+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proxy Marriage

YSL1989

Dec 15, 2015
Part of the Canadian laws involve not recognizing proxy marriages. That was easy to google before seeking or agreeing to be a Canadian protected person. So was the fact that you would lose your protected status if you used your Syrian passport or returned to Syria.
This is a new regulation effective 2015. Anyway, my point is that the regulation have to be thorough and comprehensive and consider every possible situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is an option but it is very costly. Another concern is that I can't guarantee that Malaysian officials will accept our passports as IDs for marriage purpose since I will not be holding any residence card there for such a short trip.
You don't need a residence card to marry there. You can marry as tourists.

Reactions: YSL1989

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I want to sponsor my spouse and my marriage must be through proxy because I can't enter my home country Syria (for security reason) and my spouse can't get visa to almost any country because she is Syrian national.
Moreover, IRCC may revoke my permanent residence status if I entered Syria because I entered Canada as a refugee.
I believe that there is contradiction in the two requirements (one prevents me from entering my home country with the risk of losing my PR and another makes it compulsory to do so to be present in the wedding ceremony!)
What alternatives do I have?
Can I have an exception from IRCC? who should I contact?

Thanks
What is the relationship history? Conjugal could be an option.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Think there is likely to be an option to marry in a country in south east Asia. For conjugal to be an option OP would need to show that he and his fiancee had tried to meet in various countries and couldn't find one that would accept his RTD and would grant his wife a visa. She would likely have to return to Syria until spousal sponsorship is approved. Don't know if OP already has their PR or how long he has been in Canada.
No, they would not need to show that. There are more than 190 other countries in the world; IRCC does not require people to prove that they couldn't go to any of those countries.

Conjugal couples need to show legal/immigration barriers preventing them from marrying or becoming common-law in Canada and in the applicant's country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is a new regulation effective 2015. Anyway, my point is that the regulation have to be thorough and comprehensive and consider every possible situation.
When it comes to arranged proxy marriages there can be much more fraud and women can easily be forced into situations without their consent. Very hard to prove the legitimacy of an arranged proxy marriage.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Unfortunately, no photos or conjugal relationship. Actually the relationship is new.
In that case you are going to have a problem even if you did manage to get married. IRCC’s suspicious of new relationships where the sponsored person is likely to gain significant immigration benefits.

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
Unfortunately, no photos or conjugal relationship. Actually the relationship is new.
Have you ever met this woman in person? Am I understanding this right? You want to sponsor a woman that you want to marry with having no history with, and have never met in person? Is this right? If this is right, then someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you have no chance of getting this application approved.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, they would not need to show that. There are more than 190 other countries in the world; IRCC does not require people to prove that they couldn't go to any of those countries.

Conjugal couples need to show legal/immigration barriers preventing them from marrying or becoming common-law in Canada and in the applicant's country.
Think your understanding of conjugal relationship is incorrect based on IRCC definition. Given this seems like more of an arranged marriage with major limitations due to travel restrictions you are going to struggle to prove conjugal. Understandably many Syrians may also be looking for ways to ensure immigration when looking for potential spouses for their children. Unfortunately IRCC will be looking out for this as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't heard that proxy marriages are common in the Syrian communities like in other countries/communities. In general for arranged marriages IRCC wants to see as much contact between the 2 spouses as possible in person and via text/chat/phone/etc/ as well as following normal customs when it comes to marriage.

Last edited:

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Can you give an overview of the relationship? When and how you met, have you met in person, etc?

I agree with the others: if you haven't met in person even once that alone would probably be insurmountable, never mind anything else.

YSL1989

Dec 15, 2015
Can you give an overview of the relationship? When and how you met, have you met in person, etc?

I agree with the others: if you haven't met in person even once that alone would probably be insurmountable, never mind anything else.
* Actually we have never met in person but we are on touch on daily basis via messages, calls, and video calls.
* The relationship is new and we are communicating to know more one another.
* I am planning to go to Sudan (the only country right now that gives visa to Syrian national) to make my wedding ceremony, having some photos and submit my application.
* Conjugal relationship is impossible because we are not able to meet at least before even live together.
* In Syria, marriage can be arranged through proxy (formal delegation to one relative to be on my behalf).
* In all countries worldwide and under the normal conditions, marriage is arranged after many in-person meetings (even not only one) but unfortunately, we have abnormal situation in Syria and after the crisis, more than 170 countries worldwide requires Syrian national to have visa before entry.
* Moreover, I have unsuccessful marriage in Canada and now I am during separation period!

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
* Actually we have never met in person but we are on touch on daily basis via messages, calls, and video calls.
* I am planning to go to Sudan (the only country right now that gives visa to Syrian national) to make my wedding ceremony, having some photos and submit my application.
* Conjugal relationship is impossible because we are not able to meet at least before even live together.
* In Syria, marriage can be arranged through proxy (formal delegation to one relative to be on my behalf).
* In all countries worldwide and under the normal conditions, marriage is arranged after many in-person meetings (even not only one) but unfortunately, we have abnormal situation in Syria and after the crisis, more than 170 countries worldwide requires Syrian national to have visa before entry.
* Moreover, I have unsuccessful marriage in Canada and now I am during separation period!
You cannot get married again until your divorce is finalized.
So there is nothing you can do right now anyway.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
You should expect a lot of scrutiny if you get married during your first visit and after a short long distance courtship. I would strongly suggest you try and maybe wait a bit longer or have another visit or anything at all that would strengthen the way your relationship looks before submitting.