+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proxy Marriage

YSL1989

Dec 15, 2015
Hello,

I want to sponsor my spouse and my marriage must be through proxy because I can't enter my home country Syria (for security reason) and my spouse can't get visa to almost any country because she is Syrian national.
Moreover, IRCC may revoke my permanent residence status if I entered Syria because I entered Canada as a refugee.
I believe that there is contradiction in the two requirements (one prevents me from entering my home country with the risk of losing my PR and another makes it compulsory to do so to be present in the wedding ceremony!)
What alternatives do I have?
Can I have an exception from IRCC? who should I contact?

Thanks

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,

I want to sponsor my spouse and my marriage must be through proxy because I can't enter my home country Syria (for security reason) and my spouse can't get visa to almost any country because she is Syrian national.
Moreover, IRCC may revoke my permanent residence status if I entered Syria because I entered Canada as a refugee.
I believe that there is contradiction in the two requirements (one prevents me from entering my home country with the risk of losing my PR and another makes it compulsory to do so to be present in the wedding ceremony!)

Thanks
1. As a refugee from Syria, you are going to have to find a way to marry outside Syria.
2. No, there are no exceptions from proxy marriages, unless you are in the Canadian military

Reactions: YSL1989

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Thanks
Proxy marriages aren't accepted by IRCC. I don't believe exceptions are granted.

I would look into traveling to a country such as Malaysia where your wife can go visa-free and getting married there in person.

Reactions: YSL1989

YSL1989

Dec 15, 2015
Hi

1. As a refugee from Syria, you are going to have to find a way to marry outside Syria.
2. No, there are no exceptions from proxy marriages, unless you are in the Canadian military
I tried to marry from Egypt but I also did not get a visa!
I don't think that is fair judgement.

YSL1989

Dec 15, 2015
As a protected person in Canada you were aware of your limitations. I can delay marriage until you receive citizenship
As a protected person, I didn't sign any document saying I should not marry from your home country.
Getting the citizenship will not change the situation. I face a real risk if I enter my home country.

Last edited:

YSL1989

Dec 15, 2015
Proxy marriages aren't accepted by IRCC. I don't believe exceptions are granted.

I would look into traveling to a country such as Malaysia where your wife can go visa-free and getting married there in person.
This is an option but it is very costly. Another concern is that I can't guarantee that Malaysian officials will accept our passports as IDs for marriage purpose since I will not be holding any residence card there for such a short trip.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As a protected person, I didn't sign any document saying I should not marry from your home country.
Getting the citizenship will not change the situation. I face a real risk if I enter my home country.
Part of the Canadian laws involve not recognizing proxy marriages. That was easy to google before seeking or agreeing to be a Canadian protected person. So was the fact that you would lose your protected status if you used your Syrian passport or returned to Syria.

Reactions: Addus

Addus

Star Member
Mar 27, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga - Inland
App. Filed.......
27-04-2018
AOR Received.
01-06-2018
Med's Request
24-09-2018
Med's Done....
25-09-2018
LANDED..........
11-04-2019
No details about the existing relationship were given but I am wondering if conjugal might be an option here?
If it’s really true you have made every effort and it’s literally impossible for you to marry but you are in a genuine relationship then isn’t that the exact case conjugal is meant to cover?

Maybe someone who is more familiar with conjugal could comment if you provided more info about your relationships and what steps you have taken or plan to take to try marrying.

It has a very high bar to prove though and you may not be eligible based on your situation, as such you should exhaust every other option.

I agree with the above posters that this isn’t “unfair” though. I sympathize with your situation but there are very good reasons proxy marriage and returning to a country you are seeking protection from are disallowed. Besides, nothing says the immigration rules have to be “fair”, just that they apply to everyone equally and are in the best interests of Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No details about the existing relationship were given but I am wondering if conjugal might be an option here?
If it’s really true you have made every effort and it’s literally impossible for you to marry but you are in a genuine relationship then isn’t that the exact case conjugal is meant to cover?

Maybe someone who is more familiar with conjugal could comment if you provided more info about your relationships and what steps you have taken or plan to take to try marrying.

It has a very high bar to prove though and you may not be eligible based on your situation, as such you should exhaust every other option.

I agree with the above posters that this isn’t “unfair” though. I sympathize with your situation but there are very good reasons proxy marriage and returning to a country you are seeking protection from are disallowed. Besides, nothing says the immigration rules have to be “fair”, just that they apply to everyone equally and are in the best interests of Canada.
Think there is likely to be an option to marry in a country in south east Asia. For conjugal to be an option OP would need to show that he and his fiancee had tried to meet in various countries and couldn't find one that would accept his RTD and would grant his wife a visa. She would likely have to return to Syria until spousal sponsorship is approved. Don't know if OP already has their PR or how long he has been in Canada.

Reactions: Addus

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
Miss scylla just have you a perfectly good option. Malaysia. I personally don't think it's FAIR that I am stuck in Saudi with my 2 Canadian children while my husband is forced to wait a year to do a background check because the CBSA is backlogged with refugee checks, but it is what it is. You knew what you were giving up when you came to Canada, and in my opinion, it was a very small price to pay for what you've gained. If you love your wife, find a way to make it work instead of complaining about our rules and regulations that are in place to keep us safe, just because thet are not convenient for you.
I tried to marry from Egypt but I also did not get a visa!
I don't think that is fair judgement.

Reactions: JYC

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Miss scylla just have you a perfectly good option. Malaysia. I personally don't think it's FAIR that I am stuck in Saudi with my 2 Canadian children while my husband is forced to wait a year to do a background check because the CBSA is backlogged with refugee checks, but it is what it is. You knew what you were giving up when you came to Canada, and in my opinion, it was a very small price to pay for what you've gained. If you love your wife, find a way to make it work instead of complaining about our rules and regulations that are in place to keep us safe, just because thet are not convenient for you.
The system isn't backlogged because of refugee cases. 1 year processing time for spousal sponsorship is much faster than most countries. Canada processes way more economic immigration and family reunification cases than refugees so you can blame those applicants more than the refugees.

Reactions: kcward7

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm not talking about the standard 1 year processing. Im taking about the background only
So am I. The 300,000 immigrants a year, international students, family reunification are not being delayed by refugee background checks. Refugees probably account for 5-10% of background checks.

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
So am I. The 300,000 immigrants a year, international students, family reunification are not being delayed by refugee background checks. Refugees probably account for 5-10% of background checks.
16%.... But sure I see your point

YSL1989

Dec 15, 2015
I totally agree that the law is eventually in the interest of Canada (not myseft or certain people) but on the other hand, there must be legal path for every situation. I am not committing any mistake or something against the law if I want to sponsor my spouse from my home country!
Canada is built by migration (which refugee is one of this kind) so there must be legal way and most importantly practical.
What I mentioned is not specific for my case but for every refugee. I hope you understand the situation.