+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD - Email Application Photo Requirements

Rad55

Nov 9, 2020
I’m a Canadian PR living in the US. I meet residency obligation as I am accompanying my Canadian citizen spouse. My PR card has recently expired and we have not been able to travel to Canada to renew yet. I’m applying for a PRTD via email as my VAC is closed but am confused on the photo requirements. For anyone who applied for a PRTD via email, help please!

1. The photo specification sheet on the application checklist wants photos to be taken by a commercial photographer with back side labeled with photographer address, address etc. Seems to be written as if I was mailing in - if emailing, do they really want a scan of a printed photo front and back or should I send a photo digital file and ignore the back?

2. What size? Same photo specification sheet in checklist lists 50 mm by 70 mm, but the VAC website lists 35 mm by 45 mm?

3. How did you receive your PRTD if you emailed the application and didn’t actually send in a passport? Do you get a letter instead?

Thank you!

Laiba.r

Jan 18, 2021
Hey I have the same question
I’m a Canadian PR living in the US. I meet residency obligation as I am accompanying my Canadian citizen spouse. My PR card has recently expired and we have not been able to travel to Canada to renew yet. I’m applying for a PRTD via email as my VAC is closed but am confused on the photo requirements. For anyone who applied for a PRTD via email, help please!

1. The photo specification sheet on the application checklist wants photos to be taken by a commercial photographer with back side labeled with photographer address, address etc. Seems to be written as if I was mailing in - if emailing, do they really want a scan of a printed photo front and back or should I send a photo digital file and ignore the back?

2. What size? Same photo specification sheet in checklist lists 50 mm by 70 mm, but the VAC website lists 35 mm by 45 mm?

3. How did you receive your PRTD if you emailed the application and didn’t actually send in a passport? Do you get a letter instead?

Thank you!
how did you take photographs?

Laiba.r

Jan 18, 2021
Do I have to indicate my name and photographer's address on the back of my photo as per the instruction and do I have to fix the photo on the application or can just send it as an attachment.
So I applied online and I did attach one photo on application and scan it, and also send one soft copy of the same pic. Yes you have to mention your name, date, stamp of the studio and your date of birth that’s all must on the back of the photo.

Shovik18

May 7, 2021
So I applied online and I did attach one photo on application and scan it, and also send one soft copy of the same pic. Yes you have to mention your name, date, stamp of the studio and your date of birth that’s all must on the back of the photo.
Thanks a lot for your reply. By the way how long does it take for a PRTD counterfoil to be issued?

Laiba.r

Jan 18, 2021
Thanks a lot for your reply. By the way how long does it take for a PRTD counterfoil to be issued?
So I applied in feb and got email couple of days ago that they need some other documents which I provided now let’s see when will I get the PRTD. Hope soon

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
I had them take a photo at Walgreens. Due to technical difficulties, they took the photo with my phone. I uploaded it to Passport or Visa Photo in 2 Seconds (visafoto.com) , and it returned with a 4x6 printable photo. Walgreens printed it and I used it.

The LA office was processing PRTDs, and they did two for me during COVID times. Took like a week and a half average.

The first time was funny, as I ended up coming back home during the week (when Trudeau was saying "come home now" and talking about restrictions).

The officer called me to verify residency, and was asking me questions about the area around my house, directions, etc. He was surprised that I knew my postal code (apparently a lot of people applying for PRTDs don't), and asked me nearby streets (that I don't know, because I don't know streets). I was able to give him turn-by-turn directions to Home Depot and around town, but it was all based on landmarks.

Finally, he asked me about my house, and he seemed to be using Google Maps. He asked me the color of my house, I told him, and he said I was wrong. I replied that I was standing in my yard looking at it, and he told me he was going to "pretend he didn't hear that". He made an exception because the PR cards were so slow, and issued me a PRTD anyway. It did, of course, have to be mailed to the States.

nehasaini0303

Jan 18, 2021
I had them take a photo at Walgreens. Due to technical difficulties, they took the photo with my phone. I uploaded it to Passport or Visa Photo in 2 Seconds (visafoto.com) , and it returned with a 4x6 printable photo. Walgreens printed it and I used it.

The LA office was processing PRTDs, and they did two for me during COVID times. Took like a week and a half average.

The first time was funny, as I ended up coming back home during the week (when Trudeau was saying "come home now" and talking about restrictions).

The officer called me to verify residency, and was asking me questions about the area around my house, directions, etc. He was surprised that I knew my postal code (apparently a lot of people applying for PRTDs don't), and asked me nearby streets (that I don't know, because I don't know streets). I was able to give him turn-by-turn directions to Home Depot and around town, but it was all based on landmarks.

Finally, he asked me about my house, and he seemed to be using Google Maps. He asked me the color of my house, I told him, and he said I was wrong. I replied that I was standing in my yard looking at it, and he told me he was going to "pretend he didn't hear that". He made an exception because the PR cards were so slow, and issued me a PRTD anyway. It did, of course, have to be mailed to the States.
Hello
I got my COPR in June 19, 2021 while I was in Canada. I am waiting for my PR card to come. I need to travel to India so I will be applying for PRTD. I don't need to prove residency obligation as I have enough time to complete 2 years in Canada but the documents that I will still attach (bank statements/ pay stub) doesn't have the house address aligned with residency timeline at 2 apartments. I moved to new apartment on 15 August 2021 but I got sick and couldn't update in bank for my address until October. So my bank statements has old apartment address on 3 bank statements. Will that cause any problem in approval of PRTD? Please suggest

Also my salary slips has old house address too.

Leigh7

Jan 30, 2022
Hi. How many photo have you uploaded? Have u included the back of the photo which states the ur name, dob, date taken and name of photography