+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD Approved. Application for new PR submitted to CIC in June 2016

WinScot

Oct 23, 2016
Hi guys,

I have a quick question:

I applied for PR renewal in June 2016 and Left Canada to visit family. In Septmber 2016, CIC asked for travel history. I told them I was outside. They asked to apply for PRTD. PRTD was approved on November 7, 2016. The PRTD expires in May 2017.

CIC previously asked me to send them a copy of the PRTD.

Now, I have mailed them the copy of the PRTD.

Question: Will they now issue a new PR card (either via mail or physical pick-up) or I will have to reapply? It makes sense if they just issue it now because my application for renewal is already wth CIC (since June 2016).

And if I will be asked to reapply, how long will it take to get it?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Sincerely,

WS

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
WinScot said:
Hi guys,

I have a quick question:

I applied for PR renewal in June 2016 and Left Canada to visit family. In Septmber 2016, CIC asked for travel history. I told them I was outside. They asked to apply for PRTD. PRTD was approved on November 7, 2016. The PRTD expires in May 2017.

Question: Will they now issue a new PR card (either via mail or physical pick-up) or I will have to reapply? It makes sense if they just issue it now because my application for renewal is already wth CIC (since June 2016).

Sincerely,

WS
I suppose you don't need to reapply for PR card as you have already applied for renewal. You can check your e-cas status online to check your application status. Although it might not be accurate however make sure there is someone at your mailing address in Canada to continuously look for mails from CIC.

ikhan2016

Nov 13, 2016
WinScot said:
Hi guys,

I have a quick question:

Sincerely,

WS
Hi WS,

Did you specifically request for a 6 month validity for the PRTD or did they give you the validity till May 2017 on their own? Did you mention any ''expected travel date'' on the PRTD application and did they issue the PRTD as per that date?

Regards

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
WinScot said:
Hi guys,

I have a quick question:

Sincerely,

WS
Again, congratulations.

It is likely that IRCC will proceed to approve the application for a new PR card but my guess is that you will be required to pick it up in person. And this may not be available until IRCC is notified you are back in Canada. But as I note in a longer response in the other related topic, we have seen rather few reliable reports about situations like this, so it is to a significant extent unknown how this will actually, in practice, unfold.

For now your PR status is affirmed and valid. Most prudent course of action, from here, would be to come to Canada to settle and stay as soon as reasonably practical.

More in-depth response from other topic:

dpenabill said:
Congratulations on successfully obtaining the PR TD.

I am not so sure that the issuance of a PR TD in your case means that there was a specific finding your employment abroad satisfied the conditions for credit based on employment abroad for a Canadian business, since the initial indication from the Visa Office challenged that, gave you an opportunity to submit more information, and your response (wisely) made a cogent case for alternatively granting you the PR TD based on what are, in effect, H&C grounds, rooted in your good faith reliance on the employment qualifying for the exception.

The PR TD itself may or may not specify the particular basis for the decision to grant the PR TD. If it does, if for example it specifies or has a code indicating it was an H&C decision, please share that information.

Otherwise, however, for you in particular the basis on which the PR TD was granted may be said to be a distinction without a difference, in that either way the issuance of the PR TD constitutes a positive adjudication that your PR status is valid, at least as of the date the PR TD is granted.

Because of this, it is likely your application for a new PR card likewise will be granted. Since there have been rather few reliable accounts of actual experience in these situations, how this will in practice unfold is largely an unknown. My guess is that there will be a favourable decision to issue and deliver a new PR Card, but that IRCC will want an in person pick-up. That is just my guess.

In any event, however, the grant of the PR TD means your PR status is for now retained.

If your plans are to return to Canada to settle and stay, and you do so within the period of time the PR TD is valid, you are good to go, meaning good to stay in Canada as a PR, with the usual privileges and benefits of PR, including being able to travel abroad and return to Canada (so long as you continue to be in compliance with the PR RO).

If, however, you are not coming to Canada to settle and stay before May next year, you should be particularly cautious about how long you stay outside Canada. A new PR card will not guarantee you can retain your PR status if you fail to stay in compliance with the PR RO. On the contrary, actually, your history is likely to be taken into consideration during any future PR RO examination, and remember that a PR can be subject to a RO compliance determination any time the PR goes through a PoE to enter Canada, no matter how new the PR card is. (There is a significant prospect your record will be flagged for future screening as to compliance with the PR RO.)

Also be aware, for example, if the PR TD was granted on the basis of your good faith belief that the employment would qualify for the credit, that will not work again, in the future, if you are asking for credit for time employed abroad that does not meet the strict technical requirements for the credit.

WinScot

Oct 23, 2016
Hi!

So, let's say the PRTD will expire by April 30th, 2017. How late one can travel with the PRTD? In other words, would it be safe in this case to delay the travell back till let's say April 25th, 2017? Or are there any rules arroung this?

Thanks.

WS