+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pursuing continuation of existing PR application from within Canada

anish_s

Jan 20, 2010
Hello everyone on this forum and a Happy New Year!
I was wondering if some of you can help me with some of my queries below. Let me first list out my situation below:

1. In 2019 wife applied for sponsorship of her parents for PR under PGP, who are residents in Costa Rica (Immigration office is Mexico city)
2. I was co-signer and sponsorship got approved as well as request was made for application from parents of my wife. Wife's mother primary applicant and father was dependent.
3. 2020 whereabouts, IRCC sent request for medical tests as well as biometrics and subsequently provided.
4. Also in 2021, since we are residents in QC, CSQ was also approved and provided.
5. Later we got request for other documents such as any military records etc for father, which we also furnished
6.After that no progress has been made.
7. Meanwhile in 2023 July, we were expecting a baby, so we invited the mother to visit us in Canada on a visitors visa which was granted (multiple entry long term visa valid for 10 years upto 180 days stay). We mentioned the pending PR application and that was acknowledged by visa issuing office. Mother visited Canada for 2 weeks and went back to Costa Rica.
8. Unfortunately, my wife's father passed away in October of 2023, leaving only the primary applicant (mother) as the sole survivor with no dependents in Costa Rica. She is currently living alone with no other relations around and her only family i.e. her daughter is a citizen of Canada and residing there permanently since 2014.

Since the mother already has a visa to visit Canada as a visitor, on humanitarian grounds is it possible for her to pursue her pending PR application from within Canada, while she resides with us as a temporary resident. We are very keen on having her living with us as a visitor for the remainder of the duration until PR is granted. We will obtain medical insurance while she resides temporarily with us.

Anyone else faced a similar situation and what was the outcome? Any suggestions/pointers will be greatly appreciated. If we were to go this route, will it adversely affect the granting of PR.
We have already reached out to the Mexico office and updated them of the situation and urged them to expedite the application on humanitarian grounds. I would also be willing to consult a lawyer if it helps our case.

Many Thanks in Advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was wondering if some of you can help me with some of my queries below. Let me first list out my situation below:

1. In 2019 wife applied for sponsorship of her parents for PR under PGP, who are residents in Costa Rica (Immigration office is Mexico city)
2. I was co-signer and sponsorship got approved as well as request was made for application from parents of my wife. Wife's mother primary applicant and father was dependent.
3. 2020 whereabouts, IRCC sent request for medical tests as well as biometrics and subsequently provided.
4. Also in 2021, since we are residents in QC, CSQ was also approved and provided.
5. Later we got request for other documents such as any military records etc for father, which we also furnished
7. Meanwhile in 2023 July, we were expecting a baby, so we invited the mother to visit us in Canada on a visitors visa which was granted (multiple entry long term visa valid for 10 years upto 180 days stay). We mentioned the pending PR application and that was acknowledged by visa issuing office. Mother visited Canada for 2 weeks and went back to Costa Rica.
8. Unfortunately, my wife's father passed away in October of 2023, leaving only the primary applicant (mother) as the sole survivor with no dependents in Costa Rica. She is currently living alone with no other relations around and her only family i.e. her daughter is a citizen of Canada and residing there permanently since 2014.

Since the mother already has a visa to visit Canada as a visitor, on humanitarian grounds is it possible for her to pursue her pending PR application from within Canada, while she resides with us as a temporary resident. We are very keen on having her living with us as a visitor for the remainder of the duration until PR is granted. We will obtain medical insurance while she resides temporarily with us.

Anyone else faced a similar situation and what was the outcome? Any suggestions/pointers will be greatly appreciated. If we were to go this route, will it adversely affect the granting of PR.
We have already reached out to the Mexico office and updated them of the situation and urged them to expedite the application on humanitarian grounds. I would also be willing to consult a lawyer if it helps our case.

Many Thanks in Advance
PGP applications are all Outland. So you can't switch to Inland since no inland process exists for this immigration stream. Once the PR visa is ready for stamping, that can be done from within Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Many Thanks in Advance
She’ll need to attempt to extend her stay like any other visitor. Until she has confirmed PR I would keep her home and her belongings in Costa Rica and come to Canada as a visitor. Once she has received PR she can move to Canada and no longer needs to keep ties to Costa Rica. Many parents are widows so as long as she is well enough to care for herself then I wouldn’t count on expedited processing.