+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD for re-entering Canada by private car?

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
January 14, 2017. Praise God!
Hi all,

I am planning to land in Canada in January. My plan is to get there and buy a car within the first couple of days. I would like to drive to the US to buy some stuff for my apartment and then drive back to Canada. I understand that the PR card will take around 6 weeks to arrive and I would like to go to the US before that. While reading up on the PRTD, I found that you need it if you will be return to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus. There is no mention there of returning to Canada by car. Does anyone know what the requirements are for that? Would it be sufficient with my PR visa and COPR (like for the initial landing)? My passport is from a visa-exempt country but I don't have an eTA (I received my PR Visa before my country became visa-exempt).

Please advise. Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
VictorCA said:
Hi all,

I am planning to land in Canada in January. My plan is to get there and buy a car within the first couple of days. I would like to drive to the US to buy some stuff for my apartment and then drive back to Canada. I understand that the PR card will take around 6 weeks to arrive and I would like to go to the US before that. While reading up on the PRTD, I found that you need it if you will be return to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus. There is no mention there of returning to Canada by car. Does anyone know what the requirements are for that? Would it be sufficient with my PR visa and COPR (like for the initial landing)? My passport is from a visa-exempt country but I don't have an eTA (I received my PR Visa before my country became visa-exempt).

Please advise. Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
A PRTD is not required for crossing the border. It is needed in order to be carried by commercial transportation. Therefore, a private vehicle does not require a PRTD but you are advised to carry your CoPR document to prove your PR status and identity. The eTA system does not apply to permanent residents or Canadian citizens.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Plus of course you will need either a US visa or if from a US visa waiver country to fill out an i94 form to enter the US.

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
January 14, 2017. Praise God!
zardoz said:
A PRTD is not required for crossing the border. It is needed in order to be carried by commercial transportation. Therefore, a private vehicle does not require a PRTD but you are advised to carry your CoPR document to prove your PR status and identity. The eTA system does not apply to permanent residents or Canadian citizens.
That's great news! Thank you for the info. Do you know if a copy of my CoPR would be sufficient, or should I carry the original one with me?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
VictorCA said:
That's great news! Thank you for the info. Do you know if a copy of my CoPR would be sufficient, or should I carry the original one with me?
While a copy would probably be sufficient, as all you need to do is confirm your identity to CBSA, the original would carry more weight that you are who you claim to be. It is not a travel document and will not be used as one.