+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD…

SNSCanada

May 18, 2023
When did you actually get PR? How many years have you lived in Canada since then? Covid can not explain an absence of over 5 years. After the first 5 years the 730 days out of 5 years becomes a rolling total so you have likely been out of compliance with your RO for over 5 years. Did you all return to Canada to apply for PR card renewals? When was that?
(1) Got PR in 2010 and stayed till 2014. (2) Worked full time from Outside Canada for Canadian Company. (3) In last 5 years, not visited to Canada but worked part time for Government funded entity. (4) Not visited to Canada to apply from inside Canada as our PR card was lapsed and not opted USA route although I have visited dozens time to USA for work from outside Canada (5) Informed all these facts and not meeting RO criteria to IRCC on web request and only after suggestion from them applied for family PRTD (6) My documentary supports and facts are ok for assessment, informed by immigration office. No additional documents asked yet.

SNSCanada

May 18, 2023
Every person is evaluated individually. Children who are close to 18 have the best chance of getting approved for PRTD based on H&C due to being removed as a minor and having ties to Canada. It sounds as though your child has spent some time studying in Canada although not recently. A young adult’s approval has minimal impact on the rest of the family’s chances of obtaining PRTDs. The child could not easily return to Canada to live on their own to meet RO while you and your spouse had the ability to live in Canada and maintain RO. Your minor child is still not able to move without you so is still considered part of the family unit with the parents. Most countries have allowed travel during Covid and you could probably justify not being able to travel for up to 2 years but you have not been in Canada for over 5 years. If you are able to work from your current location there wouldn’t be anything preventing you from continuing to do so. In general nobody can predict what the outcome of PRTDs based on H&Cs will be and what the timeframe for response will be. Assume there is a good chance that you should get a response before the 1 year anniversary of your PRTD submission. Whether within weeks or months is tough to say
Highly appreciated adequate response and positive view by you. Based on my versatile global exposure, qualifications and Canadian experience of 9 years, I am optimistic for family PRTD. I did 8 months of analysis, discussed my case with many lawyers (mostly asked high fees with no positive chance or guarantee) before submission of application. I am thankful to IRCC to approve for adult kid, now happy as a scholarship student in University of Toronto. I am selected for senior level job position too but company is not willing to give offer letter before my arrival to Canada so I can't use that and without visa/PRTD, ticket can't be booked so can not request for "urgent case".

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Highly appreciated adequate response and positive view by you. Based on my versatile global exposure, qualifications and Canadian experience of 9 years, I am optimistic for family PRTD. I did 8 months of analysis, discussed my case with many lawyers (mostly asked high fees with no positive chance or guarantee) before submission of application. I am thankful to IRCC to approve for adult kid, now happy as a scholarship student in University of Toronto. I am selected for senior level job position too but company is not willing to give offer letter before my arrival to Canada so I can't use that and without visa/PRTD, ticket can't be booked so can not request for "urgent case".
Can you still travel through USA?

Olaoni

Apr 23, 2023
M
Every person is evaluated individually. Children who are close to 18 have the best chance of getting approved for PRTD based on H&C due to being removed as a minor and having ties to Canada. It sounds as though your child has spent some time studying in Canada although not recently. A young adult’s approval has minimal impact on the rest of the family’s chances of obtaining PRTDs. The child could not easily return to Canada to live on their own to meet RO while you and your spouse had the ability to live in Canada and maintain RO. Your minor child is still not able to move without you so is still considered part of the family unit with the parents. Most countries have allowed travel during Covid and you could probably justify not being able to travel for up to 2 years but you have not been in Canada for over 5 years. If you are able to work from your current location there wouldn’t be anything preventing you from continuing to do so. In general nobody can predict what the outcome of PRTDs based on H&Cs will be and what the timeframe for response will be. Assume there is a good chance that you should get a response before the 1 year anniversary of your PRTD submission. Whether within weeks or months is tough to say
My PRTD application status shows Submitted for over 3 month that I have applied, do you know what that means.. please!

SNSCanada

May 18, 2023
Can you still travel through USA?
Thanks for advise. USA travel visa is showing appointment date availability of next year (from home country India). Return confirmed ticket also need to show. I will wait for IRCC decision, based on my honest disclosure done. Planning of going through road via USA with family+luggage is more uncertain thought on pure discretion of boarder authorities.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for advise. USA travel visa is showing appointment date availability of next year (from home country India). Return confirmed ticket also need to show. I will wait for IRCC decision, based on my honest disclosure done. Planning of going through road via USA with family+luggage is more uncertain thought on pure discretion of boarder authorities.
A simple "no don't have a visa right now" would he far clearer.

Reactions: Ponga

SNSCanada

May 18, 2023
Thanks a lot. To sum up, I am outside Canada from over 5 years but working online part time on assignments for Canadian entities and attached with professional bodies with my published articles. I have applied PRTD in August 2022 on H&C for 2 kids, self and spouse, Adult kid received approval in 4 months after IRCC call to me and he is relocated to Canada. After further 4 months I received response on web query to resubmit all documents again and 5 weeks ago last email received that "we have received all the information and officer will intimate decision or connect if further details will be needed". I do not have USA visa (Expired) for self or 2 family members. Should I wait for IRCC on my H&C ground or can remit PR prescribed relocation funds in my active Canadian Bank and request to IRCC via new web form that I am ready in all aspect with willingness to settle. Can I also mention that I am sole sponsor of my Son, in college of Canada and that approval will allow him and my 2nd kid to start Canadian study from September ? I have over 9 years of Canadian experience and referrals are available. I am in high skilled professional category with 3 of Big 5 Consulting firm's of globe exposure so easy to get Job or start Audit-Financing-Tax practice.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Can I also mention that I am sole sponsor of my Son, in college of Canada and that approval will allow him and my 2nd kid to start Canadian study from September ?
If this is the son who got the PRTD RC-1, you need to let him travel before his PRTD expires.
He is your son, so I assume you will "sponsor" him regardless of your own immigration state. And he should be old eoungh to come back to Canada by himself to attend school. (that's the reason why he got his PRTD)

Reactions: armoured

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Have no idea you went to US several times for the past years. you must have a B1/2 VISA to do this buisness trip.
As a person with a valid B1/2 and no bad travel record, you are 100% qualified for a non-interview approvel to renew your visa, just ask the questioniry and give this information. At the end of the application, they just ask you to send your passport and photoes to a desitinated consulate, and cost two weeks you get your passport back with a new US B1/2 visa.
For people have never been to US, it's a nightmare now to make a visa interview. Generally more than 1 year waiting. But it's much friendly for people proven good visitors. You can do this even if your US visa has expired up to two years. Catch the opportunity. Or, is there any difference for Indian Nationals?

Last edited:
Reactions: SNSCanada

SNSCanada

May 18, 2023
If this is the son who got the PRTD RC-1, you need to let him travel before his PRTD expires.
He is your son, so I assume you will "sponsor" him regardless of your own immigration state. And he should be old eoungh to come back to Canada by himself to attend school. (that's the reason why he got his PRTD)
My 18+ Son has applied for 3 top university in December 2022 as PR, received stamped H&C RC-1 PRTD in January 2023, Admission offer from all applied universities in March end, opted best with scholarship. He landed smoothly in April 1st week to Canada and settled well. My point is, Is this point is considerable by immigration office that "It would be better if family will live together and as a main applicant I will be comfortably sponsor both kids (2nd is minor) from my taxable earning in Canada. Is same H&C grounds not considered to approve for all family members ? I have history to live and worked in Canada for over 8 years (2.5 year as PR, rest on work permit) and still working for Canadian entities (although not full time to clain RO exemption).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My 18+ Son has applied for 3 top university in December 2022 as PR, received stamped H&C RC-1 PRTD in January 2023, Admission offer from all applied universities in March end, opted best with scholarship. He landed smoothly in April 1st week to Canada and settled well. My point is, Is this point is considerable by immigration office that "It would be better if family will live together and as a main applicant I will be comfortably sponsor both kids (2nd is minor) from my taxable earning in Canada. Is same H&C grounds not considered to approve for all family members ? I have history to live and worked in Canada for over 8 years (2.5 year as PR, rest on work permit) and still working for Canadian entities (although not full time to clain RO exemption).
It is possible that they are evaluating his case separately (as now an adult), and approved your son as a removed-as-minor case since he now wishes to return at ~18yo.

If so, doesn't tell you much about the disposition of your case (and other family members). Only that they chose to evaluate his case separately (possibly because easier).

Note, i do not know this for a fact - just that your assumption that these cases are all mutually dependent may be wrong, or at least in his case as an adult.

SNSCanada

May 18, 2023
Have no idea you went to US several times for the past years. you must have a B1/2 VISA to do this buisness trip.
As a person with a valid B1/2 and no bad travel record, you are 100% qualified for a non-interview approvel to renew your visa, just ask the questioniry and give this information. At the end of the application, they just ask you to send your passport and photoes to a desitinated consulate, and cost two weeks you get your passport back with a new US B1/2 visa.
For people have never been to US, it's a nightmare now to make a visa interview. Generally more than 1 year waiting. But it's much friendly for people proven good visitors. You can do this even if your US visa has expired up to two years. Catch the opportunity. Or, is there any difference for Indian Nationals?
Yes, I have clean track of USA, Twice get B1/B2 from Canada and have 10+ travel history till prior to covid era. I am a qualified CPA of USA too and can get meeting/conference/business invitation easily. Thanks for the suggestion, will try for fresh B1/B2 visa and update here.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, I have clean track of USA, Twice get B1/B2 from Canada and have 10+ travel history till prior to covid era. I am a qualified CPA of USA too and can get meeting/conference/business invitation easily. Thanks for the suggestion, will try for fresh B1/B2 visa and update here.
Obviously if you can get it, it's better to have the option. But: good chance it may take longer to get the USA visa than a decision made on PRTD (at least from what I've heard about waits for US visas).

More importantly, if only you get US visa, doesn't resolve situation for your spouse and other children.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don't see an adult studying vs "living with parents" being H&C consideration. As his H&C RC-1 is given because he was removed by parents from Canada before he turns of adult age and can decide where he lives.

Usually H&C is for minor children.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't see an adult studying vs "living with parents" being H&C consideration. As his H&C RC-1 is given because he was removed by parents from Canada before he turns of adult age and can decide where he lives.

Usually H&C is for minor children.
Yes, the point I was trying to make - like you - in response to the comment "Is same H&C grounds not considered to approve for all family members ?" - and the answer is 'not necessarily.'

Therefore the idea that the one son got his RC-1 coded visa does not at all guarantee H&C approved for all.

I'd add that quite a lot of the comments above are about what-a-great-PR/employee/taxpayer he is or would be, but I haven't seen anything (although may have missed) that really explains what the H&C grounds are (apart from having ties to Canada - albiet not so strong as to have visited in the last five years), so impossible to comment on likeihood. Recognizing of course that even if we knew all details, 'comments' would not give much insight into actual approval either - it's in IRCC's hands - but rather that there's not much here mentioned that's H&C really (such as reasons why not visiting or residing in Canada).