+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD for US Citizen

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
Hello:
I am a Canada Permanent Resident along with my family. But, my wife and kids had to travel to India for a family emergency.
While my wife has her PR Card, my kids who are US citizens could not get PR cards processed in time for travel.

Few questions:
1. Can my kids fly into Canada directly along with my wife considering that they have their CoPR with them and have US Passport?
I am told by another person in similar situation that IRCC mentioned to them that US passport holders can travel without PRTD and his kid received a Canada visitor visa on arrival because they did not have the PR card with them.
2. I do not mind applying for CoPR but the timeline for processing could take longer with Covid and Afghanistan crisis in which case I would like to avoid if it is not needed.

Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello:
I am a Canada Permanent Resident along with my family. But, my wife and kids had to travel to India for a family emergency.
While my wife has her PR Card, my kids who are US citizens could not get PR cards processed in time for travel.

Few questions:
1. Can my kids fly into Canada directly along with my wife considering that they have their CoPR with them and have US Passport?
I am told by another person in similar situation that IRCC mentioned to them that US passport holders can travel without PRTD and his kid received a Canada visitor visa on arrival because they did not have the PR card with them.
2. I do not mind applying for CoPR but the timeline for processing could take longer with Covid and Afghanistan crisis in which case I would like to avoid if it is not needed.

Thanks in advance.
Are your children PRs?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you Canuck sir for your prompt response.

Yes, Children are PRs since they have landed using CoPR but they never resided in Canada yet.
How did you sponsor them if you haven’t been living in Canada or have you been living in Canada without your family during their sponsorship process?

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
How did you sponsor them if you haven’t been living in Canada or have you been living in Canada without your family during their sponsorship process?
We sponsored them, completed landing procedure and moved from States just before pandemic but kids were stuck in India with grand parents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We sponsored them, completed landing procedure and moved from States just before pandemic but kids were stuck in India with grand parents.
You shouldn’t have been able to sponsor your children if you were living in the US. You have to be living in Canada to sponsor your children as a PR. Someone has made an error. Your application requires you to specify the address where you are living in Canada during the sponsorship process. Did you include a Canadian address even though you were not living there during the whole sponsorship process?

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
I think we are having some miscommunication.

I applied to Canada through express entry program and included my family as dependents as part of the application process while I was in States. And that was what I was referring to by sponsorship.

We all landed successfully but the kids went to India with grand parents before pandemic started and we moved to Canada last year. We are looking to bring the kids back and we're wondering about the need to PRTD with them being US citizens

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Hello:

Few questions:

Thanks in advance.
1. Yes. As US citizens, your children don't need a PRTD to fly to fly to Canada. The COPR will be helpful in establishing their PR status when they arrive at the point of entry, but isn't needed when boarding the flight.

Reactions: canuck78

kansha

Mar 5, 2013
1. Yes. As US citizens, your children don't need a PRTD to fly to fly to Canada. The COPR will be helpful in establishing their PR status when they arrive at the point of entry, but isn't needed when boarding the flight.

Hi MidoRafa,

I'm been trying to verify that US citizens don't need a PRTD to fly into Canada when their PR card expired. Where do you see that reference? I know US citizen can drive into Canada from US without a PRTD but flying is not clear to me? Thanks in advance for your advice.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi MidoRafa,

I'm been trying to verify that US citizens don't need a PRTD to fly into Canada when their PR card expired. Where do you see that reference? I know US citizen can drive into Canada from US without a PRTD but flying is not clear to me? Thanks in advance for your advice.
I would honestly suggest: check with the airline. Get it in writing. Some of this is complicated by covid regs which have muddied the waters. With recent changes for US citizens (vaccinated or not) and what exemptions apply to children under 12 (which seems to depend on whom they are travelling with), it is not an easy answer.

If you want certainty, land border may be preferable.

kansha

Mar 5, 2013
I would honestly suggest: check with the airline. Get it in writing. Some of this is complicated by covid regs which have muddied the waters. With recent changes for US citizens (vaccinated or not) and what exemptions apply to children under 12 (which seems to depend on whom they are travelling with), it is not an easy answer.

If you want certainty, land border may be preferable.
I'll give the airline a call to confirm. Thanks

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
Airlines are more likely to suggest contacting IRCC and IRCC appears to be busy processing Afghan applications :)

Similar discussion which seem to indicate that it is recommended to have PRTD but not necessary for US citizens and their entry will not be blocked:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/confusion-re-prtd-with-a-us-passport.558517/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/prtd-for-us-citizen-pr-returning-to-canada-by-air.481947/

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Airlines are more likely to suggest contacting IRCC and IRCC appears to be busy processing Afghan applications :)
Maybe so but ultimately it comes down to what the airlines actually do. (They may try to pass off to ircc but that's actually a dumb response, it's Ministry of Transport and that is complicated....)

Similar discussion which seem to indicate that it is recommended to have PRTD but not necessary for US citizens and their entry will not be blocked:
My understanding is that in the past, PRTD would not be required for US citizens, but that during covid regs, many got caught up in a kind of catch 22 (PRs would be exempt, but you can't travel as a PR without a valid PR card or PRTD). This may have changed recently.

Hence my point: if unsure, land border is at least clear - no airline to interfere, and CBSA will let PRs in, PRTD or no.

Reactions: nvap23

kansha

Mar 5, 2013

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/confusion-re-prtd-with-a-us-passport.558517/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/prtd-for-us-citizen-pr-returning-to-canada-by-air.481947/
thank you, very helpful

Reactions: nvap23