LANDED..........
24-11-2016
ttrajan said:
Did you apply though VFS India?
Yes, TTRajan, that's the only option.

rsirish

Dec 1, 2016
Yes, TTRajan, that's the only option.
Hi Amusingfirefly, it's good to know that you received your PRTD on time. My wife is in a similar situation. We completed our landing formalities beginning of this month and returned to india a week later. Fortunately, my wife received a job offer and has to be in Canada by early next month. The only option now is to apply for a PRTD since the PR card will only arrive 2 months later. Quickly wanted to check with you the documents you need to submit to apply for PRTD. The saw the application form and the only documents we have with us to submit is the landing confirmation/COPR, and SIN. Will these be sufficient to proceed with the application? Appreciate your time and help.

Sirish

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Amusingfirefly, it's good to know that you received your PRTD on time. My wife is in a similar situation. We completed our landing formalities beginning of this month and returned to india a week later. Fortunately, my wife received a job offer and has to be in Canada by early next month. The only option now is to apply for a PRTD since the PR card will only arrive 2 months later. Quickly wanted to check with you the documents you need to submit to apply for PRTD. The saw the application form and the only documents we have with us to submit is the landing confirmation/COPR, and SIN. Will these be sufficient to proceed with the application? Appreciate your time and help.

Sirish
She must act quickly - the average time to process in India is 2 months. As an alternative, if she has a US visa, she can return to Canada via a land border with her passport and expired COPR.

Gary6028

Jun 21, 2017
Hi All,
I became a landed resident in June 2016, however had to return back to India due to family emergency before receiving my PR card in August 2016. I am now ready to go back to Canada however need guidance on how to return.
What kind of documents will I require for applying a PRTD?
What is the validity period on the PRTD, if any?
Is there an alternate way? I have a valid US B1/B2 visa.

Thanks,
Gary

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
You can apply PRTD with a copy of COPR through VFS India. Processing time is around 2 weeks. You can enter Canada via USA by private car with your COPR and passport. Also Someone can bring or send PR card by DHL courier.

Gary6028

Jun 21, 2017
You can apply PRTD with a copy of COPR through VFS India. Processing time is around 2 weeks. You can enter Canada via USA by private car with your COPR and passport. Also Someone can bring or send PR card by DHL courier.
Thanks for a quick response. Any clue if the PRTD has a validity period from date of issuance?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Generally 6 months validity but one time entry visa.

mikeshiller

Feb 28, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks for the very useful information and advice on this topic. It helped me a lot and I eventually decided to go for the safe alternative - i.e., change my date of return to some time in February and apply for the PRTD here in New Delhi. I applied on 16th January 2017, and am yet to receive any notification of success. I will update the status here once it is done.

As I mention above, I think this whole system is ridiculous and needs an overhaul. The whole thing about Visa is outdated. All people should have is a passport, and the airline companies/immigration authorities/etc should have access to an online system which has records of the permissions/visas that the passport has. That way there can be no tampering of visas or weird ridiculous things like this when someone is a PR and they can't go back to the place where they are a PR. All because people can't print a plastic card for 2 months. I can't believe this is happening in the 21st century.

This is similar to my experience with getting my Work Permit. While the usual processing time was about 2 weeks, back in 2014, my work permit took about 2 months to come, and I almost lost a job offer due to it. What is the reason you might ask? I called CIC during that time and they told me that the one office (and yes there is only one office) that prints the Work Permit document in Canada had only one printer that did it - and it was malfunctioning, and hadn't been repaired for 3 weeks. (!)

you nicely explained scenario and information, did you apply through vfsglobal , what supporting documents you provided along with your passport?

MWQ

Star Member
Jan 23, 2015
Hello,

I had landed in Canada at April 2017 as a permanent resident and due to compulsory reasons; I had to leave Canada in May 2017, before receiving my PR card.

now I wish to apply for a PRTD & return back in December, how much troubling my case will be & what are the chances that my application could be rejected?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I had landed in Canada at April 2017 as a permanent resident and due to compulsory reasons; I had to leave Canada in May 2017, before receiving my PR card.

now I wish to apply for a PRTD & return back in December, how much troubling my case will be & what are the chances that my application could be rejected?
If you wish to get PRTD, you would take the chances.

R

rish888

@MWQ

As per immigration regulations you enter Canada by right; your PRTD application cannot be denied.

The embassy can take a crap ton of time to process it, but at the end of the day it must be approved.

If you want to dictate the timeline of your entry to Canada, your only option is to enter Canada via the U.S. Land Border. Land in the US, fly to an airport near the Canadian border, then take a one way car rental. The border crossing can be made with your passport and CoPR.

MWQ

Star Member
Jan 23, 2015
@MWQ

As per immigration regulations you enter Canada by right; your PRTD application cannot be denied.

The embassy can take a crap ton of time to process it, but at the end of the day it must be approved.

If you want to dictate the timeline of your entry to Canada, your only option is to enter Canada via the U.S. Land Border. Land in the US, fly to an airport near the Canadian border, then take a one way car rental. The border crossing can be made with your passport and CoPR.
Thank you. but how much time we talking about. also I reside in Saudi arabia at the moment. if i applyed and been accepted for a US visiter visa would that workout.

Last edited:

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I know I have to "take the chance". I was asking if I am in trouble and if there is a reason could be used to reject my PRTD.
You are not in danger of being unable to complete your RO requirements so they will give you a PRTD. I don't know how long it would take though.