+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD from inside Canada

splat_plume

Star Member
Jan 13, 2021
Hey folks,

Has anyone tried submitting a PRTD application from inside Canada? Basically courrier all the documents to the vfs office in your passport country? Any issues with that? Is it too cheeky?

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hey folks,

Has anyone tried submitting a PRTD application from inside Canada? Basically courrier all the documents to the vfs office in your passport country? Any issues with that? Is it too cheeky?

Thanks!
If by 'cheeky' you mean contrary to the instructions and likely to get denied if IRCC suspects or determines you are out of the country, yes, it's cheeky.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

Who should not apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document?
Permanent residents in Canada

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey folks,

Thanks!
You must have left Canada to qualify for a PRTD. The postage alone could tip off that you are not in Canada. Are you going to lie when explaining how long have you been outside Canad?

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
Hi! I am just posting on here to share my experience regarding applying for an urgent PRTD from INSIDE CANADA since it was mentioned. I submitted my application online. In the beginning of the application I chose I am "outside Canada" option to access the PRTD application, otherwise it would give me the PR renewal application (which I already have pending). Before submitting my application, under Consent and Declaration, it asks again have you left Canada or still in Canada? I clicked "inside Canada" and then proceeded to submit my application.

I submitted my application on: Feb 7, 2023

Passport Request: Feb 10, 2023

I am travelling in 2 weeks so I will be sending my passport to the nearest VAC as soon as I reach my destination. They have given me 30 days to submit my passport in the letter.

I have been told that this is misrepresentation and that I may have my PRTD denied/refused so I will update you guys if that happens. I don't mean to misinform anyone but I will let you know what happens as I move along with the process.

Reactions: caloca and armoured

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi! I am just posting on here to share my experience regarding applying for an urgent PRTD from INSIDE CANADA since it was mentioned. I submitted my application online. In the beginning of the application I chose I am "outside Canada" option to access the PRTD application, otherwise it would give me the PR renewal application (which I already have pending). Before submitting my application, under Consent and Declaration, it asks again have you left Canada or still in Canada? I clicked "inside Canada" and then proceeded to submit my application.

I am travelling in 2 weeks so I will be sending my passport to the nearest VAC as soon as I reach my destination. They have given me 30 days to submit my passport in the letter.

I have been told that this is misrepresentation and that I may have my PRTD denied/refused so I will update you guys if that happens. I don't mean to misinform anyone but I will let you know what happens as I move along with the process.
Not a lot of hard thought necessary to recognize it is NOT a good idea to make a representation of fact that is NOT true in an application to IRCC.

And that is so regardless of how it goes in any particular instance. Not for me to characterize the best case scenario outcome (PR TD issued) as "that-works" or "got-away-with-it," but either way that does not change the fundamental wisdom that it is NOT a good idea to make a representation of fact that is NOT true in an application to IRCC.

In other words, regardless how this goes, suggesting it is an OK approach for others to follow is NOT OK. In particular, if it works out, asserting that doing similarly WILL WORK is an unfounded promise. Suggesting that doing similarly MIGHT also work for someone else is not making a false promise, but anyone else considering doing similarly should understand it MIGHT NOT work the next time.

Disclaimer: yeah, I've fudged a thing or three along the way, which is as much of a confession I'll make; so I get the whole got-to-do what you-got-to-do approach to making hard decisions. Real life. But make no mistake: colouring inside the lines is the safe approach. Otherwise, best to know just what is at stake if and when deciding to colour outside the lines.

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
Not a lot of hard thought necessary to recognize it is NOT a good idea to make a representation of fact that is NOT true in an application to IRCC.

And that is so regardless of how it goes in any particular instance. Not for me to characterize the best case scenario outcome (PR TD issued) as "that-works" or "got-away-with-it," but either way that does not change the fundamental wisdom that it is NOT a good idea to make a representation of fact that is NOT true in an application to IRCC.

In other words, regardless how this goes, suggesting it is an OK approach for others to follow is NOT OK. In particular, if it works out, asserting that doing similarly WILL WORK is an unfounded promise. Suggesting that doing similarly MIGHT also work for someone else is not making a false promise, but anyone else considering doing similarly should understand it MIGHT NOT work the next time.

Disclaimer: yeah, I've fudged a thing or three along the way, which is as much of a confession I'll make; so I get the whole got-to-do what you-got-to-do approach to making hard decisions. Real life. But make no mistake: colouring inside the lines is the safe approach. Otherwise, best to know just what is at stake if and when deciding to colour outside the lines.
-I am not trying to misinform anyone. I am also not encouraging anyone this is OK to do or to follow my lead. I am just sharing my application experience.

-PRTD should only be applied outside Canada. My case was probably reviewed as a case-to-case basis by IRCC BUT I am not claiming that I will be approved. The only FALSE info i did in my app was to say I am outside Canada to access the PRTD application as mentioned by my previous post.

-A few things I added on my application to prove my urgent request (other than the required documents like passport, ID, etc):
•My flight details. (Flight itinerary attached)
•Serious illness of a family member (medical notes).
•An explanation letter (again mentioning my travel dates & the need for urgency)
•On the application form, I provided my out-of-country address.

-Other facts:
•I have a pending application for a PR card renewal which might not make it in time for my flight. (also mentioned in the explanation letter)
•I have my baby travelling with me. (who is a Canadian citizen)
•On the application itself, I declared that I have not left Canada in the past 5 years. (Residency obligation proof like T4 and NOA, passport pages provided in app)
•On the declaration and consent form, I declared I am still IN CANADA. (There is a check box. If you choose outside Canada, it will let you go back to the Residency Obligation section on your application to reflect dates when you left the country, which I already ticked the option that I have not been outside Canada in the past 5 years.)

Again, I am not claiming this is the right thing to do. I explained in my letter and application the full truth of my situation. I fully accept that I misrepresented being outside Canada to have access to the PRTD form but I attached all proof and explanation that I am still IN Canada. It is not my intention to lie or fool IRCC nor to cheat the system. I just asked for consideration for my case. I apologize if I offended anyone. I do not want to give others false hope. Please delete my post if it's not allowed. Again, I will update you guys what happens as I move along with the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: sahibo

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Again, I am not claiming this is the right thing to do. I explained in my letter and application the full truth of my situation. I fully accept that I misrepresented being outside Canada to have access to the PRTD form but I attached all proof and explanation that I am still IN Canada. It is not my intention to lie or fool IRCC. I just asked for consideration for my case. I apologize if I offended anyone. Please delete my post if it's not allowed. Again, I will update you guys what happens as I move along with the process.
If this works for you, it works.

Speaking for myself, I am not offended. See my (somewhat, rather limited) confession. And I am well aware of the difficulties dealing with bureaucracies that want everything to fit neatly into precise boxes when in real life things are not so clear cut. I am well acquainted with having to make hard decisions.

My post was to make it clear, rationalizing and excuses aside, it is NOT a good idea, when declaring information to IRCC or CBSA, to make a representation of fact that is not true. And to emphasize this. Understanding many will fudge this or that (less than honest information about the address where they reside is perhaps the most common example in this forum, and is so common few so much as twitch an eyebrow over doing it) and it will be OK in terms of what happens . . . but that it is so often OK in the outcome needs to be understood in context, with a big disclaimer, with a reminder that it is just plain NOT a good idea to make misrepresentations . . . and otherwise, for those compelled to do it, be aware of the risks.

It appears you have gone out of your way to thread the needle, so to say. And, as I have often noted, IRCC does not ordinarily play gotcha-games, so it's not as if I am forecasting a negative, let alone severe outcome. So I was not second-guessing YOUR choice here.

But no matter how well this works, for you, this time, that does not diminish the wisdom in cautioning that it is NOT a good idea to make a representation of fact that is NOT true in an application to IRCC.

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
If this works for you, it works.

Speaking for myself, I am not offended. See my (somewhat, rather limited) confession. And I am well aware of the difficulties dealing with bureaucracies that want everything to fit neatly into precise boxes when in real life things are not so clear cut. I am well acquainted with having to make hard decisions.

My post was to make it clear, rationalizing and excuses aside, it is NOT a good idea, when declaring information to IRCC or CBSA, to make a representation of fact that is not true. And to emphasize this. Understanding many will fudge this or that (less than honest information about the address where they reside is perhaps the most common example in this forum, and is so common few so much as twitch an eyebrow over doing it) and it will be OK in terms of what happens . . . but that it is so often OK in the outcome needs to be understood in context, with a big disclaimer, with a reminder that it is just plain NOT a good idea to make misrepresentations . . . and otherwise, for those compelled to do it, be aware of the risks.

It appears you have gone out of your way to thread the needle, so to say. And, as I have often noted, IRCC does not ordinarily play gotcha-games, so it's not as if I am forecasting a negative, let alone severe outcome. So I was not second-guessing YOUR choice here.

But no matter how well this works, for you, this time, that does not diminish the wisdom in cautioning that it is NOT a good idea to make a representation of fact that is NOT true in an application to IRCC.
I 100% agree with you. It is clear anywhere on the CIC website that PRTD should only be applied outside Canada. I made this decision knowing the full risk of a rejection. Nevertheless, I disclosed on my application the full extent and truth of my situation and asked for a consideration which I am hoping would be the outcome. If this were to be an application under a regualar circumstance, It would have been an automatic NO. So yeah, I'll let you guys know what happens.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I wonder if IRCC will be able to see that you are NOT outside of Canada?

The Customs Act allows the CBSA to collect entry and exit data on all travellers for all modes of travel, excluding marine and rail exits. Under the IRCC–CBSA memorandum of understanding (MOU), information sharing between both departments for the administration and enforcement of IRPA is considered consistent use, as per paragraph 8(2)(a) of the Privacy Act. Client consent is not required in order to query traveller entry and exit information.
[This means that even if a PR holder declares that they are NOT in Canada, the travel history is still available to IRCC, if they want it]

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
I wonder if IRCC will be able to see that you are NOT outside of Canada?

The Customs Act allows the CBSA to collect entry and exit data on all travellers for all modes of travel, excluding marine and rail exits. Under the IRCC–CBSA memorandum of understanding (MOU), information sharing between both departments for the administration and enforcement of IRPA is considered consistent use, as per paragraph 8(2)(a) of the Privacy Act. Client consent is not required in order to query traveller entry and exit information.
[This means that even if a PR holder declares that they are NOT in Canada, the travel history is still available to IRCC, if they want it]
I wondered this as well. On the official application IMM5444 form (residency obligation section) and Declaration and consent where you put your signature I did tick off I am in Canada and have not left in the last 5 years. The only information that I am outside Canada is on the questionnaire to open the application online. I did submit my passport page so they would be able to see that I have stamps leaving Canada that weren't on the original documents I sent them. So yeah, it will be interesting how it unfolds.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nevertheless, I disclosed on my application the full extent and truth of my situation...
I wondered this as well. On the official application IMM5444 form (residency obligation section) and Declaration and consent where you put your signature I did tick off I am in Canada and have not left in the last 5 years. The only information that I am outside Canada is on the questionnaire to open the application online. I did submit my passport page so they would be able to see that I have stamps leaving Canada that weren't on the original documents I sent them. So yeah, it will be interesting how it unfolds.
Yikes! I hope it all works out for you!