+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD Urgent

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
hi guys

got myself into a bit of a pickle here, i landed and processed my copr in October. I have already been in Canada since February on a work permit. My PR card didnt come through the post and I have travelled back to England for the holidays.

Due to my own lack of understanding I presumed I would just travel back and then collect my PR on return not knowing I had to get a PRTD.

I have a flight next weekend which I will need to cancel back to Toronto and it seems my only hope is to fly to Buffalo, cross the border there with my CoPR and passport (which I did before) by land.

I drove across before as I hired a car, this time as hiring a car in Buffalo and dropping off in Toronto won't work. Can I get a taxi to drop my off by the border and walk across with my luggage?

Will this set any alarm bells off?

Then I plan to get a shuttle back from Niagra to Toronto or get to Hamilton and get the Go Bus

Thanks

Rob

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
hi guys

got myself into a bit of a pickle here, i landed and processed my copr in October. I have already been in Canada since February on a work permit. My PR card didnt come through the post and I have travelled back to England for the holidays.

Due to my own lack of understanding I presumed I would just travel back and then collect my PR on return not knowing I had to get a PRTD.

I have a flight next weekend which I will need to cancel back to Toronto and it seems my only hope is to fly to Buffalo, cross the border there with my CoPR and passport (which I did before) by land.

I drove across before as I hired a car, this time as hiring a car in Buffalo and dropping off in Toronto won't work. Can I get a taxi to drop my off by the border and walk across with my luggage?

Will this set any alarm bells off?

Then I plan to get a shuttle back from Niagra to Toronto or get to Hamilton and get the Go Bus

Thanks

Rob
I assume it will set off the alarm bells off as CoPR is valid for one time entry only.
If you have already entered Canada on that CoPR, you will not be allowed to enter on it again.

BTW, in your first time entry, you must have provided an address where your PR card will be shipped.
You can make some arrangement to get the PR card couriered to you and then enter Canada as a PR card holder.
Its better to either postpone your travel or arrange PRTD. I don't see any other way out of this situation.
Perhaps some seniors can put better light on this though.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
I assume it will set off the alarm bells off as CoPR is valid for one time entry only.
If you have already entered Canada on that CoPR, you will not be allowed to enter on it again.

BTW, in your first time entry, you must have provided an address where your PR card will be shipped.
You can make some arrangement to get the PR card couriered to you and then enter Canada as a PR card holder.
Its better to either postpone your travel or arrange PRTD. I don't see any other way out of this situation.
Perhaps some seniors can put better light on this though.
That is completely wrong.
You can use your CoPR and passport to cross Canada-US land borders as many times as you want. CoPR is not a one time document. Good luck!

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
If I get asked the question at the border "purpose of visit" - and I say travelling back to Canada, will they not question why i didnt fly directly back? If I then explain about the PR card etc will that not raise cause for concern for their point of view and reject letting me through?

pellow88

Jul 10, 2017
Hand over your passport and validated COPR when you cross via land and they'll handle you just like any other permanent resident.

Your PR card is proof of status, but not the status itself, and PRs cannot be denied entry to Canada.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
If I get asked the question at the border "purpose of visit" - and I say travelling back to Canada, will they not question why i didnt fly directly back? If I then explain about the PR card etc will that not raise cause for concern for their point of view and reject letting me through?
You don't get it. You are a Permanent Resident and your entitled to enter/leave Canada whenever you want (as long as you meet certain conditions such as residency obligations, etc. which are not an issue based on your case). So, it is very unlikely that you will be asked about "purpose of visit" or the reason why you didn't fly back to Canada. Also, as a Permanent Resident the officer can't deny your entry. I would suggest you to read more about your Rights and Obligations as a PR. Good Luck!

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
Sorry to be clear I meant when landing at Buffalo airport and I get asked purpose of visit to the US

If I say travelling home to Canada will that cause questions into why I didn't go direct?

Thanks everyone for help, I've booked the flights to the US so hopefully it will be smooth sailing just an entire day's worth of travel to look forward to

Varun7172

May 18, 2017
Sorry to be clear I meant when landing at Buffalo airport and I get asked purpose of visit to the US

If I say travelling home to Canada will that cause questions into why I didn't go direct?

Thanks everyone for help, I've booked the flights to the US so hopefully it will be smooth sailing just an entire day's worth of travel to look forward to
Hey

I a know this foam is quite a old my my case is similar to this. I am flight next week to India as i have my cousin is getting married but i have not receive my PR card yet. I was hoping if i fly to India and change my return flight to US and then cross border by land. Can you please advise did US boarder officer ask you something at the time of landing at us.

Will really appreciate your help.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hey

I a know this foam is quite a old my my case is similar to this. I am flight next week to India as i have my cousin is getting married but i have not receive my PR card yet. I was hoping if i fly to India and change my return flight to US and then cross border by land. Can you please advise did US boarder officer ask you something at the time of landing at us.

Will really appreciate your help.
You may need a valid US Visitor Visa in the first place (unless you are exempt). US border officer will be interested in your purpose of US Visit, which you should answer truthfully.

Varun7172

May 18, 2017
You may need a valid US Visitor Visa in the first place (unless you are exempt). US border officer will be interested in your purpose of US Visit, which you should answer truthfully.
i have B1/B2 US visa but just wondering if they will not create any issues on my arrival. I can see in the forum that someone already tried what i am trying to do so just womdering if everything went fine for him.