+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pwd and sponsorship

clairemynx

Nov 24, 2019
ive read you can sponsor a common law or marriage partner while on disability (pwd) and with no income at all. my question is what happens to disability status if i sponsor. do i loose it if i marry or become common law? or does that only happen once they get a working income?

can i sponsor a partner if they live outside canada or can you only sponsor if living together? he wants to continue working if he can but it looks like a work permit is unlikely as he works a basic job for walmart

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
ive read you can sponsor a common law or marriage partner while on disability (pwd) and with no income at all. my question is what happens to disability status if i sponsor. do i loose it if i marry or become common law? or does that only happen once they get a working income?

can i sponsor a partner if they live outside canada or can you only sponsor if living together? he wants to continue working if he can but it looks like a work permit is unlikely as he works a basic job for walmart
You can try to sponsor a spouse or common law partner if on disability but it is not guaranteed. You will have to show that you can support yourselves without government help. Yes you can still receive disability if you get married. There may be changes to the amount of overall benefits you receive from the government when you get married or have a common law partner. You will have to investigate your individual circumstance. Have you lived together for a year? If not you would have to get married to sponsor him. One option would be to try to sponsor him while he continues to live in the US. The other option is for him to come to Canada and apply for inland sponsorship with an open work permit. He would get the work permit it around 4 months. Sponsorship and marriage comes with quite a lot of financial responsibility and there are expenses that come with filing for sponsorship. It is a good idea to talk this over with friends and family and to do more investigation.

clairemynx

Nov 24, 2019
You can try to sponsor a spouse or common law partner if on disability but it is not guaranteed. You will have to show that you can support yourselves without government help. Yes you can still receive disability if you get married. There may be changes to the amount of overall benefits you receive from the government when you get married or have a common law partner. You will have to investigate your individual circumstance. Have you lived together for a year? If not you would have to get married to sponsor him. One option would be to try to sponsor him while he continues to live in the US. The other option is for him to come to Canada and apply for inland sponsorship with an open work permit. He would get the work permit it around 4 months. Sponsorship and marriage comes with quite a lot of financial responsibility and there are expenses that come with filing for sponsorship. It is a good idea to talk this over with friends and family and to do more investigation.
so its possible to sponsor if he stays in the US for now?

Last edited:

clairemynx

Nov 24, 2019
also to live with me for atleast one year he would need a work permit correct? since the maximum stay is six months for americans.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
also to live with me for atleast one year he would need a work permit correct? since the maximum stay is six months for americans.
No - he would not need a work permit. He would simply apply to extend his stay as a visitor by six months.