+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Public Policy Dependent Children Sponsoring

JohnJohn007

Dec 4, 2017
Any experience with the new Public Policy on Dependent Children? I have an application in with IRCC for my step daughter since October 30th and wondering if the processing is any faster as most if not all is already done, Medical, Police Check and Schedule A.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Any experience with the new Public Policy on Dependent Children? I have an application in with IRCC for my step daughter since October 30th and wondering if the processing is any faster as most if not all is already done, Medical, Police Check and Schedule A.
The public policy is not meant to decrease the sponsorship processing time. It was put in place to avoid H&C applications, which have extremely long processing times. Dependent child applications are generally processed faster than normal anyways.

To clarify, who has actually applied as the sponsor? Step-parents can't sponsor step-children; the biological parent must be the sponsor.

JohnJohn007

Dec 4, 2017
The public policy is not meant to decrease the sponsorship processing time. It was put in place to avoid H&C applications, which have extremely long processing times. Dependent child applications are generally processed faster than normal anyways.

To clarify, who has actually applied as the sponsor? Step-parents can't sponsor step-children; the biological parent must be the sponsor.
My wife who is the biological mother applied and I am the co-sponsor. We did that to show family unity and strength in finances. We qualified under the policy as my wife's application was in process on May 3rd/2017 and her daughter was listed on the additional family application and between 19-21.

JohnJohn007

Dec 4, 2017
I understand and thank you, however if the PR was only finished in October 2017 and at the time the daughter was listed as dependent, with everything done except approval, shouldn't progress quicker? I also understand that Mississauga are processing these applications and not sent outside? Am I correct in that statement?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I understand and thank you, however if the PR was only finished in October 2017 and at the time the daughter was listed as dependent, with everything done except approval, shouldn't progress quicker? I also understand that Mississauga are processing these applications and not sent outside? Am I correct in that statement?
It will treated as a brand new app.

Mississauga is holding on to some apps. Assuming the child is in her own country, you should expect that the app will likely be processed in that country's VO.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed it will be treated as a brand new application. Expect a processing time of around six months.

Reactions: JohnJohn007

JohnJohn007

Dec 4, 2017
Okay and I will hope that Mississauga is holding on ours than, as they told me it was already being processed, even though I still don't have an application #, but I have UCI.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's not bad if Mississauga does it, if it goes to Manila, who knows
Not sure I agree with that. IRCC does tend to try to process dependent child sponsorships within reasonable times. We generally see around the six month mark regardless of the VO.

JohnJohn007

Dec 4, 2017
That is awesome news, my wife has not seen her daughter in more than 6 years and honestly the waiting is tough on her. I can only hope we are one of the lucky ones that gets done fast.

JohnJohn007

Dec 4, 2017
Scylla, as you seem to know, if I have a letter from IRCC that states the application was already in process on Nov.17(received in CPC Miss, October 30th) and they have now applied the application to the public policy, am I safe to assume it will not be sent back incomplete? I did use the check list and paid my fees, I ask because we are working on a short window for our daughter turning 22 in late February 2018 and would feel better if I had an application number. I assume also that will come once the sponsor is approved as that was really our first contact on the spousal as well. Based on timelines we are coming up on the 40 days it said to access the sponsor, we should be seeing correspondence shortly? Would you concur?