+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proving that marriage/relationship is genuine

Xylnaeri

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Extended benefits are not health insurance. They are a top-up to provincial health insurance. Your partner needs to verify with the insurer (not his company HR) that they will cover you without provincial health coverage. If you are added and it turns out you did need provincial coverage, the insurer will go after you for any claims you made.

Being in BC, you will not receive provincial health coverage until you are well into the PR application or after you become a PR.
Oh okay, that's good to know!

What would another thing for the "important documents showing that you are recognized as eachothers spouse (insurance benefits, employment)" be?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Xylnaeri said:
Oh okay, that's good to know!

What would another thing for the "important documents showing that you are recognized as eachothers spouse (insurance benefits, employment)" be?
Being beneficiaries for life insurance is a good one.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Xylnaeri said:
What exactly is that? like how does it work?
One or both of you can purchase life insurance and name the other as the beneficiary.

Jeffuk88

Jan 22, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
29-06-2017
Doc's Request.
26-06-2017
AOR Received.
26-06-2017
Can you get Canadian life insurance when you're not PR?

Xylnaeri

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
One or both of you can purchase life insurance and name the other as the beneficiary.
How much does that cost?

Feb 3, 2017
Really getting overwhelmed with all the different opinions/experiences re proof of relationship.

I (Canadian citizen) met my wife (Hong Kong Chinese) 13 years ago when I moved to Hong Kong. We dated until 2007, when we were married on summer vacation in Canada. We also registered the marriage in Hong Kong when we returned. We have lived in Hong Kong ever since. We have two children, both born in Hong Kong, both with dual Canadian/Hong Kong citizenship. We are now planning to move back to Canada and have begun the paperwork.

We have many photos, and I've collected about 20 pics that show the progression of our 13 year relationship, including my Canadian family, her HK family, our wedding, the birth of our children. We don't have any 'chat logs' or emails, since we live together and speak face to face each day!

Will the photos, birth certs of our kids, passports be enough proof?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
TimKlippenstein said:
Really getting overwhelmed with all the different opinions/experiences re proof of relationship.

Have you actually looked at the checklist? It is very specific as to what proofs need to be provided.

wildemam

Nov 10, 2015
GTA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TimKlippenstein said:

I (Canadian citizen) met my wife (Hong Kong Chinese) 13 years ago when I moved to Hong Kong. We dated until 2007, when we were married on summer vacation in Canada. We also registered the marriage in Hong Kong when we returned. We have lived in Hong Kong ever since. We have two children, both born in Hong Kong, both with dual Canadian/Hong Kong citizenship. We are now planning to move back to Canada and have begun the paperwork.

We have many photos, and I've collected about 20 pics that show the progression of our 13 year relationship, including my Canadian family, her HK family, our wedding, the birth of our children. We don't have any 'chat logs' or emails, since we live together and speak face to face each day!

You need to worry about how to prove intention to go back to Canada. From what you said, your proof is solid. Any docs, financial ties, that would be great

Feb 3, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
Have you actually looked at the checklist? It is very specific as to what proofs need to be provided.
Thanks for the reply. Looking at the new checklist, you are right, it is much more clear. I was looking at checklist IMM 5491 (02-2016) E before, which simply says:

Proof of relationship to sponsor
As per document list provided with The Immigrant's Guide

(which seems to be a mystical document with no link on the CIC website, though I did download Guide 3999, Guide 3900 and Guide 3903e....)

Reactions: sasha18

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
TimKlippenstein said:
Thanks for the reply. Looking at the new checklist, you are right, it is much more clear. I was looking at checklist IMM 5491 (02-2016) E before, which simply says:

Proof of relationship to sponsor
As per document list provided with The Immigrant's Guide

(which seems to be a mystical document with no link on the CIC website, though I did download Guide 3999, Guide 3900 and Guide 3903e....)
Disregard the old application package. You need to just strictly follow the new one.