+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD question

Jeebs

Apr 21, 2022
I know you have to be outside Canada to apply for PRTD, but do you have to be in the country you're applying for one from? I want to travel to the US but I don't want to apply for PRTD from there and get stuck with a delay. I'm originally from the UK so could I theoretically leave Canada for the US for several weeks and apply for PRTD in the UK and then travel to the UK, send in my passport, and then come back when it's confirmed?

Sorry if the question is convoluted, in a tricky PR situation with a replacement card taking forever and am imminent need to travel to the US.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know you have to be outside Canada to apply for PRTD, but do you have to be in the country you're applying for one from? I want to travel to the US but I don't want to apply for PRTD from there and get stuck with a delay. I'm originally from the UK so could I theoretically leave Canada for the US for several weeks and apply for PRTD in the UK and then travel to the UK, send in my passport, and then come back when it's confirmed?

Sorry if the question is convoluted, in a tricky PR situation with a replacement card taking forever and am imminent need to travel to the US.
You need to submit your passport along with the PRTD application. So this won't work.

Howevever you don't need a PRTD to re-enter Canada from the US via a land border crossing (vs. flying). So I would go with that option if you don't want to get stuck waiting.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

If your travel is to the US, you will find it MUCH quicker and easier to simply fly to a border town and cross by private vehicle or by foot.

To put it more simply: you WILL need a PRTD to board a plane to Canada. You do NOT need one to cross by land border (if in private vehicle or by foot). If you have access to the USA, go to Niagara Falls or Buffalo and cross that way. (Or Washington state or Montreal area or wherever._)

Jeebs

Apr 21, 2022
If your travel is to the US, you will find it MUCH quicker and easier to simply fly to a border town and cross by private vehicle or by foot.

To put it more simply: you WILL need a PRTD to board a plane to Canada. You do NOT need one to cross by land border (if in private vehicle or by foot). If you have access to the USA, go to Niagara Falls or Buffalo and cross that way. (Or Washington state or Montreal area or wherever._)
Unfortunately the COPR was lost along with the PR card, so trying to get through a land border probably won't work from the research I've done.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Unfortunately the COPR was lost along with the PR card, so trying to get through a land border probably won't work from the research I've done.
Do you have any photocopies or pictures of either of them? Any at all?

In principle, your name passport date of birth etc should be enough - if you at least know the UCI#, that will almost certainly be enough to find you in the system. A copy of your PR card renewal application would also likely help a lot.

In addition: other supporting docs that show you live in Canada (health card, driving license, etc) will go a long way to convincing them that you clearly are resident in Canada. (The database should have your PR info)

So I really suggest you will likely be better off trying to do it this way compared to the PRTD.

kulb

Feb 11, 2018

So PR's can enter Canada by land border without a PR card if they can show their COPR? Do you have an official link for this? My mom became PR last week, wait time for first time PR card is months, and we wanna make a short trip by land to Buffalo. It would be helpful if she can return by showing her COPR.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So PR's can enter Canada by land border without a PR card if they can show their COPR? Do you have an official link for this? My mom became PR last week, wait time for first time PR card is months, and we wanna make a short trip by land to Buffalo. It would be helpful if she can return by showing her COPR.
You can read the link below (although COPR seems not mentioned there):

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#s1-1

Jeebs

Apr 21, 2022
I haven't got anything official to link to but I've been on so many reddit threads of people successfully getting in through the land border with their COPR. Should be fine to do it. Easy to find examples if you wanna look yourself.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Anyone who can identify themselves as a PR to the satisfaction of the border officer (at a port of entry) MUST be admitted.

PR card is the easiest way. COPR is a not-bad way. Photocopies of those are not as good but still a decent way- together with the main travel document like foreign passport - to establish you-are-you and you-are-PR.

But any way that lets them identify you in the system - name, birth date, UCI#, etc - should also work. Other supporting docs like mentioned above to show you reside in Canada - also good.

Obviously a risk to show up with nothing but (say) your foreign passport. But it is possible. Caveat, saying it's possible does not mean it's recommnded or the best way.

[Note: I'm not addressing here good will - if you annoy the CBSA officer and / or don't even have a reason for not having the proper docs, then it might not all go so well.]