+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Purpose of Visit for Spouse's work permit along with my student visa application.

vivekkumary

Apr 8, 2023
Hi,
I am applying for a student visa. I am also applying for an open work permit for my wife along with my application.
One of the required documents for her is a "Purpose of visit".
==================
You must submit proof that you are coming to Canada for a temporary visit.
Examples of what you can provide as proof:
A scanned copy of:

Your flight ticket departing Canada,
Your travel itinerary (e.g. places you will visit or stay, such as hotel booking),
Proof of a medical appointment.

=================
My course will end in April 2025, Do I need to buy a return ticket for my wife around that time? Is there a way to bypass this?
TIA

ElenaEagleEye

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
That's a tricky one.
They just want to make sure you both leave Canada by April 2025.
In the "Letter of explanation," you can provide sufficient information regarding your ties to your homeland (assets, future employment, family relations). Plus you will have to prove that both of you have enough funds for the duration of your study here in Canada.
I've seen some users advising people to buy refundable tickets, but I am not sure how feasible this is.
What I always recommend is to apply by yourself for a study permit, and then, even a few months later your partner to apply for a work permit.
A joint application is more scrutinized than a single application.

vivekkumary

Apr 8, 2023
That's a tricky one.
They just want to make sure you both leave Canada by April 2025.
In the "Letter of explanation," you can provide sufficient information regarding your ties to your homeland (assets, future employment, family relations). Plus you will have to prove that both of you have enough funds for the duration of your study here in Canada.
I've seen some users advising people to buy refundable tickets, but I am not sure how feasible this is.
What I always recommend is to apply by yourself for a study permit, and then, even a few months later your partner to apply for a work permit.
A joint application is more scrutinized than a single application.
Hi, I booked a ticket for my wife and downloaded it. Since I have a ticket to show for it. Can I go ahead and cancel it? Will they cross check the booking reference code to see if it is still valid? Any idea?

Thanks

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hi, I booked a ticket for my wife and downloaded it. Since I have a ticket to show for it. Can I go ahead and cancel it? Will they cross check the booking reference code to see if it is still valid? Any idea?

Thanks
While a return ticket is a popular choice, you need to substantiate her temporary stay strongly

It is not common to plan a return ticket for 2025 now. So I am not sure how meaningful it is

ElenaEagleEye

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019

Thanks
I know that some OWPs are granted only when the applicants arrive in Canada.
The approval you get online is rather conditional.
At the airport, the IRCC officer will go through your wife's application, and ask her additional questions, and only then she will be issued a permit.
I've done your strategy when I applied for a USA visa. But then again, this was a B1/B2 Visa, hence the hotel booking and the airline ticket were expected.
I would also be worried about the cross-check.
If they are going to issue your permits in your homeland then maybe it's worth the risk.
But if you are getting your permits on arrival, then, I would not take such a chance.