+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD Required?

Feb 24, 2016
Hello All
I received my PR stamping and COPR on Feb, 19th 2018. I have booked my travel to Toronto on 20th April 2018. First time I am travelling. Do I need to have PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document)? or PR Stamped Passport+COPR will be sufficient for first time travellers?
Somewhere I read PRTD is for those who landed in Canada, returned back to home country even before getting PR Card. Is it?

Thanks
-Eswar

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A PRTD is only applicable and applied for from outside the country for landed immigrants without a valid PR card in their possession when outside of Canada given they need a PR card or a PRTD to board a plane to return. It is for people who are already PRs which you are not until you complete your initial landing with your passport and COPR.

kulaiiii

Aug 21, 2018
A PRTD is only applicable and applied for from outside the country for landed immigrants without a valid PR card in their possession when outside of Canada given they need a PR card or a PRTD to board a plane to return. It is for people who are already PRs which you are not until you complete your initial landing with your passport and COPR.
Hi! may pls ask a question so my work will hold a team building event in Las Vegas for 3days. But it was too late when i realized that my PR card expires on the very same date of our flight. I tried sending an urgent renewal application of my PR to CIC but im in doubt that they will process it faster. I was wondering if I could apply for PRTD instead? And do i apply for PRTD while still here inside Canada?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi! may pls ask a question so my work will hold a team building event in Las Vegas for 3days. But it was too late when i realized that my PR card expires on the very same date of our flight. I tried sending an urgent renewal application of my PR to CIC but im in doubt that they will process it faster. I was wondering if I could apply for PRTD instead? And do i apply for PRTD while still here inside Canada?
A PRTD can only be applied for from outside Canada . Your chances of getting a PRTD on a 3 day trip are zero. Your only option would be to return via a land border either with your expired card or your COPR.