+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD during Covid Times

rex230

Dec 9, 2019
Can anyone who has applied for PRTD in the recent past comment on how easy/difficult it is and how long does it take to receive PRTD from USA ?

We recently landed in Canada and need to cross land border and go to United states for collecting our dog from whom we've been away for a while. Looking at current PR card wait times I don't think we will receive a physical PR card before September.

I've spoken to border officials a couple times who've suggested that commercial carrier is the only option to get the pet before border open officially. We are not too keen on using this option since the prices are just not affordable plus it adds risk for the dog during travel. My husband has US tourist Visa which he can use to enter into US , however while coming back he will need a PRTD as we are getting told.

Can anyone suggest any possible other options to get our dog ? Our dog sitters are american citizens who are willing to cross the border, However the border closure just keep extending and may not open until end of the year.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can anyone who has applied for PRTD in the recent past comment on how easy/difficult it is and how long does it take to receive PRTD from USA ?

We recently landed in Canada and need to cross land border and go to United states for collecting our dog from whom we've been away for a while. Looking at current PR card wait times I don't think we will receive a physical PR card before September.

I've spoken to border officials a couple times who've suggested that commercial carrier is the only option to get the pet before border open officially. We are not too keen on using this option since the prices are just not affordable plus it adds risk for the dog during travel. My husband has US tourist Visa which he can use to enter into US , however while coming back he will need a PRTD as we are getting told.

Can anyone suggest any possible other options to get our dog ? Our dog sitters are american citizens who are willing to cross the border, However the border closure just keep extending and may not open until end of the year.
It's not clear if you plan to fly or drive. If drive, you only need your COPR to returm.

Reactions: rex230

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As above in normal circumstances for a land border crossing you would only need a COPR and passport to come back into Canada if you did not have a PR card handy, a PRTD would be needed for air travel without a PR card.

There is no published processing time for PRTDs although people often talk in terms of weeks.

The land border restrictions apply in both directions and this would assume would not be considered essential travel so currently your husband having a US visa does not really help to get into the US.

Have to wait see whether current restrictions are eased post believe the current July 21 date although seems doubtful the way the US is going with COVID.

rex230

Dec 9, 2019
As above in normal circumstances for a land border crossing you would only need a COPR and passport to come back into Canada if you did not have a PR card handy, a PRTD would be needed for air travel without a PR card.

There is no published processing time for PRTDs although people often talk in terms of weeks.

The land border restrictions apply in both directions and this would assume would not be considered essential travel so currently your husband having a US visa does not really help to get into the US.

Have to wait see whether current restrictions are eased post believe the current July 21 date although seems doubtful the way the US is going with COVID.
Thank you for the reply.

You are right, the official confirmed over the phone that COPR is valid enough for re-entry if you don't have PR card yet. USA , However might not accept Tourist visa currently. Hopefully the border opens with certain restrictions for people like us.