+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD or TRV?

Thom_AB

Oct 27, 2018
Help... for our relative. Three people came to canada in November 2021 on an investment program. All members received their PR card in February 2022 except our cousin. March 2022, IRCC Sydney advised him to send new photos as the existing photos do not meet the requirements. Photo arrived in IRCC Sydney office the next day. 10 days have passed, still no word from IRCC Sydney, calling 1 888 242 2100 is hopeless. He has a B1/B2 Visa and arrangements have been made for a 3 week seminar with a US company starting this Thursday (non Canadian related business). Canadian Immigrant visa and COPR already expired in November. Reading about the PRTD, it does not seem that he would qualify https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html.

This business meeting has been deferred a few times already, so cancelling it again would be a big loss for his family. Does he qualify for a PRTD or a Temporary Resident Visa while in Canada?

Really appreciate all your help and recommendations.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Help... for our relative. Three people came to canada in November 2021 on an investment program. All members received their PR card in February 2022 except our cousin. March 2022, IRCC Sydney advised him to send new photos as the existing photos do not meet the requirements. Photo arrived in IRCC Sydney office the next day. 10 days have passed, still no word from IRCC Sydney, calling 1 888 242 2100 is hopeless. He has a B1/B2 Visa and arrangements have been made for a 3 week seminar with a US company starting this Thursday (non Canadian related business). Canadian Immigrant visa and COPR already expired in November. Reading about the PRTD, it does not seem that he would qualify https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html.

This business meeting has been deferred a few times already, so cancelling it again would be a big loss for his family. Does he qualify for a PRTD or a Temporary Resident Visa while in Canada?

Really appreciate all your help and recommendations.
He does not qualify for a TRV since he is a PR.

He can only apply for a PRTD while outside of Canada. He cannot apply for one from inside of Canada.

What passport does he hold? Will he be driving or flying? If he's driving, then he can use his COPR to re-enter Canada.

Thom_AB

Oct 27, 2018
He does not qualify for a TRV since he is a PR.

He can only apply for a PRTD while outside of Canada. He cannot apply for one from inside of Canada.

What passport does he hold? Will he be driving or flying? If he's driving, then he can use his COPR to re-enter Canada.
Thanks so much Scylla. He has a Laotian passport with an expired Canadian Immigrant Visa. We will apply for the PRTD as recommended when he is in the USA. Friend can drive him back from Seattle to the Peace Arch Border Crossing. We are now looking for help how to get to the Vancouver airport from this point. Any ideas?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks so much Scylla. He has a Laotian passport with an expired Canadian Immigrant Visa. We will apply for the PRTD as recommended when he is in the USA. Friend can drive him back from Seattle to the Peace Arch Border Crossing. We are now looking for help how to get to the Vancouver airport from this point. Any ideas?
Uber or taxi from the Canadian side of the border to the Vancouver airport.

Reactions: Thom_AB

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He doesn't need the PRTD if he is going to cross by land in a private vehicle. The COPR is enough.

Reactions: YVR123

Thom_AB

Oct 27, 2018
The last option is to cross by land via Vancouver then flies home in Nova Scotia. How long does it take for a PRTD? some threads stating 18 business days is the quickest but there are always delays.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The last option is to cross by land via Vancouver then flies home in Nova Scotia. How long does it take for a PRTD? some threads stating 18 business days is the quickest but there are always delays.
I don't know how long it will take to get the PRTD.

Kiw_Lemon

Apr 2, 2020
Hello,
I have lost my prcard and applied for prtd, I am travelling to Vancouver from India via Frankfurt. As i dont have a valid pr card, Do i need to apply for trasit visa for a layover of 4 hour?
appreciate the information. Thank you!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
I have lost my prcard and applied for prtd, I am travelling to Vancouver from India via Frankfurt. As i dont have a valid pr card, Do i need to apply for trasit visa for a layover of 4 hour?
appreciate the information. Thank you!
Transit visa for Germany? Why not via USA and go to a land border (such as Pacific border crossing by foot)? You don't need PRTD by foot.

Kiw_Lemon

Apr 2, 2020
Transit visa for Germany? Why not via USA and go to a land border (such as Pacific border crossing by foot)? You don't need PRTD by foot.
Ok thank you. I really am unsure as in airline information page it say if you have only a valid pr card you don't need transit visa. I am unsure as prtd is not equal valid pr card? I don't have anyone to get info to be sure of my booking. Appreciate if you help instead of being mean.

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok thank you. I really am unsure as in airline information page it say if you have only a valid pr card you don't need transit visa. I am unsure as prtd is not equal valid pr card? I don't have anyone to get info to be sure of my booking. Appreciate if you help instead of being mean.
A valid PRTD carries the same weight as a valid PR Card.

A PRTD is a Permanent Resident Travel Document, which is what a valid PR Card is as well.

Reactions: Kiw_Lemon

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't be cheeky. The person is referring to this:
https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/visa-service/buergerservice/faq/33-transit/606710

I'm planning a trip by air and have to transit at a German airport. Do I need a visa?

The vast majority of foreign travellers benefit from the “transit privilege” - if during a stopover at a German airport, you do not leave the International Airport Area and if the destination is not in a Schengen country, you do not need a transit visa.
However, if for some reason you need to enter the Schengen area during your stopover (for example to change terminals or if the destination is in a Schengen country), you may require a visa; please plan for this. You should apply for a visa well before you travel!

Only five airports in Germany have an International Transit Area enabling you to transit without formally entering the Schengen area:

• Frankfurt/Main
@Kiw_Lemon does not need a transit visa for their layover in Frankfurt.

Reactions: Kiw_Lemon

Kiw_Lemon

Apr 2, 2020
https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/visa-service/buergerservice/faq/33-transit/606710

I'm planning a trip by air and have to transit at a German airport. Do I need a visa?

The vast majority of foreign travellers benefit from the “transit privilege” - if during a stopover at a German airport, you do not leave the International Airport Area and if the destination is not in a Schengen country, you do not need a transit visa.
However, if for some reason you need to enter the Schengen area during your stopover (for example to change terminals or if the destination is in a Schengen country), you may require a visa; please plan for this. You should apply for a visa well before you travel!

Only five airports in Germany have an International Transit Area enabling you to transit without formally entering the Schengen area:

• Frankfurt/Main
Thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

• Frankfurt/Main
But @Kiw_Lemon cannot stopover in Germany without PRTD.