+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD Processing time from USA

sam_ntfc88

Nov 1, 2017
Here is the situation. I am a British Citizen that was awarded residency on July 13th 2017, in Calgary. My application was submitted in Feb 2016 and I have worked in Canada for that period. Upon confirmation of my residency, my parents booked us flights to join them for a break in Florida in November.

13th July - PR Card Application Submitted
14th Sept - Letter requesting new photos
4th Oct - New Photos sent to CIC

So now I have travel booked by air, with no PR card. We are in Florida for 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone knows the processing times for the PRTD from either NY or LA. I would have to send my passport away and this would mean I wouldn't be able to travel at all until it is returned.

I know I have the option to wait and see if my card makes it in time and have it mailed to the US, Submit an PRTD application and hope it gets processed in the 2 weeks we are in the US or change flights back to a US border city and drive across.

Thanks for any help.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Here is the situation. I am a British Citizen that was awarded residency on July 13th 2017, in Calgary. My application was submitted in Feb 2016 and I have worked in Canada for that period. Upon confirmation of my residency, my parents booked us flights to join them for a break in Florida in November.

13th July - PR Card Application Submitted
14th Sept - Letter requesting new photos
4th Oct - New Photos sent to CIC

So now I have travel booked by air, with no PR card. We are in Florida for 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone knows the processing times for the PRTD from either NY or LA. I would have to send my passport away and this would mean I wouldn't be able to travel at all until it is returned.

I know I have the option to wait and see if my card makes it in time and have it mailed to the US, Submit an PRTD application and hope it gets processed in the 2 weeks we are in the US or change flights back to a US border city and drive across.

Thanks for any help.
Think about it like this: If the driving time from a us border airport to Calgary is shorter than the time it will take you to find the info about and apply for a PRTD, then if I were you I would simply drive. Saves you the stress and the risk of not getting your passport back in time.

Based on what I read before two weeks seems to be possible but it's not guaranteed to work.

alimzlm

Star Member
Jul 12, 2011
I think Mr Sam need to confirm whether he has Canadian driving license. Since he became a PR for more than two months, Canadian driving license is required to enter Canada by car.

R

rish888

I think Mr Sam need to confirm whether he has Canadian driving license. Since he became a PR for more than two months, Canadian driving license is required to enter Canada by car.
If he can drive a car in the States he can do so in Canada.

It is pretty much common sense that one needs to have a driver's license to drive in Canada. I'm sure the OP wasn't planning on driving without a license. Assuming he has an International License (or maybe being British he doesn't even need this, I'm not sure) he can drive in Canada with his home country license. There is no rule whatsoever that states a PR of more than 2 months needs a Canadian license. That is faulty information.

When someone resides in Canada for more than 6 months they need a Canadian license. This has to do with residency, not immigration status. The OP doesn't fall into this category.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

If he can drive a car in the States he can do so in Canada.

It is pretty much common sense that one needs to have a driver's license to drive in Canada. I'm sure the OP wasn't planning on driving without a license. Assuming he has an International License (or maybe being British he doesn't even need this, I'm not sure) he can drive in Canada with his home country license. There is no rule whatsoever that states a PR of more than 2 months needs a Canadian license. That is faulty information.

When someone resides in Canada for more than 6 months they need a Canadian license. This has to do with residency, not immigration status. The OP doesn't fall into this category.
1. Actually your information is faulty, for example PRs have 90 days to obtain a BC license same as Manitoba. Ontario it is 60 days.

R

rish888

Hi

1. Actually your information is faulty, for example PRs have 90 days to obtain a BC license same as Manitoba. Ontario it is 60 days.
My bad. I overlooked the fact that different provinces has different requirements.

Nonetheless, it is based on residency, not immigration status. So unless the OP has clocked in residency in Ontario he can drive with his foreign license. It has nothing to do with the date since when he became a PR.