relationship is genuine. I also have two emails from people saying the same thing. Is this enough? I'll let you know July 6th.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
You can go to a "commissioner of oaths" which may well be cheaper than a lawyer or notary too.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I had two statutory declarations one from my brother in the US (I sent him a draft via email which he could amend if he wanted. Then he printed it and signed it in front of the notary at work) and the other was a letter from his best friend in Canada. I also sent a letter to friends and family via email asking them to write letters on our behalf. We submitted 10 or so un-notarized emails as well (one of my friends included pictures!! in his).

I'd be happy to share the letter I wrote because it is sometimes difficult to explain what they are supposed to say.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes, please post it. Any examples would be helpful.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Here is the letter I wrote to friends and family asking for letters of support...

Dear Friends and Family,

As you know I am seeking Permanent Residence status in Ontario, Canada through the Family Class immigration category. I am technically called a "Conjugal Partner" (nice and descriptive, isn't it?) and XXXX is my Sponsor. As part of the immigration application we are required to provide evidence that we are indeed a genuine couple. This includes written correspondence, passport stamps from visits to see each other, plane ticket stubs, photos, etc. We are also required to document the history of our relationship (which was kind of a fun exercise).

An important part of this evidence of genuine coupledom/coupleship, whatever you want to call it, is documentation from family and friends. My brother and his wife have agreed to make sworn testimony on our behalf, but from reading Canadian immigration blogs it appears that the more documentary evidence we can provide from external sources the more likely our application will be approved swiftly, or at least not denied on this basis.

So I am writing today to ask if you would write an email on our behalf and send it to me (or XXXX, if you prefer) by Friday. I realize this request is somewhat vague as to the content of the email, so I've included a list of basic points to cover at the bottom of this message. You are certainly welcome to write more, or less...whatever you are comfortable with putting in writing to support our Family Class application.

For those of you who respond, please accept my heartfelt gratitude for your timely assistance in this matter. For those who chose not to respond for any reason, please know that I accept your decision with much grace and goodwill.

Kindest regards,
Allison

General information to consider including in your message (this can be written in French or in English, by the way)...

1. A description of how you know either one of us (typically the person you knew first)...examples
I am a friend of XXX, I was a co-worker of XXX, I am the sister of XXX, etc

2. A description of how you became aware of our relationship, when you met the other partner, activities we participated in together, etc

3. A statement to the effect that, in your judgement, we are in a real, loving, ongoing, genuine (you choose the words) relationship based on your personal knowledge and experiences

silverbee

Star Member
May 22, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo --> NYC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 15, 2010
File Transfer...
August 15, 2010
Passport Req..
November 9, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010
Thank you! That's very helpful.

ASalama

Jul 9, 2012
AllisonVSC said:
I had two statutory declarations one from my brother in the US (I sent him a draft via email which he could amend if he wanted. Then he printed it and signed it in front of the notary at work) and the other was a letter from his best friend in Canada. I also sent a letter to friends and family via email asking them to write letters on our behalf. We submitted 10 or so un-notarized emails as well (one of my friends included pictures!! in his).

I'd be happy to share the letter I wrote because it is sometimes difficult to explain what they are supposed to say.

can you please share these with me i am gathering docs for a conjugal for my boyfriend my email is amirasalama@rocketmail.com